ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

tapping/clicking sound from driver side b pillar

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 11:26 PM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry tapping/clicking sound from driver side b pillar

So I did some research and found out this is not rare at all among the lexus lineups. I've seen RX and GS have the exact same problem. It's kinda like the sound you make when you tap glass or metal surface with nail, right above my left ears, and it happens time to time. Sometimes on rough road conditions, sometimes on great road conditions, some times temps are low, sometimes temps are high. I can't either figure out a way such that it will happen certainly, or pinpoint its precise location, and as a result I failed to reproduce it each time I testdrove along with technicians from the dealership. Those genius tech guys won't take even a single screw off if they are unable to hear the noise. Now this sound is still haunting me every day but I'm tired of keeping bringing in my car and getting response like "nothing is abnormal" from the dealership. I tried corradoMR2's method for his RX, but looks like Lexus has redesigned the internal construction and it is quite different than what is on the pics he provided.

Anybody has any brilliant ideas on how to fix this obnoxious noise?

Last edited by Kerwin; 01-10-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 05:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Does the sound come from the grab handle area? A few members have reported noise from them and implemented some form of repair.
Old 01-10-17, 06:35 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Perhaps the sound is coming from the seat belt mechanism?

On my LS I have identical intermittent click sound. (The LS is so extremely quiet, your ears will hear anything other than wind noise or the air of the hvac)

Anyway, my sound comes from where the seat belt meets the B-pillar and is angled down to the floor. The slightest movement of my upper torso will move the seat belt as little as a couple millimeters. When the belt retracts or extends, I can hear a faint tick/click from that mechanism at the B-pillar. That would make sense because you mentioned you hear it in your left ear while driving.

Try driving without your seatbelt on and see if the noise disappears. (I know it's unsafe, but it will help determine if it's your seat belt or not.)
The following users liked this post:
Kerwin (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 06:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Does the sound come from the grab handle area? A few members have reported noise from them and implemented some form of repair.
Yes, the most likely source of that chatter would be the assist handles above the front doors. On my 2013 ES, I had that chatter. It came and disappeared, depending on the road surface and temperature. By stuffing small pieces of foam behind the caps covering the hinges on the handles, I was able to eliminate the chatter completely in just a couple of minutes.
The following users liked this post:
Kerwin (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 09:04 AM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Perhaps the sound is coming from the seat belt mechanism?

On my LS I have identical intermittent click sound. (The LS is so extremely quiet, your ears will hear anything other than wind noise or the air of the hvac)

Anyway, my sound comes from where the seat belt meets the B-pillar and is angled down to the floor. The slightest movement of my upper torso will move the seat belt as little as a couple millimeters. When the belt retracts or extends, I can hear a faint tick/click from that mechanism at the B-pillar. That would make sense because you mentioned you hear it in your left ear while driving.

Try driving without your seatbelt on and see if the noise disappears. (I know it's unsafe, but it will help determine if it's your seat belt or not.)
definitely will try this out later this day. Thanks for the tips man.
Old 01-10-17, 09:05 AM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, the most likely source of that chatter would be the assist handles above the front doors. On my 2013 ES, I had that chatter. It came and disappeared, depending on the road surface and temperature. By stuffing small pieces of foam behind the caps covering the hinges on the handles, I was able to eliminate the chatter completely in just a couple of minutes.
Thanks for the advice. Will try it out today. Hopefully it is able to get the job done in my car.
Old 01-10-17, 09:09 AM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
That is the problem! I can't pinpoint where it comes from. It looks to me that it is from the seat belt height adjustor area.
Old 01-10-17, 09:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerwin
That is the problem! I can't pinpoint where it comes from. It looks to me that it is from the seat belt height adjustor area.
What can make it very difficult to identify the source of a rattle or chatter in a car is that the acoustics of the relatively small cabin are such that sounds can reverberate off of surfaces far from their original source, and that can make it seem like the sound is coming from places far from the actual source.

