ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

The fate of the RES+ in the ES350

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 07:12 PM
augustf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The fate of the RES+ in the ES350

I haven't seen anything recent about the RES+ (remote engine stater and telematics) system posted here, so I thought I'd let other ES owners know what happened to it. Starting around the end of 2016, AT&T began deactivating their 2G network nationwide. At that time, the 2G units in the RES+ ceased to work. It took me a few months of digging with the help of my dealer, but it turns out Lexus has no plans to do any retrofit/replacement of those units. So anyone with a 2G unit in their ES350's RES+ is out of luck. Having used this pretty extensive to heat and cool my car after a long commute back home, it's a pretty big blow to my use of the car. Customers in the RX (and possibly GX) series, though, are getting a fix, possibly due to differences in how it was implemented in those vehicles (or just being a bigger constituency of people with installed units).

I won't get too much into my interactions with Lexus USA except to say that they were very polite about the whole thing and offered me a small amount of money for the "inconvenience." But given the absence of third-party units I could reasonably install, that's not very helpful. I've written Peggy Turner (the VP for Customer Service) and my dealer has gone to their factory representative, but Lexus has been unwilling or unable to stand behind the car or its warranty. Hence the money, I suppose. I'm certainly glad that Lexus owned up to the issue relatively quickly, but really concerned about future purchases if they stand behind the all the parts of their cars except the "high tech" bits.
Old 04-22-17, 08:25 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the same thing occur with the Viper SmartStart system I have installed. Unfortunately ATT deactivated the 2G network so my unit was rendered useless. I don't see it necessary for Viper (or Lexus in your case) to offer a retrofit or upgrade free of charge considering they're being forced into obsolescence against their will. I think the discounted upgrade module or a small refund that they are offering is enough.

All this said, I think you should look into the 3G Viper SmartStart system. It should be a relatively easy install and you retain all the functions you have now so you can still start the car from the app or the keyfob and the pricing is decent.
Old 04-22-17, 08:40 PM
augustf
Driver School Candidate

This seems to have happened to a lot of people, although I really do wonder what sort of manufacturer was offering 2G units as late as 2014. In my case, however, the big issue was that Lexus was aware of the deprecated nature of the 2G network well before they offered the unit. So from the beginning, it was a ticking time bomb of a sort. It also came with an ongoing service fee which they continued to collect long after the service had become useless.

I've looked at a number of systems like the Viper SmartStart, as well as the Dr0neMobile (which is actually powered by the FT-7000AS from Firstech). But both involve having to put a keyfob inside the car somewhere and substituting the car's native lock/unlock system with a different one. I'm also unclear on how these systems with work non-passive keyfobs, and unfortunately they're all quite short on installation details. Aside from in all likelihood voiding the warranty, it's not the most secure or sustainable thing to be doing (especially once the keyfob battery you've buried behind the dash dies)

Originally Posted by yardie876
I had the same thing occur with the Viper SmartStart system I have installed. Unfortunately ATT deactivated the 2G network so my unit was rendered useless. I don't see it necessary for Viper (or Lexus in your case) to offer a retrofit or upgrade free of charge considering they're being forced into obsolescence against their will. I think the discounted upgrade module or a small refund that they are offering is enough.

All this said, I think you should look into the 3G Viper SmartStart system. It should be a relatively easy install and you retain all the functions you have now so you can still start the car from the app or the keyfob and the pricing is decent.
Old 04-23-17, 04:56 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The system I have installed on the car uses the existing keyfob. You don't have to keep an additional fob in the car or use an aftermarket one to start the car. This is all because of the "DB-ALL" module that is used. It uses the car's existing remote start interface so it works exactly like stock as opposed to aftermarket.
Old 04-23-17, 06:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Long ago when I found out that Lexus was to charge their customers for using RS after one year, I decided to install an aftermarket RS system. I have a 2013 with an Audiovox system that also utilizes the Lexus Smartkey and works identical to the factory WITHOUT A YEARLY FEE. It has better range than the factory module which, according to member's posts on here, is poor.

Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for implementing such a fiasco. Who wants a cash payment when you live in the NE U.S.A. and the temp outside is 20F? Lexus screwed this up from the start. One system, two systems, three systems, what a mess. Very, very POOR!
Old 04-23-17, 11:19 AM
augustf
Driver School Candidate

yardie876 - Thanks for the pointers! I'll keep that in mind during my search for a replacement.

bc6152 - Agreed. Mine was a web-based starter though, so I won't be able to get away without paying someone some recurring fee for the data service. Lexus broke their warranty terms flagrantly (hence the payout), because they really have no grasp of how to deal with technology that isn't engines, brakes, and the like. The infotainment and web-based stuff remains beyond their engineers' understanding (that's why they buy it all third-party from Panasonic et al), and when it breaks down, Lexus is clueless and unable to help. The cash payout adds insult to injury, since it does nothing to address the harm done to me -- harm they were aware of before the sale. In my letter to their Customer Service VP, I urged them to both get their technological act together (they're stuck in 1997) and support laws like New York's Right to Repair law, that would make the interfaces needed to do stuff like start the car remotely available to anyone willing to pay a small license fee.
Old 04-23-17, 11:55 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Augustf you are right on the money. Lexus continues to slide backwards as other manufacturers go forward and implement new and dynamic technology. Mechanical reliability is one of Lexus' great qualities. Technology, not so much...
Old 04-23-17, 12:26 PM
augustf
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't say that other manufacturers are going forward so much as nearly all the mainstream car manufacturers are dependent on buying third-party technology and integrating it -- be it the barebones infotainment stuff Lexus has or the Apple or Google integrations other manufacturers have. Some manufacturers make better decisions than others, but none of them have any competence in the area of interactive and web-connected car technology. Lexus, being Lexus, tends to make conservative and unadventurous technology choices, but they should be prepared to stand behind those choices as they are with any other car component - not run away from their obligations at the first sign of trouble.

Originally Posted by bc6152
Augustf you are right on the money. Lexus continues to slide backwards as other manufacturers go forward and implement new and dynamic technology. Mechanical reliability is one of Lexus' great qualities. Technology, not so much...
Old 04-23-17, 01:20 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
Long ago when I found out that Lexus was to charge their customers for using RS after one year, I decided to install an aftermarket RS system. I have a 2013 with an Audiovox system that also utilizes the Lexus Smartkey and works identical to the factory WITHOUT A YEARLY FEE. It has better range than the factory module which, according to member's posts on here, is poor.

Lexus should be ashamed of themselves for implementing such a fiasco. Who wants a cash payment when you live in the NE U.S.A. and the temp outside is 20F? Lexus screwed this up from the start. One system, two systems, three systems, what a mess. Very, very POOR!
Does this use your Lexus keyless fob? Where did you get it and how does it work?
Old 04-23-17, 02:59 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Does this use your Lexus keyless fob? Where did you get it and how does it work?
The Audiovox RS uses the factory Lexus smartkey and operates EXACTLY like the Lexus RS. I bought it at a local dealer that installed custom stereo systems, RS systems, spoilers, ground effects, etc. There are many other RS systems on the market that do the same. Many of the other members of this forum have installed Viper and other brands of RS systems that do the same and also utilize the Lexus smartkey. Cost about $275 - $300. installed. And no vehicle key to be secured inside the engine compartment either.