ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

AUDIO HELP: ES 350 Aftermarket Head Units? Apple Carplay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 12:20 PM
LeftyBlack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDIO HELP: ES 350 Aftermarket Head Units? Apple Carplay?

Hi all, I'm about three days away from buying my first Lexus (2014 ES 350, the current .9% financing deal for certified pre-owned is too good to pass up!). BUT

I can't find any good information on aftermarket head units-- specifically ones that are compatible with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Crutchfield hasn't researched, CarID doesn't know, and Best Buy is ready to sell me a unit whether it will work or not. So many questions, but to begin:

1. Can I put an aftermarket head/nav unit that's compatible with apple/droid in the dash where the current screen is? Is there any way to make it work with the Lexus mouse?
2. Can I put an aftermarket head/nav unit that's compatible with apple/droid anywhere else in the front console? Will it conflict with the factory unit re: commands/resources? Where will it fit?
3. If the answer to 1. or 2. is yes, what unit is it and where do I buy it?

Finally, if someone has already answered this, can you point me to the thread? Thanks a ton.
Old 05-22-17, 01:23 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftyBlack
Hi all, I'm about three days away from buying my first Lexus (2014 ES 350, the current .9% financing deal for certified pre-owned is too good to pass up!). BUT

I can't find any good information on aftermarket head units-- specifically ones that are compatible with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Crutchfield hasn't researched, CarID doesn't know, and Best Buy is ready to sell me a unit whether it will work or not. So many questions, but to begin:

1. Can I put an aftermarket head/nav unit that's compatible with apple/droid in the dash where the current screen is? Is there any way to make it work with the Lexus mouse?
2. Can I put an aftermarket head/nav unit that's compatible with apple/droid anywhere else in the front console? Will it conflict with the factory unit re: commands/resources? Where will it fit?
3. If the answer to 1. or 2. is yes, what unit is it and where do I buy it?

Finally, if someone has already answered this, can you point me to the thread? Thanks a ton.
Anything can be done if you are willing to pay for it. To simply answer your questions, for an off the shelf system, no, there isn't anything that will work for what you want to do.
You will need to go completely custom and have the HVAC controls rerouted.
The following users liked this post:
LeftyBlack (05-22-17)
Old 05-22-17, 02:59 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

There is recent similar thread at: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...roid-auto.html

I have a 2014 ES/UL with an iPhone. Siri Eyes Free works well but there is no Apple Car Play available. I do not want a touch screen in my car, anyway--Lexus Remote Touch works great (you'll get used to it and realize it is a good "car-user-input" solution). Beat Sonic at http://www.beatsonicusa.com has an Apple CarPlay solution for the GS but I'm not holding my breath they'll make such for a [now] older ES. However, Beat Sonic also makes an iPhone mirroring kit where you can mirror you iPhone (e.g., Apple Maps, movies, the whole thing). Seems to work well based on videos and reviews I've seen...but I do not have any experience with such.
Old 05-22-17, 06:59 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

My ES300h is a bargain basement model that came with a simple black and white screen, without a mouse controller. I got a cheap Chinese Windows CE-based nav/audio unit to replace it. The unit has a touchscreen, a DVD player with USB stick input and came with a third party mouse lookalike that slots in where the original controller would go. HVAC controls, audio panel and steering wheel buttons are routed through a CANBUS box. The head unit uses the existing audio processor and amp for sound and Bluetooth calls.

I got it a while back and I'm sure there are Android versions capable of running Android Auto or some form of mirror mode now.