ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transporting a lawn mower.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 01:31 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Transporting a lawn mower.

What are some tips on how to cleanly transport a lawn mower? I have to take it to a service center.

I'm thinking I should put old bed sheets on the back seat and on the ground of the back area?
Old 02-08-17, 01:35 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I think I would rent the Home Depot truck for an hour before I would put a lawnmower in my back seat. Or ask a neighbor. Or buy a new mower and have I delivered.

Dave Mac
Old 02-08-17, 01:53 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I think I would rent the Home Depot truck for an hour before I would put a lawnmower in my back seat. Or ask a neighbor. Or buy a new mower and have I delivered.

Dave Mac
+1
As someone who is especially particular about fits and finishes, I choose not to try to save a small amount of money by hauling things in the car in a way other than what was intended for the car, and I won't do so at the risk of doing damage to the interior or to the finish of the car that might cost hundreds of dollars to repair, if a satisfactory repair is even possible.

In addition to the options suggested above, I'd guess that there are people who have shops that do the lawn mower repairs and service and who offer pick up and deliver services. My choice would be to pay them $25-50 for pick up and delivery and not risk doing damage to the car.
Old 02-08-17, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah, rent a truck. No way in the world I would put a lawn mower in the back seat of my car. Rent a pickup for $19.95.
Old 02-08-17, 02:36 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you tried the trunk. If you fold the handle it may fit in the trunk.
Old 02-08-17, 02:41 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tow it behind?
Old 02-08-17, 03:08 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

It will fit in the trunk. I would not put in back seat.
Old 02-08-17, 04:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The problem with the trunk on the ES is that, because of the relatively short length of the trunk lid, there isn't a lot of space, with the trunk open, between the bottom of the trunk lid and the bottom opening of the trunk. Thus, getting taller items into the trunk can be difficult, even if they seem like they should fit.

Lawn mowers can vary quite a bit in terms of their size, but, even if it was a smaller mower, unless it fit very easily into the trunk, I wouldn't want to risk scratching the car's finish while I was trying to manipulate the mower to get it into the trunk. Taking the chance just wouldn't be, to me, worth the risk of doing damage to the car that could be expensive to repair.
Old 02-08-17, 07:35 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I have to agree with the other sentiments expressed here. Wrong vehicle for transporting bulky lawn equipment. You need to rent an appropriate vehicle or find another means of transporting the equipment. The risk is just too great.
Old 02-08-17, 08:46 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Mac

Dave Mac
The service center is only open on weekdays.

My work commute takes 70-80 minutes door to door, so I have to get to the service center at 8am, have them evaluate the lawn mower, then start on my commute in order for me to get to work on time.

I don't have time to rent a truck, take it to the service center, and drop the truck back at the rental place, then go to work.
Old 02-08-17, 08:53 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by lesz
+1
As someone who is especially particular about fits and finishes, I choose not to try to save a small amount of money by hauling things in the car in a way other than what was intended for the car, and I won't do so at the risk of doing damage to the interior or to the finish of the car that might cost hundreds of dollars to repair, if a satisfactory repair is even possible.

In addition to the options suggested above, I'd guess that there are people who have shops that do the lawn mower repairs and service and who offer pick up and deliver services. My choice would be to pay them $25-50 for pick up and delivery and not risk doing damage to the car.
I will call a few other places tomorrow and see if they'll pick up the lawn mower.

One of the places though has 4 dollar signs on Yelp.

Last edited by nuraman00; 02-08-17 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 08:55 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by GES
Have you tried the trunk. If you fold the handle it may fit in the trunk.
Originally Posted by Ratchey
It will fit in the trunk. I would not put in back seat.
If I can't find a place that will pick it up, I'll see if it fits in the trunk, instead of the backseat.
Old 02-08-17, 09:17 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by nuraman00
The service center is only open on weekdays.

My work commute takes 70-80 minutes door to door, so I have to get to the service center at 8am, have them evaluate the lawn mower, then start on my commute in order for me to get to work on time.

I don't have time to rent a truck, take it to the service center, and drop the truck back at the rental place, then go to work.
And even if I had enough time in the morning to rent and drop off a truck, I would not want to drive a truck during rush hours. I'd rather drive it during a calmer part of the day, traffic wise.
Old 02-08-17, 09:58 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've done it before in my former 00 ES. It was fine. But you would want to be very careful moving it in and out so you don't damage any trim (also a big problem in seat removal). The handle folded in half and was removable on the mower that I transported.
Old 02-08-17, 10:34 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah, rent a truck. No way in the world I would put a lawn mower in the back seat of my car. Rent a pickup for $19.95.
Are you sure you wouldn't put it in a es? Cause on the car chat forum the es is a low Lexus and not a true luxury car. And it's just a fancy Toyota so why not put a lawn mower in it? It's not like the owner bought a luxury car right?

Quick Reply: Transporting a lawn mower.