ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lowering my '14 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 05:14 PM
R1alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lowering my '14 ES 350

Well....after some bad information and some wasted time and $$, I decided to join the forum and Put this post up so that if anyone else out there that is also considering lowering their ES may benefit from my experience.
After purchasing my ES, immediately I was eager to add some personal touches to it to make it stand apart from the others. I live on the Midwest coast of FL and this car is literally everywhere!! But I love it!!!!
First thing that came to mind is lowering it. After months of research, I came back with nothing... No one makes lowering springs for our cars!! I found an old post on here saying someone had purchased a set of springs meant for a 07-11 Camry and claimed it fit perfectly. Getting excited, I started researching even more and came across another post confirming that application did fit. Now I was convinced. I ordered a set from H&R and scheduled the appointment with a tech from Lexus, a buddy of mine. After eyeing the springs (comparing size etc) and knowing the trouble I went through to get these, he proceeded with the project and took all the struts off. Come to find out, 3 out of 4 would've fit, but the front two are wound in apposite directions so the set could not be used. Bummed as hell, I asked him to put everything back and go back to the drawing board. After calling H&R, the Rep did confirm the set for the 12-14 Camry is similar and is in fact wound in opposite directions in the front as my ES calls for. I'm stuck with the first set, ordering a second one. This one for the 12-14 Camry. Wanted to create this post so that others may learn from my mistakes. I will continue with an update after they come in and if all goes well, I get them installed. In the next couple weeks I should be also getting my wheels in. I had a set Taylor made for my car. It's a 4 week process! I'm really excited to see what they look like with the car lowered.
Also posting a before pic of what my car looks like now before the mods.
thank you for reading my post.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering my '14 ES 350-img_2983.jpg  
Old 01-30-17, 05:53 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry it doesn't have quad tips.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (03-28-21)
Old 01-30-17, 06:08 PM
Nohnv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a bold move. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 01-31-17, 12:32 AM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude 13+ non sport edition Camry parts work for our cars. There's lots of old threads also stating 13 and newer springs are the correct spring as well as the coilovers will work.
Old 01-31-17, 07:15 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

looks like a prop car from The Fast and the Furious.

Old 01-31-17, 09:04 AM
R1alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrlexEd88
Dude 13+ non sport edition Camry parts work for our cars. There's lots of old threads also stating 13 and newer springs are the correct spring as well as the coilovers will work.
hell yea!!
just sucks I went through so much BS. Ordered a set of H&R this morning for 12-14. Are those 20's? And how low did you go with yours?
I got a 20" set of Stance SF03 in Bronze that should be here this week or next. With 1.3" F and 1.4"R
Old 01-31-17, 09:21 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

How does the car ride? Did you use the original shocks? It's great that the Camry springs fit, but how do you resolve the issue with the weight ? The Camry is a much lighter car than the ES.
Old 01-31-17, 09:42 AM
R1alex
Driver School Candidate

The rep at H&R said the set, dampening rate of the springs would just stiffen up over bumps and prevent from rubbing. Now that is ofcorse with a modest drop of less then 1.5, and since there is no official research behind this, no guarantees. I'm also curious and anxious to find out.
Old 01-31-17, 04:48 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R1alex
hell yea!!
just sucks I went through so much BS. Ordered a set of H&R this morning for 12-14. Are those 20's? And how low did you go with yours?
I got a 20" set of Stance SF03 in Bronze that should be here this week or next. With 1.3" F and 1.4"R
19s x8.5 and 9.5 I believe and the rear barley fits. I'm at the same height I was when on lowering springs. no scraping over speed bumps, occasionally the headers or mufflers smacks the pavements if it's really inclined entry.
Old 01-31-17, 05:09 PM
R1alex
Driver School Candidate

Oh dam... mine are 20x9 all around. Again, a whole 3 year old thread went on about how there is plenty of room, blah, blah blah. I just pray to god every thing works out. Haven't bought the tires yet, but about to. 245/35/20 all around. May need to get spacers if need be.
what size rubber are you running in the back?
Old 01-31-17, 06:40 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, I would go coilovers. I tried springs and didn't like them. But the big sale for me is that I can adjust my coilovers.

Lowering my '14 ES 350-20160625_174922.jpg
Old 01-31-17, 07:35 PM
R1alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
IMHO, I would go coilovers. I tried springs and didn't like them. But the big sale for me is that I can adjust my coilovers.

Attachment 403449
i have some friends who have coilovers and hear they squeak and make noises. Any similar experiences? I'd like to keep the ride as comfortable as possible. I understand compromises have to be made, but hoping for the best.

Car looks sweet though.
Old 02-01-17, 01:28 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The BC Racing are very popular among this particular platform. Won't destroy your wallet and a very good quality product
1-855-998-8726
Old 02-01-17, 06:40 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by R1alex
i have some friends who have coilovers and hear they squeak and make noises. Any similar experiences? I'd like to keep the ride as comfortable as possible. I understand compromises have to be made, but hoping for the best.

Car looks sweet though.
As the previous post has stated, BC Racing coilovers are good quality coilovers.

I'm not an expert on coilovers but I think some people don't set their coilovers properly. For example, if you don't set the pre-load correctly you're going to get squeaks and rattles. It took me a couple of tries before I got everything dialed in; you just have to have some patience. I've had mine for about a year now and don't plan on going back to stock. And yes, the ride is comfortable...I'm at about 22 clicks on the soft side.
Old 02-01-17, 08:28 PM
R1alex
Driver School Candidate

Good to know, thank you. I've already ordered the springs. Hope the wheels and ant tires clear. 245/35-20. If I have rubbing issues, and if spacers don't take care of it, this will be my next course of action. I've already made enough expensive mistakes. Hope they end with this H&R set up....

Quick Reply: Lowering my '14 ES 350