ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

First tickets in 15 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think you you will find that average speeds slow down to meet conditions typically.
In many cases, I don't buy that arguement. If drivers actually slowed down to speeds (even average speeds) that were fit for the driving conditions, you would not have the mass-pileups that you get on slick/icy roads or in thick fog where visibility is almost nil. But almost every time weather makes for road hazards, it's the same thing, over and over.......people getting into trouble (and accidents) because they won't slow down.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-14-17, 04:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Traditional speed enforcement is not about revenue? Hahaha! So it's just a coincidence in the city of Harrisonburg the speed limit goes down to 60 on the same roadway and is heavily enforced by only the LOCAL cops? It's all about revenue Mike, don't be naive.

As for pileup, certainly things do happen but you don't have a pileup every time conditions deteriorate. Average speeds on the road absolutely do decrease in poor conditions.
Old 02-14-17, 04:29 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
the problem isn't the speed folks, the problem is DIFFERENCES in speed.

when traffic is flowing at the same basic rate and one knuckle head is going significantly faster or slower than that flow it increases the risk to everyone.

slower drivers create bottlenecks and faster drivers move in and out of traffic, tailgating, or having to brake abruptly, increasing the risk of someone not seeing them and causing a collision.

To the OP, contact the Ticket Clinic, https://www.ticketclinic.com/ I've had one ticket in the past 30 years, used these guys, while I had to pay them $199, the ticket was $570, they got it reduced to $99 and no points. So $300, saved me $300 plus insurance hikes.
Significantly slower correct........................But if the speed limit is 60..and i go 65.....and the other 4 lanes of people wanna go 80.. knock yourself out.... 65 is not significantly slower......
Old 02-14-17, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Significantly slower correct........................But if the speed limit is 60..and i go 65.....and the other 4 lanes of people wanna go 80.. knock yourself out.... 65 is not significantly slower......
65 is significantly slower than 80 yes. 15 MPH is a lot.
Old 02-14-17, 04:36 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

65 is significantly slower than 80 yes. 15 MPH is a lot.
Then you may pass anytime u wish..
Old 02-14-17, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then you may pass anytime u wish..
And people will, just understand that you are not "being safe" by driving 15 MPH below the flow of traffic on a busy highway, quite the opposite. Legally you aren't doing anything wrong, but simply "being legal" doesn't equal actually being safe is the point.
Old 02-14-17, 04:48 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

And people will, just understand that you are not "being safe" by driving 15 MPH below the flow of traffic on a busy highway, quite the opposite. Legally you aren't doing anything wrong, but simply "being legal" doesn't equal actually being safe is the point.
well I've driven for 55 years without an accident..So I'll continue what I'm doing..and you may do the same..
Old 02-15-17, 06:40 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

if the flow is 80 and you are in the middle lanes doing 65 you are a hazard and 34 states now have laws that will cite you for impeding traffic flow.

If you want to travel 15 under what the flow is then you should be in the right lane, not in any of the middle lanes, 15mph is significantly slower and does present a hazard because you are now forcing everyone to go around you and creating a bottleneck.

I'm a snail type driver, I don't like exceeding the speed limit on highways either, so I keep my butt in the right lane when I am driving like that. If I choose to keep with the flow then I will use the middle lanes, but if someone moving faster comes up on me, I simply move out of their way, I have no interest in playing grab *** on the highway with some knucklehead. It's easier to be the more mature driver and take the high road and get out of their way, then resort to being a road raging lane hogging a-hole.
Old 02-15-17, 06:03 PM
rhettnash
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, they would probably not cite you for going 5 mph under the speed limit but cite the others for going 15 over-in the above impeding traffic flow example- if done on a highway. Cannot cite you for not breaking the law.

