Adding DRCC? Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 07:33 PM
gbar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding DRCC? Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Greetings Club Lexus!

I was looking for a nice 2014 ES350 in good cosmetic condition, and finally found one and fell in love with it! The main feature I was looking for was the ventilated seats and I completely forgot to make sure it has one other important feature, THE DRCC SYSTEM! D'OH!
I have driven my girlfriend's 2017 corolla (which now comes standard with DRCC and pre-collision braking) and believe it or not, it prevented me from rear-ending someone (probably one of the most common accidents) and I figured I MUST HAVE THIS RADAR!
I know Lexus has had DRCC on LS models for a while (my father's 2010 LS460 has it), so I assumed that glossy front emblem was a radar, since the 2017 corolla now has it. I didn't realize it is ONLY a separate option, and is not included in the L/P packages!
I've read several posts about people trying to have it installed, however I didn't see any specific figures, or results.

I would LOVE to hear any previous experiences if anyone has any about adding this feature.
Also, it would be great to know exactly what is required for the system, I imagine my emblem is a dummy so that would have to be replaced with a radar version, perhaps my steering wheel would have to be replaced to include the additional interface, and finally some software update to include the dashboard display of the car and distance etc.
I imagine it wouldn't need any additional hardware in the brake line, considering there are already ABS, TCS, and braking assist features. Also I don't think it would require the camera on the rear-view mirror, since the 2010 LS460 seems to run DRCC fine without it.
I wonder if lexus would recycle such systems from cars which were reported as total loss from a rear-end accident.

ANY INFO HELPS! THANKS AHEAD OF TIME!
Old 04-16-17, 08:13 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

you'd be better off just waiting and finding one that came with it.... it would be horribly expensive to add after the fact.
Old 04-16-17, 08:32 PM
gbar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already got my car, which includes EVERYTHING except for this. I found it quite difficult to find one in good cosmetic condition, with <40K miles, and the nebula pearl gray that I wanted, let alone finding one with the DRCC+Pre-collision braking which wasn't included in any of the common packages.
Again, how much would be "horribly expensive"? I can only imagine that the radar sensor would just have to be plugged in to some expansion port on the car's existing systems, without the need for much else besides an additional button on the steering wheel.
Old 04-17-17, 05:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

It would probably cost you less to just trade it in on a 2017 with the options you desire. If I were you, I would just pay attention and enjoy your new ride!

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-17-17, 05:59 AM
FmrAccord
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gbar
I already got my car, which includes EVERYTHING except for this. I found it quite difficult to find one in good cosmetic condition, with <40K miles, and the nebula pearl gray that I wanted, let alone finding one with the DRCC+Pre-collision braking which wasn't included in any of the common packages.
Again, how much would be "horribly expensive"? I can only imagine that the radar sensor would just have to be plugged in to some expansion port on the car's existing systems, without the need for much else besides an additional button on the steering wheel.
You would be looking at thousands of dollars to buy the parts at full retail price. That is assuming you can figure out which parts you would need. It is far less hassle and costs to get a car with the option already in it.
Old 04-17-17, 11:50 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

