ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dead Battery TSB (2013 and 2014)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 04:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Hey guys, I'm a little confused by the TSB on the intermittent battery discharge issue.. first of all, if Lexus has sent out a TSB shouldn't the local dealerships address it without question? That being said I have a 2013 es and I have approx. 4 months left on my 50K mile 48 month warranty.. However I still have the oem battery in the car and have never experienced an issue with the battery... so I guess my question is would this TSB apply to my car since I've never had an issue.. I will tell you I was a bit confused by how you could tell if your car is effected by using the VIN... If one of you doesn't mind can you tell me how using the VIN will tell me if my car is included. I appreciate your help fella's... thank you in advance.

Poppa
I'll first say that even if your vin is included in the possibly affected range, you don't seem to have the issue. I've never heard you complain of a dead battery. Secondly, dealers are reluctant to even acknowledge a TSB exists. I had to point it out to my service adviser. And, judging by the service you've been getting, I would more than assume you would be in the same boat, if you had the issue.

So, TSB's are written when a widespread (non safety) issue is discovered and a solution is found. A list of possible vin's is included. If a customer complains of said issue, the dealer is supposed to reference the TSB and the work is covered under the initial warranty. Some dealers are better than others and will go out of their way to search for a TSB. Unfortunately, those dealers are few and far between.
Old 09-22-17, 09:11 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'll first say that even if your vin is included in the possibly affected range, you don't seem to have the issue. I've never heard you complain of a dead battery. Secondly, dealers are reluctant to even acknowledge a TSB exists. I had to point it out to my service adviser. And, judging by the service you've been getting, I would more than assume you would be in the same boat, if you had the issue.

So, TSB's are written when a widespread (non safety) issue is discovered and a solution is found. A list of possible vin's is included. If a customer complains of said issue, the dealer is supposed to reference the TSB and the work is covered under the initial warranty. Some dealers are better than others and will go out of their way to search for a TSB. Unfortunately, those dealers are few and far between.

You're correct, but I would like to see some Consumer laws that a manufacturer or dealer has to inform an owner about TSBs while under warranty, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I had a friend with a similar issue on his Acura, constantly had dead batteries and only found out afterwards there was a TSB on a battery drain from the NAV system.

My fear is this "drain" issue rears its head when I'm outside of the factory warranty.
Old 09-23-17, 02:13 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

I'll first say that even if your vin is included in the possibly affected range, you don't seem to have the issue. I've never heard you complain of a dead battery. .
[QUOTE=BradTank]My fear is this "drain" issue rears its head when I'm outside of the factory warranty.[QUOTE]

First, thanks guys for the replys... you're right I have not experienced any battery issues since i bought the car new in Jan. of 2014, but not having experienced any issues doesn't mean I won't in the future.. I realize that the odds of that happening are slim, however as BradTank pointed out, it would be a real pain if this issue were to surface after my car is out of warranty in 3 1/2 months,

Poppa
Old 09-23-17, 05:46 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=Poppa;9989172][QUOTE=BradTank]My fear is this "drain" issue rears its head when I'm outside of the factory warranty.

First, thanks guys for the replys... you're right I have not experienced any battery issues since i bought the car new in Jan. of 2014, but not having experienced any issues doesn't mean I won't in the future.. I realize that the odds of that happening are slim, however as BradTank pointed out, it would be a real pain if this issue were to surface after my car is out of warranty in 3 1/2 months,

Poppa
With my battery failing at 3 1/4 years I am perhaps one of the lucky ones without this problem. But since I am accustomed to batteries lasting for much longer, the next time I bring in the car to the dealer while still on warranty, I will bring up the TSB, ask them to reimburse me for the replacement battery and ask for the diagnostic. Even it they do nothing, or do the diagnostic which shows nothing, I then now have it on record should the problem arise when the warranty period has passed.
Old 09-23-17, 05:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poppa
... however as BradTank pointed out, it would be a real pain if this issue were to surface after my car is out of warranty in 3 1/2 months,
Poppa
If you're that worried about it, have your dealer load test your battery. You could make up a story that your car didn't start one day after sitting for a few days. That way, they would have a record of you complaining about it.
Old 09-23-17, 06:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sderman
With my battery failing at 3 1/4 years I am perhaps one of the lucky ones without this problem. But since I am accustomed to batteries lasting for much longer, the next time I bring in the car to the dealer while still on warranty, I will bring up the TSB, ask them to reimburse me for the replacement battery and ask for the diagnostic. Even it they do nothing, or do the diagnostic which shows nothing, I then now have it on record should the problem arise when the warranty period has passed.
How many miles on your ES? Did it ever sit more than a week without driving and start ok, prior to the battery failing? If you drive it every day, you will not see the issue.
Old 10-12-17, 02:33 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Default My turn for dead battery

Well, it's been just over three years and 47K miles for my 2014 ES 350/UL. In short, I had a dead battery and requested the Gateway Computer be replaced...they did, along with the battery, and I'm happy.

