ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Looking to purchase 77k Miles 2013 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 12:33 PM
RYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase 77k Miles 2013 ES350

Hi all, looking to buy a 2013 ES with 77k miles. Has heated seats, sunshade, but no nav. Dealer is asking for $18k. Service record looks complete until about 60k. It is a one owner. Honest feedback on pricing , model (since first year model sometimes can be troublesome) and things to watch out for given the miles would be much appreciated.
Old 12-22-16, 12:43 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this car being sold by a Lexus dealer, or an independent lot?
Old 12-22-16, 12:45 PM
RYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus dealer. but it is not a cpo
Old 12-22-16, 02:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If the car is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, the price is probably in the ballpark, possibly a little high. If it is in average condition, the price is probably at least a couple of thousand dollars high. If it is a car that I was really interested in, I'd push for a significantly lower price and be prepared to walk if the dealer isn't willing to budge.

It is a high mileage vehicle for a 2013. With 77,000 miles, it is completely out of both the Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty and even the power train warranty. Without a navigation system and other desirable options, it is a car that could sit on the dealer's lot for quite a while before an interested buyer comes along. Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that the dealer is even putting it on its lot. But it is also likely that the dealer, after a short while, while be prepared to wholesale the car. The wholesale value of that car is only on the $12,000-13,000 range, depending on its condition. So, the dealer should be happy, as an alternative to wholesaling the car, to sell it for a price somewhere between its wholesale value and dealer retail value, which would put it somewhere in the range of $15,000 and $16,000.

If it was me, I'd consider whether I could stretch my budget. For a few thousand more than the $18,000 that the dealer is asking for this car, you can find better equipped 2013 ES vehicles with much lower mileage and with still some of the bumper-to-bumper and more of the power train warranty left. And some of the extra money that you spend would actually come back to you when you sell/trade the car because a lower mileage ES with options like a navigation system will always be more desirable and worth more.

If I couldn't stretch the budget, I'd be inclined to defer buying a Lexus for a while, and, instead, I'd be looking to find a used Camry or other similar car. For the same $18,000 in a Camry, you are going to be able to buy a better equipped car with lower mileage and with some factory warranty left.
The following users liked this post:
RYZ (12-22-16)
Old 12-22-16, 02:45 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If the car is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, the price is probably in the ballpark, possibly a little high. If it is in average condition, the price is probably at least a couple of thousand dollars high. If it is a car that I was really interested in, I'd push for a significantly lower price and be prepared to walk if the dealer isn't willing to budge.

It is a high mileage vehicle for a 2013. With 77,000 miles, it is completely out of both the Lexus bumper-to-bumper warranty and even the power train warranty. Without a navigation system and other desirable options, it is a car that could sit on the dealer's lot for quite a while before an interested buyer comes along. Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that the dealer is even putting it on its lot. But it is also likely that the dealer, after a short while, while be prepared to wholesale the car. The wholesale value of that car is only on the $12,000-13,000 range, depending on its condition. So, the dealer should be happy, as an alternative to wholesaling the car, to sell it for a price somewhere between its wholesale value and dealer retail value, which would put it somewhere in the range of $15,000 and $16,000.

If it was me, I'd consider whether I could stretch my budget. For a few thousand more than the $18,000 that the dealer is asking for this car, you can find better equipped 2013 ES vehicles with much lower mileage and with still some of the bumper-to-bumper and more of the power train warranty left. And some of the extra money that you spend would actually come back to you when you sell/trade the car because a lower mileage ES with options like a navigation system will always be more desirable and worth more.

If I couldn't stretch the budget, I'd be inclined to defer buying a Lexus for a while, and, instead, I'd be looking to find a used Camry or other similar car. For the same $18,000 in a Camry, you are going to be able to buy a better equipped car with lower mileage and with some factory warranty left.
This strikes me as very sound advice.
Old 12-22-16, 06:45 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have no idea where you guys find your prices. KBB shows $18K on that to be on the low end with the range being from $18.6K - $22.7K in MA and $20.5K the average, so if the car is in good condition sounds like a decent price. NADA would be even higher.
Here in Vegas, the low end is $19K up to $23K.
(based on a mid level package)
Old 12-22-16, 07:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
I have no idea where you guys find your prices. KBB shows $18K on that to be on the low end with the range being from $18.6K - $22.7K in MA and $20.5K the average, so if the car is in good condition sounds like a decent price. NADA would be even higher.
Here in Vegas, the low end is $19K up to $23K.
(based on a mid level package)
I just ran the numbers with KBB and got virtually the same numbers that you did, but, if you check with Edmunds, the retail number is going to come out to be roughly $18,000 for excellent condition and a bit lower for average condition. I suspect that the KBB $20,500 average may reflect dealer asking prices but that the selling prices are somewhat lower and in the range of the Edmunds price.

I'm also making my guess as to what the car is worth because, in recent weeks, there have been a couple of posts in which people have reported buying 2013 or 2014 ES cars with much lower mileage (in the 35,000-40,000 range) and better equipped (Luxury package, navigation, etc.), and they have reported paying around $24,000 for cars with a CPO warranty. The mileage, lack of navigation and other options, and lack of CPO warranty or even any remaining Lexus factory warranty would significantly bring down the value of the car that the OP is looking at.

Further, there is someone who has posted here and who is a used car manager at a Lexus dealership. In similar threads, he has confirmed that he would rather not have a minimally equipped car, especially one without navigation, on his lot, and he has said that he will often end up taking cars like that directly to auction because the demand for such cars is minimal and they would be likely to sit for an extended period of time on his lot. Based on that, I would suspect that the dealership where the OP found this car would likely be very flexible on pricing to get the car off of their lot.

Last edited by lesz; 12-22-16 at 07:47 PM.