ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Enform remote start disappoints

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 02:07 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lexus Enform remote start disappoints

My wife and I both have new Lexus ES300h NX300h and Remote start run with the enform app is so slow to operate and work and what's worse is the key fobob trick to make the car start is hit and miss, For as much money has these cars cost the remote start should work good and fast . Hear me Lexus please make this better
and it only runs 10 min
if I open the trunk it cuts off
if I have the key with me it cuts of when you open the door
all of this disappoints me
can you fix any of it with a update on my cars
Lexus?

2016 ES300h
2015 NX300h

Philip

Last edited by pgiinc; 12-10-16 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-10-16, 06:57 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I completely agree with the key FOB issue. Well, frankly I cannot disagree with the slow speed of the phone app either, although that doesn't bother me as much as the FOB. I think the ten minute limit is probably a reasonable safety but yes, the fact that you can't open the door and grab a snow brush out of the car to clean it off while the car continues to warm up is definitely a pain. If you have the key on you, why not let the door unlock without shutting the engine off? The alternative is sitting down with the key and restarting the car, then grabbing the brush to clean the car off. Kind of negates the benefit of a remote start since the designers tried so hard to neuter it.
Old 12-10-16, 09:53 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed, shutting off as I get in was an unpleasant surprise. Other remote start vehicle I owned did not do that. Lock twice and hold is not my favorite method either but I guess since it's not standard they couldn't really do a dedicated button. I'm glad my car has the option but as seamless as it isn't I doubt I will use it much, I imagine colder climate folks just learn to deal and use it anyway...

Last edited by 400to300H; 12-10-16 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 05:20 AM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not providing a way to avoid the car shutting off when entering it with the fob after remote starting it is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in any car, anywhere.

It is also extremely bad for the car in terms of wear and tear on the engine.
Old 12-11-16, 07:04 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry ES350 remote start

I fully agree that given the fact that a very, very large percentage of cars sold today come with remote start as standard a luxury car that carries the prestige and price tag of a Lexus ES350 should come with remote start as STANDARD equipment and NOT as part of a package that you need to re-up for each year at the owners expense. The other comments related to the Lexus remote start are valid but I have elected to do without the remote start on my 2015 ES350 as I am now retired and really wouldn't use it much...but that aside, I paid nearly $40K for my car and feel strongly a PERMANENT remote start feature should have been included in the base price.
Old 12-11-16, 09:19 AM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eolafan
I fully agree that given the fact that a very, very large percentage of cars sold today come with remote start as standard a luxury car that carries the prestige and price tag of a Lexus ES350 should come with remote start as STANDARD equipment and NOT as part of a package that you need to re-up for each year at the owners expense. The other comments related to the Lexus remote start are valid but I have elected to do without the remote start on my 2015 ES350 as I am now retired and really wouldn't use it much...but that aside, I paid nearly $40K for my car and feel strongly a PERMANENT remote start feature should have been included in the base price.
I believe starting with the 2016 models, you can still use remote start using the key fob even after the enform subscription has expired. Using the feature via the app requires Lexus to maintain a cellular connection to the car which they must do with one of the major cell networks - which is an ongoing expense for them (albeit I am sure much less than what they charge end-users). Therefore, it is not wholly unreasonable for them to continue charging for the feature when used via the app.

All this is sort of moot though because Lexus' implementation of the remote start feature (be it via the app or fob) is completely moronic and as such I would not recommend making any sort of frequent use of it anyway due to the additional wear on the engine and starting components resulting from the need to start the vehicle twice when using the feature.

Last edited by CarToys; 12-11-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 10:44 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

And the enform app is so NOT USER FRIENDLY you have to enter code to get in the app then enter code again to start car and then you have to wait for up to minute or more for either success or failure and they want use to pay for this?
My car was 52k retail come on Lexus please do better

Don't make me by A Tesla

Fact The Lexus should a have remote that works from the key FOB and is a easy process,
How many of you can start you car with the key fob first time every time?
you have to press it 3 times 2 short then hold the 3rd time for up to 10 sec
HAHAHAHA its a trick you have to learn

And if you want to charge us for Enform then ok at least make it work within reason
1. The runtime should be adjustable
2. The car should not cut off when you open the door or trunk if you have the key on your person
3. The app should be Touch ID
4. The remote should be much more simple to use
5. How about a running light on or something to let you see you car is on from eyesight
6. Also How about Being able to cut on heated seat and wheel from the app
All this and the fact I don't have a digital mph on the dash somewhere in the center pod
my next car will be a new model 2018 or 19 ES300h or LSxxxh or Tesla