My experience, FWIW:
I saw all these posts and when I took my car in for 35K some time ago I told them about the TSB and wanted the computer replaced. They didn't even acknowledge the TSB existed. I was bummed but understand they won't replace things not in recall, if not a safety issue, and not currently a problem. After three years I thought I was a lucky one. Well, last Friday I went to south Texas to see my folks where it is unusually hot, 95F. My car sat for a few days while I visited. Monday night I got in to go get gas and had a dead battery. I recalled the TSB and figured, "great...." Got my cables out (y'all have jumper cables in your car, right???) and had my Dad jump the ES. No problem, and I went to get gas. The next morning we loaded the car and...dead battery. Had my Dad jump the ES again. On the way home Tuesday, I phoned Lexus and said I'm coming in with a dead battery car and I have a TSB to show you. (Actually, I drove home quickly and unloaded the car, then headed to Lexus.) At home I printed the TSB and at Lexus showed it to the service advisor. I told him, "You can replace the battery and I'll be happy, but I want it on record that I am a candidate for the TSB and if it goes out after the warranty period, 1000 miles away, I don't want to pay for it." I highlighted all the important items on the Well, it's been just over three years and 47K miles for my 2014 ES 350/UL. In short, I had a dead battery and requested the Gateway Computer be replaced...they did, along with the battery, and I'm happy.

My experience, FWIW:
I saw all these posts and when I took my car in for 35K some time ago I told them about the TSB and wanted the computer replaced. They didn't even acknowledge the TSB existed. I was bummed but understand they won't replace things not in recall, if not a safety issue, and not currently a problem. After three years I thought I was a lucky one. Well, last Friday I went to south Texas to see my folks where it is unusually hot, 95F. My car sat for a few days while I visited. Monday night I got in to go get gas and had a dead battery. I recalled the TSB and figured, "great...." Got my cables out (y'all have jumper cables in your car, right???) and had my Dad jump the ES. No problem, and I went to get gas. The next morning we loaded the car and...dead battery. Had my Dad jump the ES again. On the way home Tuesday, I phoned Lexus and said I'm coming in with a dead battery car and I have a TSB to show you. (Actually, I drove home quickly and unloaded the car, then headed to Lexus.) At home I printed the TSB and at Lexus showed it to the service advisor. I told him, "You can replace the battery and I'll be happy, but I want it on record that I am a candidate for the TSB and if it goes out after the warranty period, 1000 miles away, I don't want to pay for it." I highlighted all the important items on the TSB so there'd be no confusion. Well, they answered my call and replaced the battery and Gateway Computer just like the TSB says. It was funny 'cause the repair paperwork said, "Could not start the car." Duh! I dropped it off and the next morning the tech had to jump the car. Ha!

In the end, things went well, and only took two days and I had a loaner, so I don't care how long it takes (within reason, obviously.) The moral of my story is you should print out the TSB if you need to and take it in with you. However, for the 2013 and 2014 models, I'm sure those 48K warranties are coming due real quick.
Old 10-12-17, 03:14 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kijug
Well, it's been just over three years and 47K miles for my 2014 ES 350/UL. In short, I had a dead battery and requested the Gateway Computer be replaced...they did, along with the battery, and I'm happy.
I'm glad they took care of it for you, like me. I'm just a little surprised it took a couple days to fix. Mine was done in a couple hours.
Old 10-13-17, 06:57 AM
msyost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my ES earlier this year (2013, 15K miles) still under warranty but the warranty has since expired this past August. Anyway, a few months ago I took a trip for 2 weeks and when I returned, my car wouldn't start. I assumed that perhaps the DRLs or something didn't automatically turn off, but I didn't give it much thought after that. I did contact my local dealer and notify them, but they were unhelpful. So fast forward to this past weekend, my car wouldn't start without a jump, and now it requires a jump for every start. AutoZone confirmed that I have a dead battery.

