ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Halogen to LED Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 04:27 AM
GeoNJ77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just completed the upgrade, didn't take long as the bulbs were easily accessible, and the connections straightforward. Looks good, and tested them out at night, clearly sharper than halogens. The color matches the DRLs, definitely happy with them. Mounted the ballast with 3M double sided (though I read in a post NOT to use double sided tape). All good.....maybe fog lamps next?? The picture shows the passenger light upgrade, and the driver's side halogen...
Attached Thumbnails Halogen to LED Upgrade-img_8409.jpg  
Old 04-02-17, 06:23 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Looks good. Did you end up getting the

I have had mine in for a several weeks now and really enjoy the improved light, not to mention the color difference. The light is obviously much brighter in close to the vehicle. Some people don't like LED lighting and I'm sure there are different versions. I specifically selected the 6000 Lumen set as most are only 4000 lumen and I didn't know if those would be bright enough. Unfortunately, the 6000 Lumen version has a cooling fan because they generate more heat, but I am very satisfied with ours, despite my concerns about the long-term reliability of the fans. I did have to tweak the aim up just a tiny bit, but my wife and I are both pleased with the result.
Old 05-14-17, 03:15 AM
GeoNJ77
Driver School Candidate

To revive this thread... Had the LEDs for a month and I love them. The issue I have though is that they don't seem to go out as far as the old halogens. How did you adjust the aim? I have read in other threads that there is an adjustment hole on the side next to the rubber seal, but it doesn't lead to an adjustment screw. The other is a small adjustment wheel behind the headlight. Turned a few times but no difference at all.
Old 05-14-17, 07:03 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GeoNJ77
To revive this thread... Had the LEDs for a month and I love them. The issue I have though is that they don't seem to go out as far as the old halogens. How did you adjust the aim? I have read in other threads that there is an adjustment hole on the side next to the rubber seal, but it doesn't lead to an adjustment screw. The other is a small adjustment wheel behind the headlight. Turned a few times but no difference at all.
If you reference my post # 21 earlier on this thread, I used the wheel to adjust the lights. The adjustment is very subtle, and I adjusted 15 clicks clockwise. I wanted to be careful not to get carried away and cause problems for oncoming traffic. I can say I have never been flashed and probably could have gone even further, but the adjustment helped enough to satisfy me. It definitely "seems" like the aim is lower with LED lighting. Oddly enough, the factory LEDs in our NX felt the same way and it helped to tweak them up as well. I have read numerous reports, including the one LESZ referred to on this thread that suggests LEDs don't have the same throw range as halogens. I have seen other reports/debates that suggest it is a perception based on the light temperature that they don't feel like they throw as far. Anyway, after adjusting them up a bit, my wife and I are very happy with them and would do the upgrade again if we got another vehicle with halogen reflector headlights.
Old 05-14-17, 07:23 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoNJ77
The adjustment wheel that you see is the one that moves the headlight up or down. Using a Philips screw driver you have to turn counter clockwise to move the headlight up. As Ward6096 mentioned it takes many turns with the screw drivers to see a difference in the aim. It helps if you mark the headlight cut off line on a wall and adjust the headlight while the low beam is on for you to see the movement of the cut off line. Don't worry about the other adjustment wheel that is supposed to be to the side of the headlight. this one moves the headlight right and left. It is hidden and I couldn't even find it.
Old 05-14-17, 09:03 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i have also done this upgrade
i used a more expensive kit ans it is has inbuilt fans and ballast
yumseen LED headlight conversion kit
also made a small video too ill be uploading once i have finished editing it
Old 05-15-17, 03:39 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
If you reference my post # 21 earlier on this thread, I used the wheel to adjust the lights. The adjustment is very subtle, and I adjusted 15 clicks clockwise. I wanted to be careful not to get carried away and cause problems for oncoming traffic. I can say I have never been flashed and probably could have gone even further, but the adjustment helped enough to satisfy me. It definitely "seems" like the aim is lower with LED lighting. Oddly enough, the factory LEDs in our NX felt the same way and it helped to tweak them up as well. I have read numerous reports, including the one LESZ referred to on this thread that suggests LEDs don't have the same throw range as halogens. I have seen other reports/debates that suggest it is a perception based on the light temperature that they don't feel like they throw as far. Anyway, after adjusting them up a bit, my wife and I are very happy with them and would do the upgrade again if we got another vehicle with halogen reflector headlights.
Id say since the LEDs dont appear to shine as far has to do with the housing, as it is not designed for LED or HIDs. My 2016 came with Bi LEDs and they work very well., but the housing is designed for them..Just a thought..
Old 05-15-17, 05:00 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Id say since the LEDs dont appear to shine as far has to do with the housing, as it is not designed for LED or HIDs. My 2016 came with Bi LEDs and they work very well., but the housing is designed for them..Just a thought..
A plausible explanation. These light kits are purportedly designed to work as a replacement for a halogen in a projector housing, but I still doubt they can match a properly designed factory lighting system using LEDs. So yes, in the ES this explanation might make sense, but we had the same issue with our 2016 NX which came with the factory triple beam LED lighting.
Old 05-15-17, 05:51 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

