Lexus remote touch interface

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 08:49 AM
lexus789
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus remote touch interface

Hi all
after read many review about lexus remote touch interface that showing pros and cons now i am interested to write my opinion about it
so far I really enjoy using that "mouse" and didn't get any big problem as many people mentioned .
even it is very convenience to use and very unique as well , especially while compare it to common/mainstream system in bmw and many other similar ( turn **** )
This opinion doesn't intend to determine which one is the best but only explain lexus "mouse" is easy to use base on my experience in my Lexus RX270 Fsport and ES300h, not like some people said.
the haptic feature is very helpful to choose the menu on screen, i only need to move it slowly while feel the pulse, yes all we need is only move it slowly and feel the pulse to stop it at the button you want then push it..... done.
the haptic pulse also will in tune with how many button in screen, for example: the screen only have 2 buttons on top left and bottom right so the mouse can only be moved to those direction, no other option and it will definitely simplify the process.
please don't move the "mouse" too fast because it will make you slip and skip the button you want to select.
you can try to move it faster when you get used to it.
this is just my 2 cents.
Hope this simple tips will help you to enjoy your Lexus more.
The following users liked this post:
BIGABQ (05-06-17)
Old 05-03-17, 10:44 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

lexus789 I also have no issues with the Lexus mouse, I have used one since 2010. Like you, I find it very easy to use.
Old 05-05-17, 10:25 AM
lexus789
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by jollick
lexus789 I also have no issues with the Lexus mouse, I have used one since 2010. Like you, I find it very easy to use.
But i am surprised that many car review always put that thing in poor opinion like : irritating infotainment system, frustrating infotainment system, infuriating infotainment system, etc.
i don't know why they give those review , it is look weird for me , they should try it well before write review....... 😀
Old 05-05-17, 11:03 AM
roninlexus
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus789
But i am surprised that many car review always put that thing in poor opinion like : irritating infotainment system, frustrating infotainment system, infuriating infotainment system, etc.
i don't know why they give those review , it is look weird for me , they should try it well before write review....... ��
I agree but it would be a tough test to do quickly. Seems like a lot of complaints these days are around the infotainment systems. It sort of steered me away from Infinity, and of course the fact that Lexus hits such high marks sealed the deal (however I would like the HP and AWD). However I had no idea how I would like the controls/mouse when I got the car. It seemed logical and even an elegant way to control the unit. Now I'm hooked. I can touch that thing and make a change in a heartbeat. I see poor reviews (ie C&D) on this car and just chalk it up to "you can't please everyone". If there is a better system out there, I would like to see it. But I'm sure they are coming- the last ten years have brought some pretty amazing feature sets..
jollick (05-05-17)
Old 05-05-17, 03:50 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

The Remote Touch is nice and enables other in-cabin design solutions...most folks do not see this when they vote for touch-screen.

I have a 2014 ES with Remote Touch and it did take a couple weeks to become fluent with it--I even stiffened the haptic feedback a notch (which I recommend). Now, however, I cannot fathom a better "car/user interface" at this time. Desktop computers have mice. Portable computers have a touchpad. Handheld devices have touch (i.e., phones, iPads, etc.) Cars need a user interface suited for that MMI (Man-Machine-Interface). I'm an Apple fan but do not want touch screen in my car.

Touch screens are silly. First off, the screen has to be within reach. That limits a LOT of the center column in-cabin design--that's perhaps the biggest impediment. Second, you cannot cover the screen--it's always there, nearby, usually slanted towards the sun, and in the sunlight. Third, you have to take your eyes off the road see what you are doing to interact with it. Fourth, by putting the screen on the center column, you cannot put other stuff there...the screen always has to be "right there" in every configuration further limiting interior design.

After a while with the Remote Touch, I can move the mouse to display stuff I want. I have learned that "x haptic ticks" are required to display the climate controls, fuel usage, change to media or radio, for example. Not once did I take my eyes off the road. Once the screen is selected, I can glance at the info as I desire. As far as design, the Remote Touch allows the screen to be positioned away from the driver, under a sunlight cover, or even "somewhere else", all general advantages in design and to the in-cabin designer.

My two cents!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kijug:
jollick (05-05-17), lexus789 (05-06-17)
Old 05-05-17, 07:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
The Remote Touch is nice and enables other in-cabin design solutions...most folks do not see this when they vote for touch-screen.
Absolutely.

The remote touch allows for the screen to be further away from the driver, which, in turn, allows for the driver to check the screen by simply moving his/her eyes. With a touch screen, which would have to be closer to the driver, viewing the screen would require the driver to turn his/her head. That means that there is less time with the driver's eyes off of the road and safer driver than with a touch screen system.

With the remote touch, it is also possible to place the screen in a location where it is not going to be washed out by the glare from the sun.

Further, not having a touch screen means no ugly fingerprints on the screen.