2016 ES300h
2015 NX300h

Philip

Last edited by pgiinc; 12-12-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 12:32 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This first cold blast and I am a little more than irritated that my wife's 2012 GMC has dedicated remote start that: keeps running when you open the door, AND (very important feature) turns the heat on high and the seat heaters as well! My 16 ES remote start is so unpredictable that I don't even use it because it just makes me more cranky than being cold
The following users liked this post:
tnpats5 (08-24-17)
Old 12-11-16, 06:45 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by modad
This first cold blast and I am a little more than irritated that my wife's 2012 GMC has dedicated remote start that: keeps running when you open the door, AND (very important feature) turns the heat on high and the seat heaters as well! My 16 ES remote start is so unpredictable that I don't even use it because it just makes me more cranky than being cold
Exactly how I feel. I am not using it because its so hard to work
ES300h
NX300h
Philip
Old 12-11-16, 08:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Completely agree with you pgiinc. I had forgotten how often it pops up and asks for the login again (and again), let alone how often it keeps nagging for the PIN. You are right, it should accept the fingerprint. I understand why car manufacturers might require time to upgrade the tech in their cars but good grief, why can't they fix the app or hire an app developer that can.
Old 12-12-16, 04:51 AM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Let's face it, generally speaking Toyota is a very conservative company. As an example, it is now pretty much the only major car company who has decided not to implement CarPlay and Android Auto and insist they never will. I am sure eventually competitive market forces will force them to, but in the meantime they'll manage to **** off a lot of their customers.
Old 12-21-16, 02:11 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How can you use the remote start from the fob? I only know how through Enform Remote, and I agree with all of the negative comments about the remote start.
Old 12-21-16, 02:38 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jonmanch
How can you use the remote start from the fob? I only know how through Enform Remote, and I agree with all of the negative comments about the remote start.

If you have a 2015 or 2016 Lexus you might be able to do it from the key remote if you have enform activated. My salesmen said it would but he couldn't even make it start. I had to figure it out myself but it is hit and miss. you press the key remote 3 times on the 3rd time continue to hold it and count to 10 it might might work but don't count on it, you see the lights blink about 8 times then 8 more times !WTF
for some reason the designers of these cars Lexus do not like remote starts or think its something you should continue to pay for every year for the rest of you ownership for remote start that only works half the time
you can stop what your doing spend 2 minutes to log into you app on your smart phone and wait to see if it the start command goes works or you can get you key remote out and try 10 times to press it 3 times correctly for it to start and if it does it will cut of as soon as you open the door or 10 minutes what ever comes first

I think Lexus should fix this now and not later
The key remote should start the car in no more than 2 times pressing on the key remote and it should have the running lights on letting you know it is running and not cut off when you open the door, and it should run at least 15 min to heat or cool the car enough
and the smart phone app should be touch id to work. and actually start the car all the time and be easier to work
And to think Lexus what you to pay yearly for this Crap
I thought it was so cool at first when I got mine and my wife's New Lexus but now it just makes me really Madd that they think I am going pay for another year or this sub standard remote start

2016 ES300H
2015NX300H

Philip
The following users liked this post:
JackM (12-23-16)
Old 12-22-16, 08:18 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2008 ES350 full load and also peed off about the engine stopping after you open the door. It does not have enform....probably wasn`t available back then.. can`t remember. I had a Viper 4704 installed many years ago and the remote start works every time summer or winter. numerous settings...open or closed windows and roof...heat or a/c on or off. I don`t use it very much as the car is a garage queen. The viper remote shows if the car started and the amount of time left before it shuts off. You program the length of time you want the car to run before it shuts off. BUT the damn thing still shuts off when you open the door. The range on it is quite good but that depends on how much steel structure there is between you and your vehicle. Viper has come out with some newer models since then. I haven`t checked to see if the newer Viper models can bypass Enforme and the automatic door shut off. It might be worth checking out from a certified Viper dealer and installer because a module has to be installed as well to communicate with the Lexus module.

Last edited by Tetguy; 12-22-16 at 10:16 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-23-16, 05:41 PM
JackM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2016 ES If I hold down the key fob lock button on the third try it does start the car......Thank goodness because that enform was a real slow pain in the rear. Thanks for the tip !!

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform remote start disappoints