ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

American built ES 350

Old 02-05-18, 06:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
I could never buy a Lexus Built in the U.S i get ok if its partially assembled in the U.S but same as buying a Lexus Built in Canada i wouldn't do that either.
If im dishing out that kind of money im buying one that came from and was build in Japan.
I would suggest that such a strong opinion that is not based on actual experience with ES vehicles built in both the US and Japan is both uninformed and meaningless.

Earlier in this thread, I posted about my experience with the 2013 Japanese-built ES that I owned for 3 1/2 years and the US-built ES that I now own. I can briefly update that earlier post now that I've owned the 2017 ES for about 16 months.

The Japanese built 2013 ES was well-built, but it was far from perfect. The fits and finishes of its exterior body panels and interior trim pieces were okay, but they were not great. And there were a few annoying rattles/squeaks that I had to deal with. On the other hand, the fits and finishes, both exterior and interior, on the US-built 2017 ES are about as perfect as can be. The car also continues to be 100% free of squeaks, rattles, and other extraneous sounds, and it has been otherwise completely problem free. I can't guarantee that all Kentucky-built ESs are at the same quality level as mine, but, with my ES, they got it right.

As I said earlier, I previously had a strong preference for Japanese-built Lexus and Toyota vehicles over those built in the US, but my 2017 US-built ES has caused me to completely discard that preference for Japanese-built Lexus/Toyota vehicles.
Old 02-05-18, 07:00 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I owned a 2014 ES and now own a 2017, both similarly equipped. I was hesitent at first to trade the 2014 mostly due to its Japanese construction and I carefully scrutinzed the 2017 when offered an exceptional deal to purchase it. I must say that in my case and at this point in time the dfferences in both cars construction are both exceptional and imperceptable. I am just as pleased with the new one as I was the older one. I would not hesitate to consider a new ES based on point of origin alone.
Old 02-05-18, 07:39 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

American workers are every bit capable of matching and exceeding the quality standards of those in Japan. After all, it was an American that started Japanese industry on their way after WW2...
Old 02-05-18, 08:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I wouldn't have any hesitations about buying a U.S. built ES350. After a couple of model years the plant is no doubt running efficiently.

I recently have owned two BMW's (my first for the brand) which weren't built in Germany, and they've both been trouble free with no issues at all.
Old 02-05-18, 08:46 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
It's a good thing Toyota started producing the ES in Kentucky midway through the product life cycle. If they had started with a new model, any faults would have been attributed to US assembly, instead of it being a common thing on first-run cars. My 2014 Japanese-built ES has pretty good quality but it still has rattles above the grab handles. I'd think the 2016+ cars have had most of the quality and assembly issues ironed out no matter where they're built.
That is a good point. The lack of perfection in my 2013 Japanese-built ES, compared to my 2017 US-built ES, could well be at least partially the result of the 2013 ES being built in the first year of the Generation 6 ES run. One thing that I noticed when comparing the two cars was that there are a number of minor unadvertised changes/adjustments in the 2017 that make it a better car. And the same thing might well be true with quality control issues.

An example of that would be the squeak that you referred to that comes from the grab handles. I had that issue with the 2013 ES (and I was able to fix it by adding some foam padding around the hinges in the grab handles), but there isn't a hint of any sound that comes from those grab handles in the 2017 ES.

Thus, I might be more inclined to be concerned about buying a car near the beginning of its generation run than I would be concerned about whether the car was built in the US or Japan.
Old 02-05-18, 11:28 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Just happened to be in the library over the weekend and saw a CR magazine. Cracked it open and noticed that the Lexus ES was viewed as the most dependable and trouble free vehicle in the Lexus line up.

That's really saying something considering how good a product Lexus puts out overall.

They won't be sullying their reputation with the new ES's built in Kentucky.

That's more a GM or VW kind of thing to do!
Old 02-06-18, 02:03 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by XBROKER
I agree. Japanese culture is just so vastly different. I don't see anything remotely similar to Haji in american culture. Just to be on the safe side, I stick to J vin only. My 01 Camry was a J vin and I noticed subtle differences over the 17 years I owned it. One reason I grabbed an xB (and ES) while there were still low milled ones to be had was the J vin. I might take a trip to the factory if they build the ES in KY.. I don't think it's too far. Would be interesting to see. The new Camrys had a flock of J vins from the start this run. I was kind of surprised to see that.
I think views such as XBROKER's are entirely fair, and these view reflect the general consumer's attitude. It is just that reputation takes decades or at least many years to build. The American made cars in the 80's hurt the industry reputation, and the consumer will remember for a long time the scars they experienced. It is up to the American made factories to consistently put out high quality cars in the next several years to rebuild the lost reputation. For some of us, we took the chance, and seeing the better products, we are more comfortable with the new American made. For many others, they will need to see more data before they can be convinced. On the other hands, it takes a couple years or so for a good reputation to be tarnished
Old 02-06-18, 06:04 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

For what it's worth, I've either owned or driven cars like Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, BMWs and Mercedes assembled in China, Thailand, Malaysia and the Philippines. Once you move beyond bargain basement territory, cars assembled in partner factories throughout the world are very similar in terms of build and materials quality.