I've now had about a half dozen cars with navigation systems. All but the two ES that I've owned have had touch screens, and I prefer the ES, with the remote touch, to any of the touch screen systems that I've had.
Old 05-06-17, 06:18 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree. Touch screens are undoubtedly easier to use than the mouse like interface, but it requires some compromises. I have had two cars with the remote "mouse-like" interfaces and two with touch screens. I now have the NX with a "touchpad" style interface. They all work acceptably well but none are perfect. I do prefer the remote interface so the screen can be deeper in the dash and have less sun glare. also, like Les said, the fingerprints on the touch screens were a source of frustration for me. I guess I just have too many OCD tendencies. I keep a fingerprint rag under the cover of my iPad because the fingerprints drive me crazy so you can imagine the touch screen in the car caused me some angst.
lexus789 (05-06-17)
Old 05-06-17, 11:51 PM
lexus789
Driver School Candidate

It is clear now , after read many replied from you guys, mostly are prefer "mouse" rather than touchscreen display, so writer of car review should try it well and get used to for a while before make a judgement , it will make their review more valuable and objective/trusted as well.
Old 05-08-17, 05:01 AM
Sammytime
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Lexus Enform Mouse

They said the same thing about the Cadillac CUE System and I never had any issues with it. All it takes is a little practice. You change any of the areas you need to; but have the car outside and running. The mouse is very easy to use especially if you have ever used a lap top with touch pad. Again, patience and practice.
Old 07-06-17, 04:55 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

isn't it more difficult, tedious, and time consuming to type in a full destination address with the RTI Joystick vs. a Touchscreen?
Old 07-06-17, 05:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
isn't it more difficult, tedious, and time consuming to type in a full destination address with the RTI Joystick vs. a Touchscreen?
My wife's CR-V has a touchscreen and my ES has the joystick. The only thing I like better about her nav, is the fact that the passenger can input an address while you're in motion. When stopped, I find it much easier and more ergonomic to use the joystick. Not to mention, if the ES's nav was a touchscreen, it would be next to impossible to use. It's set back far into the dash, which eliminates any glare.
Old 07-06-17, 05:33 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I find that inputting destinations using an on-screen keyboard, regardless of whether it is a touch screen or an RTI, to be tedious, but that tedium is largely irrelevant because of improvements in the ability to use voice commands to input destinations.

Using voice commands with the Generation 9 navigation system on the 2017 ES works quite well, and, even with the Generation 7 system on the 2013 and 2014 ES or the Generation 8 system on the 2015 or 2016 ES, voice commands work well if you use the Destination Search app available in the (free) Enform App Suite.

Since getting my 2017 ES (with the Generation 9) navigation system, I don't believe that I've input a destination any way other than with voice commands, and, when I had my 2013 ES, after the Destination Search app became available a couple of years ago, I don't recall having used anything but voice commands to input a destination. Plus, a bonus that comes with using the voice commands is that a destination can be set while the vehicle is moving.

And I'm confident that the Generation 10 navigation system, which will be starting to roll out with some 2018 Lexus vehicles will work even better with voice commands.
Old 07-06-17, 06:03 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
My wife's CR-V has a touchscreen and my ES has the joystick. The only thing I like better about her nav, is the fact that the passenger can input an address while you're in motion. When stopped, I find it much easier and more ergonomic to use the joystick. Not to mention, if the ES's nav was a touchscreen, it would be next to impossible to use. It's set back far into the dash, which eliminates any glare.
I agree the touch screen is not needed. The MAJOR issue I have with the infotainment system is the lack of support for Android Auto and Apple Car play. If Lexus & Toyota want to move forward and attract Millenials they need to upgrade the tech. let's be honest you can get Car Play and Android Auto in a Kia but not a Lexus......
Old 07-06-17, 07:27 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstu10
I agree the touch screen is not needed. The MAJOR issue I have with the infotainment system is the lack of support for Android Auto and Apple Car play. If Lexus & Toyota want to move forward and attract Millenials they need to upgrade the tech. let's be honest you can get Car Play and Android Auto in a Kia but not a Lexus......
agreed on Android Auto and Apple Car Play. BTW - how and why is what appears to be Google Maps showing up at 1:04? -

Lexus NX - Reveal at 2017 Shanghai Auto Show
Lexus International

Old 07-06-17, 11:34 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

agreed on Android Auto and Apple Car Play. BTW - how and why is what appears to be Google Maps showing up at 1:04? -

Lexus NX - Reveal at 2017 Shanghai Auto Show
Lexus International

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXfSkONGoJU
I am sure it wasn't a mistake but there is no way the NX will have AA and CP in 2018. It's disappointing that Toyota seems to be the last hold out. I just purchased a 2017 ES and if they don't upgrade the "tech" in 3 years I will go over to Mercedes or Acura.

Quick Reply: Lexus remote touch interface