ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

missing a quick physical AC on/off button control for Lexus 2016-2017

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 03:25 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

This generation of ES does not have a good water drain under the AC evaporator in the dash. When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I did exactly that - left it on auto and set the temperature. But after 2 summers I had a horrible mold issue with the AC. Cost me $300 I think to get it sorted out, and the dealer had to repeat the mold removal process at no charge because the smell had not gone away.

The dealer told me that this is a known problem with this Gen ES. And the way to deal with it is to turn on the Compressor and then switch to fresh air. And then turn off the compressor 5-10 mins before the end of the trip and turn the fan on full to dry out the evaporator. The dealer told me this procedure. I have followed it and so far the smell has not come back. But I hate this about the car. I love everything else but this is too much of a pain. My current job is only 10 mins from home so I don’t turn on the AC in the sweltering heat and would not have time to dry the AC. I hate it.
Old 08-11-18, 04:14 PM
dxerg3770
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zes
This generation of ES does not have a good water drain under the AC evaporator in the dash. When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I did exactly that - left it on auto and set the temperature. But after 2 summers I had a horrible mold issue with the AC. Cost me $300 I think to get it sorted out, and the dealer had to repeat the mold removal process at no charge because the smell had not gone away.

The dealer told me that this is a known problem with this Gen ES. And the way to deal with it is to turn on the Compressor and then switch to fresh air. And then turn off the compressor 5-10 mins before the end of the trip and turn the fan on full to dry out the evaporator. The dealer told me this procedure. I have followed it and so far the smell has not come back. But I hate this about the car. I love everything else but this is too much of a pain. My current job is only 10 mins from home so I don’t turn on the AC in the sweltering heat and would not have time to dry the AC. I hate it.
Yep, same story here. Smell came about 2 summers into owning the car. I had to go through 2 cans of AC odor removal treatment to get the odor out. Now days I manually turn off AC in the summer time about 5 minutes before I park it over night and smell hasn't come back.
Old 08-12-18, 06:39 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I set it to auto and forget about it. No smell, no "stale air', no issues at all. 6 years and counting...
Old 08-12-18, 08:59 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

I suspect humidity has a lot to do with this problem. This week our humidity has been in the single digits and I haven’t noticed any odor. Our humidity is typically very low. That may explain why the issue doesn’t impact everyone.
Old 08-12-18, 01:20 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

My wife has an Altima and Camry before that. I had a Mazda Millenia before the ES. We never had any mold issue with those cars in all the years we lived in Columbus. Granted it is very humid there but the AC systems in those cars did not develop mold. The ES is a different story. And all these menus to get to the AC switch makes it double difficult.

All Lexus has to do it to provide a free software update, where:
1) The AC does not automatically go to recirculation mode when turned on.
2) If the AC was on during a trip, then after the ignition is shut off, the AC fan stays on for 10 additional minutes in fresh air mode. This would dry out the evaporator and eliminate the problem without much drain on the battery.

If I could hack into my car, I would do it myself, along with a could of other changes I can think about.
Old 08-13-18, 01:11 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I suspect humidity has a lot to do with this problem. This week our humidity has been in the single digits and I haven’t noticed any odor. Our humidity is typically very low. That may explain why the issue doesn’t impact everyone.
The other side of this coin is I live in Louisiana... month after month of unbearable humidity and never an issue with mold / odors of any sort.
Old 08-13-18, 01:15 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've owned Lexus vehicles for nearly 20 years...I've never had the need to turn "A/C" on or off. Just set the temp, hit AUTO and leave it alone
That's pretty much what I do as well... but on occasion, when the temperature is nice and cool, say mid 50's to 60 or so, I just want the outside air... wife doesn't like the windows rolled down because of her hair, so in those few instances I shut the compressor off... I would prefer a dedicated on / off switch, but I shut it off so rarely it's not an issue.
Old 08-13-18, 09:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I set it to auto and forget about it. No smell, no "stale air', no issues at all. 6 years and counting...
Same experience here, no issues leaving it in Auto.
Old 08-14-18, 05:31 PM
rriccardi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I highly doubt we'll be seeing any compressor failures on these cars within a 5 to 10 year period, due to this.

It seems strange to me, but after seeing all the threads regarding this issue, it must really bother people. Ever since I bought my first car with auto climate control, I've just set it and let it do its thing. I thought it was one of the greatest advances in car technology. No more fidgeting with the temp, vent and fan controls. The only thing I dislike about the ES's climate control is the way it defaults to recirc mode above 70 something degrees.
i agree. I had an 06 accord that was always on auto. Never had any problems. The new owner says the car still runs great and a/c is nice and cold.
Old 08-15-18, 02:56 PM
v27patel
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I also prefer an AC on and off button. I just like the greater control, like if I'm leaving in the morning and I don't want it super cold, I just flip my AC off but have the fans keep running.

It also keeps that moldy smell down also because you can flip it off a few minutes from your destination and it dries out the evaporator.

If it were up to me, I would have ZERO climate control through a computer screen. I just prefer traditional, easy to reach buttons without going through menus.
I understand a screen for functions like the stereo and smartphone integration, but I like old school buttons for everything else.
I absolutely agree. I'm very simplistic and liked having the ease of those old school buttons. We bought a new Benz GLC for my wife and I hate the control buttons on it. Almost everything has to be done through the computer screen. And it's not easy or quick to get to some of the functions.