once read that the auto-bahn has the least amount of accidents of any roads in Europe. But does have the highest death rate per accident ratio.
Old 02-15-17, 06:32 PM
Ssnva1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I notice you live in Virginia (I live here myself). Did that incident occur in the state? By state law, 80 MPH + (or any speed greater than 20 over the posted limit), is considered reckless driving. Also, the use of radar-detectors in the state is illegal, and police have the authority to impound them (they have electronic "detector-detectors" that can determine if you are using one).
He said because I was in the right lane or something that it was considered wreckless. I was getting ready to get off of the interstate. 😕

Anyway- I honestly didn't realize I was driving that fast. And that's the honest truth. My 05 Highlander would start to shake at 70, so I knew to slow down! The car rides so smooth I just don't notice how fast I'm going. I'm obviously paying more attention now.
Old 02-16-17, 08:55 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rhettnash
Actually, they would probably not cite you for going 5 mph under the speed limit but cite the others for going 15 over-in the above impeding traffic flow example- if done on a highway. Cannot cite you for not breaking the law.

once read that the auto-bahn has the least amount of accidents of any roads in Europe. But does have the highest death rate per accident ratio.
actually there are States with laws that will cite you for driving too slow even if everyone around you is driving over the speed limit. If you are impeding the flow of traffic you are breaking the law:

A typical impeding traffic law says:
No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or compliance with the law.
The elements of this violation are:
  1. You drove on a highway at a speed less than the "normal and reasonable" speed of traffic.
  2. Your reduced speed was not made necessary by safe operation or a grade, and
  3. You were not speeding.
Old 02-16-17, 07:33 PM
rhettnash
Driver School Candidate

Well, I guess it was like the protests at Berkeley, if everyone else is destroying and looting and catching Starbucks on fire, you too will not be punished.
If I got an actual ticket for going Five under a speed limit, in any flow of traffic, I would definitely be showing up to court to fight that one. Matters not what ever " interpretation " of that perticular law is. "Normal and reasonable" is subjective in use above, lawyer prob not even needed! Oh well, there are some really stupid laws out there!
I live near and drive a lot in Memphis, an they have the absolute, worse drivers ever. No one stays still enough cause they are scared they will be car jacked too!!!
Carry on and all be safe!!

Last edited by rhettnash; 02-16-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-17-17, 08:48 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rhettnash
Well, I guess it was like the protests at Berkeley, if everyone else is destroying and looting and catching Starbucks on fire, you too will not be punished.
If I got an actual ticket for going Five under a speed limit, in any flow of traffic, I would definitely be showing up to court to fight that one. Matters not what ever " interpretation " of that perticular law is. "Normal and reasonable" is subjective in use above, lawyer prob not even needed! Oh well, there are some really stupid laws out there!
I live near and drive a lot in Memphis, an they have the absolute, worse drivers ever. No one stays still enough cause they are scared they will be car jacked too!!!
Carry on and all be safe!!
I'm from Los Angeles and was in Nashville last summer and drove from Nashville to Albany, GA, and I will agree with you TN and GA drivers are the worst, I always though L.A. was bad until I visited TN and GA.

I especially like the sign on I24 around Chattanooga that tells you how many people have been killed on that road this year so far.
Old 02-17-17, 09:20 AM
rhettnash
Driver School Candidate

Ha!! Yea, those led signs are in Memphis, I love it the conversations it creates with my children, to. Birthday or fun function.
Old 02-17-17, 12:58 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone who says you're a hazard because you're doing the posted speed limit of 65, when everyone else is doing 80, has absolutely no clue what it means to drive a 30 ton vehicle. There will ALWAYS be slower traffic and if you are involved in an accident, and shown to be speeding, you can bet your *** you will be held fully liable regardless of the 'flow' of traffic. This is especially the case for CDL drivers. As a CDL driver I could care less about even the speed limit, I drive based on current road conditions UP TO the speed limit, all those who feel that presents a 'hazard' might want to get comfortable with that concept. There are laws that require flashers for anything 10 mph below the posted but beyond that you can haul *** by me at your own risk. I like to go home in one piece just like the next guy.

Quick Reply: First tickets in 15 years