It's very rare for a top-tier carmaker to sign off on a factory's output if it doesn't meet global standards - for example, Chinese consumers don't get worse Hondas than American consumers. I had a Chinese-built TSX for a few years and it was a solid well-built car.
Old 02-06-18, 06:54 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
It's very rare for a top-tier carmaker to sign off on a factory's output if it doesn't meet global standards - for example, Chinese consumers don't get worse Hondas than American consumers. I had a Chinese-built TSX for a few years and it was a solid well-built car.
Yeah. I think this is what we are seeing with Lexus (cars manufactured in US & Canada). It kinda make sense to me because it is Lexus' reputation that is on the line. If the worker can't perform up to the standard, that worker won't be working on these plants.
Old 02-07-18, 07:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'm always a bit more hesitant with a brand less focused on quality or a completely new plant, but the Kentucky plant has been building Toyotas since 1988, so 30 years. The expansion of the plant to add the ES production doesn't worry me at all. There are some good articles about the requirements and training for those workers who moved to the ES line that should put one's mind at ease.

Not to mention the bulk of RX production coming out of Canada. Japan is not the only place that can build good cars.

I've owned Toyota products made in Japan and made in the US and have never seen a difference beyond the first digit of the VIN.
Old 02-08-18, 03:29 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I would like to put my two cents in on this. First and foremost, thank you for all the positive comments made on behalf of the Kentucky built ES350’s. Next, I am very proud of every ES I put my hands on to build each and every day, like all of the other team members that work along side of me. We’re not worried about the breaks or pay, we do worry about our quality and the final product. This is further proven by the fact of owning the JD Power Platinum Plant award in our first year of production. That is a first for any Toyota plant to date. We work hard so that when you do purchase one of our vehicles, you see the quality, craftsmanship, and pride that went into each one. Side by side comparisons have been made with our sister plants products, and I for one would not hesitate to take either. I own a ‘17 IS300, it has its issues, but I know that no matter, something’s happen regardless manufacturers. The next vehicle that I’ll be buying will be the lastest ES soon to be released. We pour many hours into training, processes, and continuous improvement. We strive daily to put the best products into our customers hands so that you will continue to refer and comeback for the next. One would think we’d want to be as good as our sister plant in Japan, and you would be wrong. We want to be better.
The following 4 users liked this post by KYLexusMkr:
bc6152 (02-08-18), chromedome (02-09-18), Fillykonk (02-10-18), jollick (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 04:44 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

KYLexusMkr, what did you all do with the grab handles on the Kentucky cars? Mine's a pre-facelift Japan car and the rattling is annoying in the cold. I've put foam on them but it's quite a hack on a nice car like the ES.

I wonder if there were major changes in the materials spec for the facelift cars. The Japan-built 2016+ cars all feel much more substantial with better panel fits than the earlier cars.
Old 02-09-18, 06:39 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

I sent a PM for your issue, as far as the second part, there were not any major changes. Most of the parts are carry over to the next model year on minor changes and the materials are generally the same as well. The only time I’ve seen a change in material on parts is if there is field issues for longevity or complaints with them. Panel fits and the tighter tolerances you refer to, I believe to be just a placebo effect that many have with any newer model compared to our own. I hope this helps.
Old 03-04-18, 03:44 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

this comment may seem out of place here as it is not about the ES or even Lexus but close
My parent have 2002 camry v6 1mz built in Kentucky and I have a 2002 highlander v6 1mz built in Japan
both cars purchased new with same oil same change interval same yota dealership
same driving style, no towing etc...
my highlander has a burnt valve at 202k miles and the camry is running strong at 240k
Old 03-05-18, 08:03 AM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
this comment may seem out of place here as it is not about the ES or even Lexus but close
My parent have 2002 camry v6 1mz built in Kentucky and I have a 2002 highlander v6 1mz built in Japan
both cars purchased new with same oil same change interval same yota dealership
same driving style, no towing etc...
my highlander has a burnt valve at 202k miles and the camry is running strong at 240k
Still too many variables to compare. SUV's are harder on engines because they are heavier, geared differently, less aero, etc. Could have picked a bad day at a fuel station and got some water in the gas.

The most likely answer ... on the day the valves were manufactured, the alloys on the Camry valves may have been randomly more pure than the day the Highlanders valves were manufactured. Or there could have been a one in a million variation in the heat treating process the day of production on the Highlander valves. 202k is pretty darn good, either way.

Rest assured, it has nothing to do with the assembly plant.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: American built ES 350