ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Well known Japanese mechanic or following maintenance procedures

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 04:12 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Well known Japanese mechanic or following maintenance procedures

Does everyone change their brake fluid every 30k like the manual says or do people wait? I service my 2013 ES350 at a very reliable local Japanese mechanic who says to only "inspect" brake fluid and not to replace it if it's clear -says it's a waste of money.

Now I have stopped going to the dealer for service because I think their prices are ridiculous and bloated for what you get. However, I will pay extra and get things done if there's consensus on replacing items. I'm doing the "60k" service soon, I have 58k. I will be replacing the A/C cabin filter and engine air filter myself -it's so easy so no point in paying big bucks to get that done. Wasn't sure on the brake fluid since my fluid is very clear and doesn't look contaminated at all.

Should I replace the brake fluid even though it's clear? Or listen to the well known Japanese mechanic shop in town?
Old 06-06-17, 04:26 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Should be pretty cheap and easy to replace brake fluid on the non-hybrid models, so I'd go ahead and do it. For the hybrid, you need to take it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer because each wheel's pumps need to be run in sequence, and the wrong move could damage the accumulator.
Old 06-06-17, 04:54 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
Does everyone change their brake fluid every 30k like the manual says or do people wait? I service my 2013 ES350 at a very reliable local Japanese mechanic who says to only "inspect" brake fluid and not to replace it if it's clear -says it's a waste of money.

Now I have stopped going to the dealer for service because I think their prices are ridiculous and bloated for what you get. However, I will pay extra and get things done if there's consensus on replacing items. I'm doing the "60k" service soon, I have 58k. I will be replacing the A/C cabin filter and engine air filter myself -it's so easy so no point in paying big bucks to get that done. Wasn't sure on the brake fluid since my fluid is very clear and doesn't look contaminated at all.

Should I replace the brake fluid even though it's clear? Or listen to the well known Japanese mechanic shop in town?
My understanding is that brake fluid over time will absorb water resulting in possible corrosion and/or reduced braking efficiency. As pointed out, it is relatively inexpensive to drain and refill the brake fluid by the dealer. I think it is one of the few dealer services that should be done according to their schedule. Other than that, I personally change my own oil and so I rarely visit the dealer - one of the benefits of owning a Lexus.
Old 06-06-17, 05:22 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328

I had similar experience with changing the brake fluid at the local Toyota dealer. At 30000 I asked specifically to change the brake fluid but the mechanic their told me he checked it and it doesn't need change, he then showed me a Prius he was working on that had over 100000 mile on the odometer with the brake fluid never been changed and the brake fluid still looked very clear.
I then took to Lexus and they did it. My car is the hybrid.
I then checked the maintenance schedule for the Toyota Avalon hybrid and there is no recommendation to change brake fluid at any interval.
To me it is strange that Lexus recommend it every 30000 mile and Toyota doesn't at any interval.
Old 06-06-17, 08:34 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

I am not sure how one can check if the brake fluid is OK without bleeding the system. Just because it is clear in the reservoir does not mean that it is OK. I have seen situations where the fluid in the reservoir is clear but it is black coming out of the bleeder nipples. Also, a very small amount of moisture in the system can potentially be corrosive and will not necessarily change the color of the fluid. My suggestion is to play it safe and replace the fluid. That is cheap insurance against replacement of calipers as they are expensive.
Old 06-06-17, 08:51 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
My understanding is that brake fluid over time will absorb water resulting in possible corrosion and/or reduced braking efficiency. As pointed out, it is relatively inexpensive to drain and refill the brake fluid by the dealer. I think it is one of the few dealer services that should be done according to their schedule. Other than that, I personally change my own oil and so I rarely visit the dealer - one of the benefits of owning a Lexus.
I should have added that since conventional brake fluids are hydroscopic it means they absorb water and would remain clear. So clarity based on "inspection" cannot be used as a sign of lack of contamination.
Old 06-07-17, 03:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

I would change every 30,000 miles. Lexus dealer charges me $100. My maintenance schedule. Every 10,000 miles an oil change and tire rotation at the Lexus dealership. This should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $24 labor.
Old 06-07-17, 06:48 AM
Yibo829
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a brake fluid moisture tester sold on amazon. It tells you how much moisture got absorbed into the fluid and it'll let you know if it's too much. If too much then change the fluid. I tested the brake fluid of my old Prius that has about 100,000 miles and it shows less than 2% moisture. I'd say that's pretty good. I opt to change the brake fluid on the Prius by a Toyota dealer around that mileage anyway. So I believe brake fluid should be good for more than 30,000 miles.
Old 06-08-17, 09:55 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I think completely changing the brake fluid at 30k miles is probably over the top. Almost like changing the coolant every 30k miles. Nothing wrong with it, but not very efficient. And the fact the manual doesn't recommend it is a pretty good clue.

You can get something like a turkey baster to suck it out at the reservoir and complete the job yourself in a few minutes for a few dollars if you want to be a stickler.

But to properly flush it all out, you need to bleed the brakes, and I think you're far more likely to create problems than prevent any doing that at such an early mileage interval.

They have meters that can measure moisture content, and I've seen brake fluid test within specs with close to 100k miles.
Old 06-08-17, 10:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
...And the fact the manual doesn't recommend it is a pretty good clue.
But, the manual does recommend it at 30k. That's the whole point of the thread.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (06-08-17)
Old 06-08-17, 01:37 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
But, the manual does recommend it at 30k. That's the whole point of the thread.
On previous manuals, I've seen "inspect" the fluid, but you are correct on this generation ES it says replace.

I still think it's more of a CYA move than anything, just like the 30k miles check ups tend to be just a sort of gravy service for the dealership that I wouldn't recommend. It also says to check the runout on rotors every 30k miles. Do you think any dealer regularly puts the rotors on a dial indicator and checks this?

Bottom line, your brake lines aren't going to rust out from not changing the brake fluid every 30k miles. I think a longer interval will be fine.
Old 06-08-17, 04:05 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Bottom line, your brake lines aren't going to rust out from not changing the brake fluid every 30k miles. I think a longer interval will be fine.
^^ I agree.
Old 09-28-20, 12:21 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
I am not sure how one can check if the brake fluid is OK without bleeding the system. Just because it is clear in the reservoir does not mean that it is OK. I have seen situations where the fluid in the reservoir is clear but it is black coming out of the bleeder nipples. Also, a very small amount of moisture in the system can potentially be corrosive and will not necessarily change the color of the fluid. My suggestion is to play it safe and replace the fluid. That is cheap insurance against replacement of calipers as they are expensive.
Good reply.

Brake fluid looks the worst near the calipers because that is where it gets hot.

BTW the bleeding procedure for the brakes are pretty involved. I am looking for the procedure now. I involves using Techstream.

I know, old thread..
Old 09-28-20, 12:26 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

On previous manuals, I've seen "inspect" the fluid, but you are correct on this generation ES it says replace.
Brake lines may not rust out but a master cylinder prob can be damaged with enough moisture.

and I wouldn't go by miles, I would go by time - it can take some people many years to drive 30k miles.