Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Do you like ES300h rear suspension structure ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 01:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonchoi
But why Lexus choose this old way to the ES300h

Does it have any benefit to use this way?
It's basic and cheap.
The forthcoming Camry/Avalon/7ES has a "compact" multilink rear suspension, to keep the rear wheels more perpendicular to the road surface to maximize grip, yet take up little trunk space, and still keep the costs under control.

For a genuine double wishbone front [double so that the front wheels can steer], and a genuine multilink rear - go for a midsize GS, but then it is a more expensive car.
You get what you pay for.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-29-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 07:22 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

But with all due respect, where is the hard data that this more complex setup would perform better for a family sedan? I had a Mazda Melania which had this more complex rear suspension, and it was in good condition. Any significant sudden steering input (e.g. To avoid a cell phone toting driver drifting into my space) at 60mph was scary because it handled like a pig. My ESh seems to behave much more predictably In similar conditions. So I don't understand the benefit for an ES class car without the data. I have no doubt that this may help a Porsche or Ferrari zip faster around curves.

Last edited by zes; 04-29-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 07:25 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the suspension actually any different from the Es350's? Or is the the same setup on hybrid as ES350?
Also people talk about the battery weight effect, but apparently it's only about 120 pounds so not a huge amount of weight
Old 04-29-17, 07:35 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I think it is the same suspension. I think it is all about damping rates, springs, and unsprung to sprung weight. Tires are the most important. I think suspension design impacts the angle of the axle as the wheel moves but not sure how significant it is relative to other factors. ESh has slightly better front back weight distribution because of the battery in the back and smaller engine up front relative to ES.

Last edited by zes; 04-29-17 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 11:49 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zes
But with all due respect, where is the hard data that this more complex setup would perform better for a family sedan? I had a Mazda Melania which had this more complex rear suspension, and it was in good condition. Any significant sudden steering input (e.g. To avoid a cell phone toting driver drifting into my space) at 60mph was scary because it handled like a pig. My ESh seems to behave much more predictably In similar conditions. So I don't understand the benefit for an ES class car without the data. I have no doubt that this may help a Porsche or Ferrari zip faster around curves.
Back in 1993-94 etc, I did test drive the Mazda Millenia [Eunos/Amati 800] midsize luxury front drive with 2.3L V6 Miller Cycle Supercharged engine, and double wishbone front and multilink rear suspension.
It was a very good handling car, but the ride was firm due to both the springing/damping and the lower profile tires.
The Millenia was better handling than the MacPherson strut ES300 of that time.
The first gen ES300 [nee 2nd gen ES] had a very short wheelbase, some 4" shorter in fact for an even heavier front/rear weight distribution, and the ES300's coils were firm too to minimize weight transfer to the outside wheels, although the ES had softer and floatier shock absorbers.

I can't remember if those Millenia had active four wheel steering too?

However, I thought the ES300 looked much better, especially on the inside.
The ES was also more spacious, though the ES was no match for the spaciousness of the Camry at that time...
Old 04-30-17, 02:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
Is the suspension actually any different from the Es350's? Or is the the same setup on hybrid as ES350?
Also people talk about the battery weight effect, but apparently it's only about 120 pounds so not a huge amount of weight
Originally Posted by zes
I think it is the same suspension. I think it is all about damping rates, springs, and unsprung to sprung weight. Tires are the most important. I think suspension design impacts the angle of the axle as the wheel moves but not sure how significant it is relative to other factors. ESh has slightly better front back weight distribution because of the battery in the back and smaller engine up front relative to ES.
Yes, apparently the ESh is the same suspension design, but different spring and damper rates etc.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post8591820