While I'd guess that the sound you are hearing is coming from the assist handle, it should be easy either to confirm that or to eliminate it as a possible source. When you are driving and start to hear the sound, just reach up and grab the assist handle and hold it firmly so that the hinge can't move at all. If that stops the sound, you've found the source. If it doesn't, it isn't the source. Because those assist handles are very close to your ear, any sound coming from them is likely to be heard.

If it turns out that the assist handle is not source, let us know, and I can suggest a couple of other places that are common sources of rattles and that you can also check out.
Old 01-10-17, 09:59 AM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

What can make it very difficult to identify the source of a rattle or chatter in a car is that the acoustics of the relatively small cabin are such that sounds can reverberate off of surfaces far from their original source, and that can make it seem like the sound is coming from places far from the actual source.

While I'd guess that the sound you are hearing is coming from the assist handle, it should be easy either to confirm that or to eliminate it as a possible source. When you are driving and start to hear the sound, just reach up and grab the assist handle and hold it firmly so that the hinge can't move at all. If that stops the sound, you've found the source. If it doesn't, it isn't the source. Because those assist handles are very close to your ear, any sound coming from them is likely to be heard.

If it turns out that the assist handle is not source, let us know, and I can suggest a couple of other places that are common sources of rattles and that you can also check out.
Thanks lesz. Will give it a go today.
Old 01-10-17, 10:32 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

While I'd guess that the sound you are hearing is coming from the assist handle, it should be easy either to confirm that or to eliminate it as a possible source. When you are driving and start to hear the sound, just reach up and grab the assist handle and hold it firmly so that the hinge can't move at all.
Do that ^^^^ while your seat belt is off.
Old 01-10-17, 10:55 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I get a knocking from that area when I do not have a passenger in the car -- though this may not be related to your complaint.
For me, its caused by the seat-belt buckle (plastic area) coming into contact with the B-pillar. Any slight jolt in the roadway causes the buckle to swing laterally causing it to run into the plastic B-panel, creating a knock. When this happens, I usually just reach over and adjust the buckle so it is not hung at rest at an angle that strikes the pillar. Its kind of annoying.
Old 01-10-17, 12:03 PM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

Hey lesz. Just came back frome a testdrive. I tried driving with my hand holding the grab handle tight all the time, and it's still there. So I guess we can cross out the assist handle. Then I took the entire B pillar panel off and did a testdrive, the clicking sound clearly came from inside the pillar, inside that metal part shown in my attachment. Guess I will have to pay dealership another visit.
Old 01-10-17, 02:32 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Kerwin

Hey lesz. Just came back frome a testdrive. I tried driving with my hand holding the grab handle tight all the time, and it's still there. So I guess we can cross out the assist handle. Then I took the entire B pillar panel off and did a testdrive, the clicking sound clearly came from inside the pillar, inside that metal part shown in my attachment. Guess I will have to pay dealership another visit.
I guess you opted to take that apart instead of driving with your seatbelt off? I thought that would be super EZ, but oh well.

Another thought----wouldn't it stink if they asked you if you've taken the assembly/cover off/apart, and you were honest and said, "yes", and they say they'll have to charge you now to fix your concern, because you've 'tampered' with the original design? After viewing the thread about the dealer who said water in the headlights/tail lamps is NORMAL, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Oh well. Keep us informed what the dealer says about your concern!
Old 01-10-17, 03:17 PM
Kerwin
Driver School Candidate

oh I did it with my seat belt off actually, and no difference was made, the noise was still there. I confirmed with dealership, and they told me as long as I can put things back together on my own, they will not charge me and the warranty will stay intact.
Old 01-10-17, 03:35 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a good thread. I have an increasingly annoying rattle in my 4 month old ES300h coming from somewhere near the pillar/seat belt area on the passenger side. Usually I'm driving without a passenger but next time I am, I am going to ask the passenger to check into some of these things. Will update as well if I solve it.

Quick Reply: tapping/clicking sound from driver side b pillar