ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Phone nav question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-17, 04:15 PM
2017ES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phone nav question

We just got a 2017 ES 350 and so far very happy. It does not have nav. Is there a way to connect an android phone and display a nav app of some kind on the display. Probably just wishful thinking but have to ask.
Old 04-12-17, 04:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

No, you can't do that, but all 2017 ES are equipped with Scout GPS compatibility. I haven't really played around with it on my ES, but I believe that it allows connection from the smart phone app to the car's display screen via a Bluetooth connection. While I don't believe that it will show a map on your screen, turn-by-turn directions do appear on the screen, and you can communicate with the app via the car's mouse/controller or via voice commands. I believe that the turn-by-turn directions also come in spoken form through the car's speakers.

Here is a link to a press release.

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...-vehicles.html

And here is another link for Toyota vehicles, but the system should be the same for Lexus vehicles.

http://www.toyota.com/content/entune...t_GPS_Link.pdf
The following users liked this post:
2017ES350 (04-14-17)
Old 04-13-17, 06:22 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

From the below link:

Available in select 2017 ES, IS, NX, RC and RX vehicles with Display Audio. Easily use the Display Audio Controller to access Scout GPS Link and experience the safety and convenience of turn-by-turn directions in your car every time.

http://www.scoutgpslink.com/
The following users liked this post:
2017ES350 (04-14-17)
Old 04-19-17, 07:43 PM
2017ES350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Lesz and Jollick for the info about Scout Link. My car has the link and I installed the app in my android s5. It works great with a map and turn by turn directions displayed. Also provides voice direction through the car speakers. Easy to use the suggestions for food, gas, motels etc. Inputting address is way too slow but I do like having an integrated GPS system for far less than the factory nav.
Old 04-20-17, 05:16 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2017ES350
Thank you Lesz and Jollick for the info about Scout Link. My car has the link and I installed the app in my android s5. It works great with a map and turn by turn directions displayed. Also provides voice direction through the car speakers. Easy to use the suggestions for food, gas, motels etc. Inputting address is way too slow but I do like having an integrated GPS system for far less than the factory nav.
I'm glad to hear that the Scout GPS seems to work well. I wasn't sure whether it provided a map on the screen or just turn-by-turn directions. It is nice that it does provide a map.

I would be curious to know how much data the system uses. That is something that might be worth monitoring, especially if one's phone plan doesn't include a generous amount of data.
Old 04-20-17, 01:36 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I am wondering if we can do it with ES models which have the nav. The map database in my 2014 is getting out of date but last I checked Lexus charges around $200 to update. I think it is highway robbery and am thinking about workarounds.
Old 04-20-17, 01:45 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zes
I am wondering if we can do it with ES models which have the nav. The map database in my 2014 is getting out of date but last I checked Lexus charges around $200 to update. I think it is highway robbery and am thinking about workarounds.
The Scout GPS compatibility was a feature that was only added to the 2017 ES. I don't believe that the app will work with an ES of an earlier model year.
Old 02-22-20, 12:41 PM
chihlin2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up an used 2017 ES350 with Navigation. I am sure my phone is paired to my car via bluetooth, but somehow I was unable to connect Scout GPS Link (iOS) to my car.
Anyone know if my car supports Scout GPS Link?
Old 02-22-20, 01:42 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chihlin2
Just picked up an used 2017 ES350 with Navigation. I am sure my phone is paired to my car via bluetooth, but somehow I was unable to connect Scout GPS Link (iOS) to my car.
Anyone know if my car supports Scout GPS Link?
Starting with the 2017 model year, the ES had Scout GPS compatibility. However, the reports and reviews that I've read would indicate that operation is buggy and that it isn't worth even bothering with. Also, if your ES has navigation, I'm not sure why you would have any advantage of using the Scout GPS.
Old 02-22-20, 06:27 PM
chihlin2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Starting with the 2017 model year, the ES had Scout GPS compatibility. However, the reports and reviews that I've read would indicate that operation is buggy and that it isn't worth even bothering with. Also, if your ES has navigation, I'm not sure why you would have any advantage of using the Scout GPS.
I want to get it for fast address search, similar to google map. I get that it won’t be as good as google map, but thought to try it and see how it goes
Old 02-22-20, 07:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chihlin2
I want to get it for fast address search, similar to google map. I get that it won’t be as good as google map, but thought to try it and see how it goes
You might want to try using the Destination Search App in the (free) Enform App Suite. It works quite well with voice commands, and it uses a data base that is continuously updated. If you use a voice command to say the name of a place, it will give you the address and phone number, and it will ask you if you want directions to get there.
Old 02-22-20, 10:02 PM
chihlin2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
You might want to try using the Destination Search App in the (free) Enform App Suite. It works quite well with voice commands, and it uses a data base that is continuously updated. If you use a voice command to say the name of a place, it will give you the address and phone number, and it will ask you if you want directions to get there.
I tried it before and it actually works pretty
Old 02-23-20, 09:08 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, what is the difference between scout GPS and the enform app for navigation? We have a 2017 ES300H and just use the phone's Google maps since we did not hear great things about enform when we first got it. Plus for the full suite they charge you. I couldn't see anything about scout gps on the link above.

Last edited by afpj; 02-23-20 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-23-20, 10:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by afpj
Pardon my ignorance, what is the difference between scout GPS and the enform app for navigation? We have a 2017 ES300H and just use the phone's Google maps since we did not hear great things about enform when we first got it. Plus for the full suite they charge you. I couldn't see anything about scout gps on the link above.
First, you are confusing the Enform App Suite with Enform Remote Start, Safety Connect, etc. To use the Enform Remote Start, Safety Connect, and other features, an annual paid subscription is required. The Enform App Suite, on the other hand, is built into Generation 6 ES cars, and using it is completely free. One of the (free) Apps in the Enform App Suite is the Destination Search App.

The Destination Search app allows you to get information about a place. It will tell you the address and phone number, and it will allow you to enter the address as a destination into the navigation system (assuming that your car is equipped with navigation).

There are several advantages to using the Destination Search app over using the data that is in the car on the car's navigation system SD card. First, the data base used by the Destination Search app is constantly updated and will, therefore, be more up-to-date than the data base on the car's navigation system SD card. Also, the Destination Search app works significantly better with voice commands than is the case if you are using voice commands to access the SD card's data base. The Destination Search app accepts a larger number of voice commands. It uses more of a "natural language" approach, and it is more intuitive.

The Scout GPS is completely separate from the Lexus navigation system or the Enform apps. It was included in 2017 and 2018 Generation 6 ES cars. I'd consider it to be a poor substitute for the actual Lexus navigation system, and reviews of it and how well it works are less than glowing.
Old 02-23-20, 11:42 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I think that destination search has been discontinued in gen 7 cars...

Quick Reply: Phone nav question