So yes, in the ES this explanation might make sense, but we had the same issue with our 2016 NX which came with the factory triple beam LED lighting.
Yes. Per my post on page 2 of this thread, in testing done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, LED headlights consistently performed worse compared to their halogen headlight counterparts when both options were available on the same vehicle. In each case, the halogen lights projected light over a greater range than did the LED headlights.
Old 05-15-17, 06:19 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Yes, I'm well aware of that study and appreciate the posting. However, I don't totally subscribe to their findings since it doesn't completely jibe with my own perceptions. I also wonder it they were testing with the lights at factory adjustments, which seem too low for me. Anyway, good counterpoint and hard to really argue the results since I don't have the means to conduct a proper test, but can only speak from "seat of the pants" observations.
Old 05-15-17, 07:31 PM
GES
Pole Position

I totally understand that the halogen housing is not ideal for LED or HID. But for those of us who have halogen's the upgrade is worth it. 10 years ago halogen was OK, but at this time a luxury car with halogen headlights is totally unacceptable IMHO. I upgraded to HID and never looked back. In my case I had to lower the aim of the low beam not raise it after the upgrade. I am very happy with the result. The car looks much better and they are very functional.
Old 05-15-17, 07:34 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

On a side note, my car came with stock HIDs and I found them aimed a bit too low. I had to adjust them to get more distance. Maybe Lexus don't get the stock LED lights aimed right from the factory either.
Old 05-15-17, 07:52 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GES
I totally understand that the halogen housing is not ideal for LED or HID. But for those of us who have halogen's the upgrade is worth it. 10 years ago halogen was OK, but at this time a luxury car with halogen headlights is totally unacceptable IMHO. I upgraded to HID and never looked back. In my case I had to lower the aim of the low beam not raise it after the upgrade. I am very happy with the result. The car looks much better and they are very functional.
I suspect HIDs are the best option, but I just didn't want to run a wire to the battery in the trunk of our ES-300h. This was simpler and actually Car-ID's recommendation. I have since learned that someone installed an HID upgrade that didn't require the extra wire to the battery so perhaps I needed to look harder. I'm very pleased with my upgrade though so no mod remorse here.
Old 05-15-17, 08:17 PM
GES
Pole Position

I suspect HIDs are the best option, but I just didn't want to run a wire to the battery in the trunk of our ES-300h. This was simpler and actually Car-ID's recommendation. I have since learned that someone installed an HID upgrade that didn't require the extra wire to the battery so perhaps I needed to look harder. I'm very pleased with my upgrade though so no mod remorse here.
When the 6th generation ES came out in 2012 there was no LED option. Even the ultra luxury came with HID. That is why I never considered the LED. but at this time I would try the LED upgrade if I had to do it again. The Led upgrade kits now are readily available and the prices have come down.
I also think that different people have different opinion and preference about how far in the distance the low beam should reach. What is good for one person might not be good enough for another.
Old 05-15-17, 08:54 PM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

I have read many thread about ES owners with factory fitted Halogen low beam headlight bulb and replacing them with aftermarket LED bulbs, but strangely I have yet to read about anyone buying the exact LED bulb used by Lexus in the 2017 model to replace their halogen bulbs. Can we buy these LED bulbs from Lexus? I am currently waiting for my Halogen bulbs on my 2014 ES to fail before I swap them with LED. Maybe I didn't search thoroughly enough but I could not find any info about the 2017 factory fitted LED bulbs, i.e. what brand or rating, etc.

Quick Reply: Halogen to LED Upgrade