Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Why I Sold My ES300h and Trying Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 01:12 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Why I Sold My ES300h and Trying Mercedes

I've owned several Lexus models the past 15 years. ES300. RX330, ES350. LS460 and finally ES300h. I moved from suburban FL to urban San Diego and found
that my LS460 was too big for many parking situations in SD as well as mostly city driving gave me 8mpg. I found a nice 2014 ES300h and had it for 6 months.
Why I sold it: I was getting 28mpg. It's rated for 39/40 mpg hwy/city. Brought it to the dealer 3 times as well as a regional tech took a test drive with me. During the test drive, the tech acknowledged that I was very gentle on the throttle but because the diagnostics didn't show an issue, no one would admit there was a problem. I had made peace with the mpg situation(live with it) but then started doing a bit more freeway driving and really felt the hybrid was underpowered especially after just having had a V8 LS. Between those two situations, I decided to get something with adequate HP yet still sized right for the parking squeeze here. I looked at ES350 and GS350 but didn't feel they were enough of a change to suit me. I'm also very disappointed in how Lexus handled my mpg issue. So, I tested Audi, Hyundai Genesis and Mercedes. I found that the Mercedes E350 had plenty of power to suit me but was unimpressed with the seating comfort until I tried one with Active Multicontour Driver's seat. It's really comfortable to me. I found a CPO up in LA with the seating and all the safety electronics that makes a driver on the cusp of 60 years of age feel much safer. I've had the car for two weeks now and am so happy I made the change. I think besides the standard seats being uncomfortable, I was afraid of the reputation of Mercedes being less reliable than Lexus. I was able to get around that fear by doing my research, finding that in recent years, Mercedes has improved dramatically. The CPO has 2 years, 8 months of warranty and I bought another 2 years on top of that. It's refundable if I sell before I get into the additional 2 years with no penalty as well as transferable to a private buyer with no fees. So, I have choices at 2 years and 8 months of ownership. So, a bit sad to say goodbye(for now) but happy with the change. I really enjoyed the helpful folks here and will miss that as well. Best wishes for 2017 to all.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
911h20 (02-25-18), Vegasaurus (02-25-18)
Old 01-18-17, 01:44 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I've owned several Lexus models the past 15 years. ES300. RX330, ES350. LS460 and finally ES300h. I moved from suburban FL to urban San Diego and found
that my LS460 was too big for many parking situations in SD as well as mostly city driving gave me 8mpg. I found a nice 2014 ES300h and had it for 6 months.
Why I sold it: I was getting 28mpg. It's rated for 39/40 mpg hwy/city. Brought it to the dealer 3 times as well as a regional tech took a test drive with me. During the test drive, the tech acknowledged that I was very gentle on the throttle but because the diagnostics didn't show an issue, no one would admit there was a problem. I had made peace with the mpg situation(live with it) but then started doing a bit more freeway driving and really felt the hybrid was underpowered especially after just having had a V8 LS. Between those two situations, I decided to get something with adequate HP yet still sized right for the parking squeeze here. I looked at ES350 and GS350 but didn't feel they were enough of a change to suit me. I'm also very disappointed in how Lexus handled my mpg issue. So, I tested Audi, Hyundai Genesis and Mercedes. I found that the Mercedes E350 had plenty of power to suit me but was unimpressed with the seating comfort until I tried one with Active Multicontour Driver's seat. It's really comfortable to me. I found a CPO up in LA with the seating and all the safety electronics that makes a driver on the cusp of 60 years of age feel much safer. I've had the car for two weeks now and am so happy I made the change. I think besides the standard seats being uncomfortable, I was afraid of the reputation of Mercedes being less reliable than Lexus. I was able to get around that fear by doing my research, finding that in recent years, Mercedes has improved dramatically. The CPO has 2 years, 8 months of warranty and I bought another 2 years on top of that. It's refundable if I sell before I get into the additional 2 years with no penalty as well as transferable to a private buyer with no fees. So, I have choices at 2 years and 8 months of ownership. So, a bit sad to say goodbye(for now) but happy with the change. I really enjoyed the helpful folks here and will miss that as well. Best wishes for 2017 to all.
Congrats - enjoy your new ride!

Your experience reminds me of something I learned during a lengthy military career- a thousand attaboys can be quickly wiped out by one Aw ******.
The following users liked this post:
Vegasaurus (02-25-18)
Old 01-18-17, 01:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-18-17, 02:08 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I enjoyed reading your posts on the 460 board. I'd creep over there and do a LOT of reading & lurking when I was considering 'upgrading' from my 430 to a 460. I never was able to do it. All the talk about the control arms made me gunshy, lol. I've (we) have been shopping ES350's for my gf for the last several months, and I've been doing a lot of reading and posting here.