From what I have read, the 2013 to 2015 and perhaps, the 2016 ES models have PCS and not APCS (A for advanced) The PCS in the older ES is said to "lessen the impact". The newer APCS is said to actually avoid the accident as demonstrated in some TV commercials. I know the LS has had this ability for a few years now. I have not tried to test it in either of my PCS equipped cars.
Old 04-17-17, 02:36 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 2014 ES/UL w/ PCS/DCC. Correct, it is not "APCS" as jollick mentions. The APCS is only available in the LS, if I'm not mistaken (more money, get a better system! =) The ES PCS/DCC radar is behind the grill, it is not the emblem (I know I was part of the PCS recall to have the radar replaced). I agree with others, however, I think it'd be cheaper to upgrade to a 2017. For my 2014, the PCS/DCC was a $1500 option. I've wanted such forever so I justified the cost. Now it's part of the $500 safety package...ugh! Time marches on, I guess. Keep in mind the difference of PCS vs DCC. While they are part of the same package, they perform two different functions. The DCC monitors your speed and slows down and speeds up, accordingly. If you approach a MOVING vehicle too quickly, the system will beep and such and slow down quickly to about 25 MPH and then BEEP again and you have to take over. It is NOT a collision-avoidance system like recent cars have--at least not the current ES version of DCC. Note that if you are approaching a STATIONARY object, the DCC doesn't slow you down. It is "Dynamic Cruise Control" and designed for such. The DCC system stops functioning below 25 MPH. Now, the PCS system is a PRE-Collision System. If an impact is imminent...(definition ???)...the PCS will prime the brakes so there is ZERO travel in the brake pedal. Now, this can occur if using DCC and a car pulls in front of you. The DCC will try to slow down quickly and the PCS realizes you're going too fast will prime the brakes. This adds say, 1/5th second of braking time (obviously depends on the collision distance) but better than nothing (because the brakes engage as soon as you put pressure on the pedal). In addition, the PCS will jolt the seat belts tight to ensure there is no slack. This happened to me once and I tell you it is a freaky thing. Suddenly the belt tightens and you're wondering who in the car is touching you or did what. No collision ensued, I don't recall the details, but it wasn't really a collision situation.

Hope that clarifies some things. I have enjoyed and use the DCC quite a bit. The PCS is really a passive system, however.
Old 04-17-17, 06:04 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I too wish that I had went ahead and paid for the extra safety items and the DCC. My 2016 doesn't have them and I wish that it did or that it was a reasonable add on option later. Sort of irks me that every Toyota but the Camry and every Lexus now has it as standard but that's my own fault for not doing enough research. While the safety stuff is very nice, the cruise control would have been awesome IMO. I use cruise control everywhere and it would have been so nice to have the car automatically slow down and speed back up when the path was clear. A Corolla now has this (and other safety features) as STANDARD....ugh.

Would have been nice if Lexus ran the harness to the camera and radar points and it was a plug in and program type of deal.

Maybe next time....as I keep my cars for quite a while....maybe I'll get the itch in a few years and get one with what I want (that I know of, lol).

I don't know anyone at the Georgetown plant well enough to ask.
Old 04-17-17, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Its important to remember...anything is possible. If you want to pick your house up and move it 3 feet to the left, its possible...the question is what would it cost.

My guess is $10k+. As someone else said, just trade for one with it already.
Old 04-18-17, 02:57 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
you'd be better off just waiting and finding one that came with it.... it would be horribly expensive to add after the fact.
In addition to the crazy cost, the dynamic cruise control on the current ES does not come to a complete stop (without hitting the other car).
Switching between the ES and the X5, I've caught myself expecting the cruise control on the ES to function in "semi-autopilot mode", but it instead it will beep and turn off as soon as you drop below 25 mph. The latest RX also has active cruise control with stop & go, so I expect them to have this in the next generation ES.

I suggest saving the cash and waiting for that instead.
Old 06-19-17, 05:13 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by amphiprion
In addition to the crazy cost, the dynamic cruise control on the current ES does not come to a complete stop (without hitting the other car).
Switching between the ES and the X5, I've caught myself expecting the cruise control on the ES to function in "semi-autopilot mode", but it instead it will beep and turn off as soon as you drop below 25 mph. The latest RX also has active cruise control with stop & go, so I expect them to have this in the next generation ES.

I suggest saving the cash and waiting for that instead.
just rode in my friend's new 2017 RX, and saw the active cruise with stop and go all the way down to zero MPH. It sure is nice. Has anyone seen anything officially about the ES getting this with a future model year?
Old 06-19-17, 10:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
just rode in my friend's new 2017 RX, and saw the active cruise with stop and go all the way down to zero MPH. It sure is nice. Has anyone seen anything officially about the ES getting this with a future model year?
Probably will be added for the redesign MY2019 or 2020.
Old 07-28-17, 03:09 PM
jaredsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What if you just wanted to add a pre-collision system? Is there any practical and not extremely cost prohibitive way to do that?