Sharing some tips on interior noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 11:23 AM
Crex22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing some tips on interior noise

Hi Guys,
I liked to share some tips for fixing rattle coming from the interior.
I have a 2015 ES250. Recently I notice some rattle coming from both rear door when driving over some rough pavement.
I thought it was coming from the door panel as I recently tint my car. I tried remove the door panel and replace all the plastic clips but the noise is still there.
Last weekend I asked my brother to help me drive the car so I can locate the noise when sitting behind. Then I found out that the noise is actually coming from the somewhere between the door and the body, my guess it could be the rubber gasket.
Without any clue that it is going to help, I apply some trim detailer on the rubber gasket around the door. And finally,the noise is all gone! It is so quiet right now.
Its a easy fix and doesn't cost me much. Guys, if you notice rattle from the door, maybe you should try this first.

Old 04-10-17, 03:13 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I'm somewhat confused with your post regarding rattles and a fix using a trim detailing solution. The Meguiar's trim detailer is an appearance solution designed to highlight the black rubber and plastic areas of the vehicle to enhance it's appearance. It is not designed to eliminate rattles and is a topical solution only. My guess is that you did something else when removing and replacing your panels to eliminate the rattle. I can't see how this detailing solution would remove any rattles.

The molding and other parts where the trim detailer was applied look great.
Old 04-11-17, 05:58 AM
Crex22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@bc6152 Im pretty sure it is not something inside the door panel. The noise is cause by the door panel rubbing against the rubber gasket. I was afraid to apply grease to the rubber gasket as Im not sure what type of grease to use. So I just play it safe with the trim detailer. It may be not a long term solution but it is the only things I have with me. It was quite strange that such thing could cause a rattle.

Last edited by Crex22; 04-11-17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 03:11 PM
ALIGN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this rubber conditioner when I googled the squeaky weatherstrip on my 17year old Honda. So i bought on Amazon and apply in on my car. To my surprise this thing works! So I decided to use this on my Lexus. Again to my surprise, i thought my lexus was already quiet with just the exception of the squeaky sound that i thought coming from the driver seat belt. I was so suprise that the rattle or sqeaky whatever you want to call that annoying sound is gone!!!

you'll be amaze how quiet a car can be with a fresh weatherstrip. On rough roads all i can hear now is just the tires.

i definitely recommend this to everyone!

this is a rubber conditioner.

Old 04-13-17, 03:45 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ALIGN
I saw this rubber conditioner when I googled the squeaky weatherstrip on my 17year old Honda. So i bought on Amazon and apply in on my car. To my surprise this thing works! So I decided to use this on my Lexus. Again to my surprise, i thought my lexus was already quiet with just the exception of the squeaky sound that i thought coming from the driver seat belt. I was so suprise that the rattle or sqeaky whatever you want to call that annoying sound is gone!!!

you'll be amaze how quiet a car can be with a fresh weatherstrip. On rough roads all i can hear now is just the tires.

i definitely recommend this to everyone!

this is a rubber conditioner.

The noise will come back. Using detailing products on the rubber trims can cause the seals to dry up and you'd be in even more trouble.
I can vouch for Gummi Pfledge. A lot of dealerships use this as their "secret product" to eliminate creeks from door seals.
Old 04-13-17, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I can attest that this does indeed make a difference. Everybody should treat these seals regularly. I do it about once every 6 months.
Old 04-14-17, 03:30 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread -very helpful! I have a lot of rattling as well in my 2013 ES350 that is hard to pin down. I have friends with Audi A4s and S4s that are like drum-tight and have no rattles at all.

I think checking the joints and making sure the seals are conditions are important. My house as different sounds in the door frames and closings depending on the year/temperature, so I'm sure our cars do also.
Old 04-23-17, 06:42 AM
crichnikov
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have never thought of doing the door seals. I do have the grab handles that make little creak noises in certain conditions I will be adding foam soon.