Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

Weathertech liner won't fit 2017 es300h

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 05:41 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Weathertech liner won't fit 2017 es300h

hi all. I've seen a few threads on weather tech liners but no one else seems to have this problem. We have a 2017 es300h. Got weather tech 444761 front floor liners. They fit the footwell, but the locking tabs won't turn in the grommet holes in the weather techs. Comparing the Lexus standard floor mats that came with the car, the grommets on the weathetechs won't go down far enough to allow the locking tabs to turn. The only " mcgiver " solution that I can see is to dremel down the lip of the weathertech grommet so it sits more flush and then allow the locking tab to rotate. Has anyone else with a 17 es300h get a weathertech liner and have it fit? Thanks for any info. I'm waiting for the seller for a response but I'm sure it won't be until next week.
Old 12-24-16, 11:15 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
hi all. I've seen a few threads on weather tech liners but no one else seems to have this problem. We have a 2017 es300h. Got weather tech 444761 front floor liners. They fit the footwell, but the locking tabs won't turn in the grommet holes in the weather techs. Comparing the Lexus standard floor mats that came with the car, the grommets on the weathetechs won't go down far enough to allow the locking tabs to turn. The only " mcgiver " solution that I can see is to dremel down the lip of the weathertech grommet so it sits more flush and then allow the locking tab to rotate. Has anyone else with a 17 es300h get a weathertech liner and have it fit? Thanks for any info. I'm waiting for the seller for a response but I'm sure it won't be until next week.
Have you tried a pair of pliers to turn it? I have the same problem with my Lexus liners. In my situation it is caused by my fat fingers not being able to grip the tab to turn it without pressing it just far enough down to prevent it from turning. With pliers I am able to easily press down on the liner while turning the tab.
Old 12-25-16, 09:44 AM
afpj
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that already and buggered up the twist tab (cosmetic injury only ). The collar on the button of the weather tech grommet is too thick...it won't allow the weather tech to sit low enough on the Lexus tab so that it can be turned. I think weather tech put in the wrong grommet or Lexus changed something.

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah !
Old 12-25-16, 11:32 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by afpj
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try that already and buggered up the twist tab (cosmetic injury only ). The collar on the button of the weather tech grommet is too thick...it won't allow the weather tech to sit low enough on the Lexus tab so that it can be turned. I think weather tech put in the wrong grommet or Lexus changed something.

Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah !
You should let WeatherTech know, http://www.weathertech.com/service/ perhaps they will modify and send a replacement as that seems to be a safety hazard.
Old 12-25-16, 01:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
You should let WeatherTech know, http://www.weathertech.com/service/ perhaps they will modify and send a replacement as that seems to be a safety hazard.
I agree.

There are a good number of people who post here and who have the WeatherTech liners, and I don't recall seeing any mention of a problem with locking them down on the ES. I haven't had the liners, but I have had a couple of sets of their all-weather mats, and there haven't been any issues with fastening them. So, I would suggest contacting WeatherTech and letting them either send out a replacement set or offer some other solution.
Old 12-26-16, 07:23 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weathertech mats

I have original equipment summer and winter mats in my 2015 ES350 but prior to this car I had a Dodge Charger with Weathertech floor liner mats and had a similar problem...the "lock down" tabs would not work until I "shaved" the holds in the mats a bit to give the lock down tabs a little more room to move around and work. I did not have to shave much but you may have to do the same thing. Note...the original equipment Lexus winter mats have been flawless and I have zero problems with them and they are pretty much the same as the Weathertech mats.
Old 12-27-16, 12:56 PM
afpj
Instructor

Yeah looking through my Dremel tip collection while waiting for response from weather tech. The CSR I spoke with reportedly asked around and no one's heard of this issue for this vehicle. I'm getting too old for being the tip of the spear again.