As I was about to go have the battery replaced at Toyota (no Lexus dealer in my town), I decided to hop on the forum and do a little research on battery recommendations. It's here that I found out about the TSB and the issue, under which my VIN is included. I've called Lexus customer service and opened a claim, but since my car is 2 months out of warranty, is there any hope they will work with me on this (still has less than 20K miles)?

I am assuming it would be unwise to replace the battery now and then have the same drain on it before I fix the issue, but it's very inconvenient needing a jump start every time. I have a car battery charger at home that I've been leaving it on overnight, which seemed to give me just enough juice to start this morning, but I doubt it's sustainable. Has anyone attempted to accomplish this fix on their own, or paid Lexus to do it? I found the part for ~$350 but I'm not sure what the repair entails.
Old 10-13-17, 07:28 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

msyost, I would try the dealer 1st and see if they will give you a one time courtesy fix.
Old 10-13-17, 10:46 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I would definitely contact the dealer and ask for replacement of the defective part. The most they can say is NO... Give it a shot...
Old 10-13-17, 12:00 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by msyost
I purchased my ES earlier this year (2013, 15K miles) still under warranty but the warranty has since expired this past August. Anyway, a few months ago I took a trip for 2 weeks and when I returned, my car wouldn't start. I assumed that perhaps the DRLs or something didn't automatically turn off, but I didn't give it much thought after that. I did contact my local dealer and notify them, but they were unhelpful. So fast forward to this past weekend, my car wouldn't start without a jump, and now it requires a jump for every start. AutoZone confirmed that I have a dead battery.

As I was about to go have the battery replaced at Toyota (no Lexus dealer in my town), I decided to hop on the forum and do a little research on battery recommendations. It's here that I found out about the TSB and the issue, under which my VIN is included. I've called Lexus customer service and opened a claim, but since my car is 2 months out of warranty, is there any hope they will work with me on this (still has less than 20K miles)?

I am assuming it would be unwise to replace the battery now and then have the same drain on it before I fix the issue, but it's very inconvenient needing a jump start every time. I have a car battery charger at home that I've been leaving it on overnight, which seemed to give me just enough juice to start this morning, but I doubt it's sustainable. Has anyone attempted to accomplish this fix on their own, or paid Lexus to do it? I found the part for ~$350 but I'm not sure what the repair entails.

So maybe I missed this detail, but is the battery original?
If the battery is original, even with the low miles it doesn't surprise me if it's dead even if the drain issue is not on your car. I'm on battery #3 and it's a 2014.

My advice is replace your battery regardless, it will kill your alternator driving it that way.
Old 10-13-17, 01:53 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
If the battery is original, even with the low miles it doesn't surprise me if it's dead even if the drain issue is not on your car. I'm on battery #3 and it's a 2014.
That is not normal. I'll bet you have the issue outlined in the bulletin. Are you still in factory warranty?
Old 10-13-17, 02:14 PM
BradTank
Racer

That is not normal. I'll bet you have the issue outlined in the bulletin. Are you still in factory warranty?

In ultra hot AZ, it's pretty normal. Every vehicle I've owned, I get around 2-3 years per battery, almost like clockwork. It doesn't seem to matter the brand.

So if the vehicle was delivered in the fall of 2013, It got a new dealer battery in 2015, and then a new dealer battery in 2017. So battery #3.

Is it a little concerning? yes, and I emailed my service advisor and brought it to their attention and they said if you had the problem and were effected, you would know it and that the ones they did fix were basically going out right after a new battery was installed . I have documentation of it, so if it is a problem down the road, I will raise hell and have attempt a courtesy fix but at this point, it seems to be fine and I have had it sit for several days with no issues.

But regardless, if someone is on the original battery from 2013 and it's going dead, I think it's perfectly normal to think it simply needs a new battery.
Old 10-13-17, 04:02 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
In ultra hot AZ, it's pretty normal. Every vehicle I've owned, I get around 2-3 years per battery, almost like clockwork. It doesn't seem to matter the brand.
I have family in Mesa and Tempe. That is not normal battery life. If you're ok with it, though...

Also, most dealers seem to challenge customers that bring up a TSB. I remembered that from a past experience, which is why I gave them every chance to bring it up themselves. They did not, so I had to pull it out. If I would have believed their story that new cars can't sit parked for more than a couple days, I would still have the issue.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery TSB (2013 and 2014)