The MB E-class are absolutely beautiful cars, and the E350 you describe, sounds like it's a perfect equilibrium between the flagship 460 and a 4-cylinder hybrid ES.

I wish you well with your E350. Please try to check-in once in a while, as I would be interested to hear all your experiences with the E350 over the next year or 2. Finally, it would be interesting to know, if your E350 has remote start?...and even more importantly, if the vehicle shuts off when you open the door?! lol!

All the best to you.

PS.....isn't it tradition that you post pics of what your latest purchase is?! Can we have some farewell pictures!?
Old 01-18-17, 02:23 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
I was afraid of the reputation of Mercedes being less reliable than Lexus. I was able to get around that fear by doing my research, finding that in recent years, Mercedes has improved dramatically.
Congrats on the new ride, MB makes really nice driving cars that's for sure! I did a fair amount of research on Mercs before deciding to stick with Lexus. I had found the two manufacturers to be, literally, on opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to reliability, with only maybe Chrysler products being less reliable than Mercedes. Great to hear you're covered with a solid warranty. Maybe they'll go back on my list for my next car, can you share research sources for their recent dramatic turnaround?
Old 01-18-17, 03:23 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get back to us in a year.
The following users liked this post:
Vegasaurus (02-25-18)
Old 01-18-17, 04:12 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats. With respect to your mpg issue -- perhaps its not the car.

You said you got 8 mpg on the LS. On the ESh, you got 28 mpg. You said you always drive in the City.

Based on your history, I doubt that you will get the advertised mpg on your new Mercedes.
Old 01-18-17, 05:48 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

We have a 2013 ES300h and get 38 mpg combined. Can certainly understand your frustration at 28 mpg. Great that you have the extended warranty. You are right about Mercedes moving up on reliability. In the current J D power dependability study they are ranked 12th. The same study that has ranked Lexus #1 five years in a row. Dependability and cost of maintenance are two of the top concerns I have in purchasing a vehicle. Lexus is #2 behind Toyota in cost to maintain. Enjoy your new ride. There are many good choices out there now and you made a good one.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
Old 01-18-17, 06:03 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats and good luck with MB. My friend took his MB just out of factory warranty in for oil change. dealer called him saying there is an oil leak under the the car.
Some seal needs replacing, cost? 8 grand CAD. Hard to believe.
Old 01-18-17, 06:21 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Congrats on your new Mercedes! The previous generation had a great V6, instead of the current turbo-4.

The service/maintenance is definitely much more at Mercedes. We had a C300 in our family for a while...regular maintanence bills ranged closer to $400-500. After the warranty, many things began to break and parts were very expensive. Hope you have better luck.
Old 01-18-17, 06:45 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Mercedes makes beautiful cars but poor reliability and expensive maintenance and repairs are why i'd never buy one. Lexus has me spoiled. good luck.
Old 01-18-17, 07:14 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Congrats and good luck with MB. My friend took his MB just out of factory warranty in for oil change. dealer called him saying there is an oil leak under the the car.
Some seal needs replacing, cost? 8 grand CAD. Hard to believe.

Wow. What are they doing? Shipping it back to Germany for the repair?
Old 01-18-17, 07:20 PM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had looked at the Mercedes C300 but found that it came with run flat tires. I simply will not buy a car with these run flat tires. I asked the dealership if the car could be ordered with all season tires but they said no. Since it was between the Mercedes and the Lexus ES350 I went with the Lexus since it came with all season tires. I have heard too many horror stories from people with these run flat tires. Plus the other factor was that the Lexus is rated higher in reliability.
Old 01-18-17, 08:49 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I had 2015 Bimmer X5, when winter approacing in September I had winterizing service at dealership, RFT tires costs more and wear faster. They found out passenger seat heater as well as both seat heaters on 2nd row seats not working. Electronic controller fault which was covered by warranty. Wife been complaining seat is too hard.
After I pick up the car went to next door Lexus dealership traded it for '15 RX Hybrid CPO. I worried about starting the car in extreme cold. Past couple weeks we experience unusual cold arctic vortex with temp. down to -30C wind chill as low as -40C. Car started alright every morning passing cold test. Wife no more complains about her seat. Double garage with 3 car family. I am the lucky one parking the car in the backyard car port. I wish Lexus build something like Toyota Highlander.

Last edited by Htony; 01-20-17 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-18-17, 11:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Congrats on the new MB. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. They make great cars, and with your warranty set up you should be fine. Change is good.

Quick Reply: Why I Sold My ES300h and Trying Mercedes