ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Enform remote start disappoints

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 04:54 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by CarToys
On the 2016 and later ES you can also remote start the car using the key fob without any additional equipment installation.
You still need to subscribe for it to work, though.
Old 09-08-17, 05:13 AM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=CarToys;9976806]Well, just to play devil's advocate here... the enform subscription does give you more functions than just remote start.

That said, on the other hand...

The cell subscription (which requires very little data traffic) can't be costing Toyota more than say $5 a month per vehicle (and probably less given the volume of cars they sell) and as such I am sure they're making a killing off of selling enform subscriptions to people.

On the 2016 and later ES you can also remote start the car using the key fob without any additional equipment installation. That said, the way remote start works on all Lexus vehicles is so stupid that I personally wouldn't use it anyway.[/QUOTE
Lexus will disable that function on a 2016 ES when you subscription expires and this is what I am furious about. I feel that had no right to do that to my Car that is paid for, I own it and that had no right to disable the remote start function with my key fob which does not require any effort or signals from them to operate.
Philip
Old 09-24-17, 04:00 PM
rriccardi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. I was shocked when I remote started my 2017 with the fob and touching the handle cut the engine. If I didn't have the fob I can see that happening, but to restart the car?
Pother than that i truly LOVE this car!!!!
Old 01-06-18, 10:22 AM
Smack3
Driver School Candidate

Default first and last lexus

Originally Posted by Eolafan
I fully agree that given the fact that a very, very large percentage of cars sold today come with remote start as standard a luxury car that carries the prestige and price tag of a Lexus ES350 should come with remote start as STANDARD equipment and NOT as part of a package that you need to re-up for each year at the owners expense. The other comments related to the Lexus remote start are valid but I have elected to do without the remote start on my 2015 ES350 as I am now retired and really wouldn't use it much...but that aside, I paid nearly $40K for my car and feel strongly a PERMANENT remote start feature should have been included in the base price.
i bought my first lexus last Christmas ES350. it was. ice to have the remote start. it it just stopped working after the initial year subscription ran out. i figured the app was the only thing that would stop but the fob remote start stopped working too. i was upset when the lexus dealer told me it is a paid service. this is the first and last lexus i will ever own.
Old 01-06-18, 10:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Smack3
i bought my first lexus last Christmas ES350. it was. ice to have the remote start. it it just stopped working after the initial year subscription ran out. i figured the app was the only thing that would stop but the fob remote start stopped working too. i was upset when the lexus dealer told me it is a paid service. this is the first and last lexus i will ever own.
This is why research is so important. But then again, I wouldn't base my brand perception on a single aspect that didn't meet my expectations. Not to mention, the FOB based remote start is horrible. I have it, but it's only good for less than 100'. I see no need in starting my car as I'm walking up to it.
Old 01-07-18, 11:45 AM
rriccardi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Smack3
I just purchased a 2017 ES350 and i was told by the dealer that the FOB should always work, even without the subscription. While i was at the dealer picking up the car, i was handed a brochure of "Extras" for the car, and one was remote start at over $1,000!!. I mentioned it to the dealer, and he said, your model has it standard, but only the app has the subscription. the price was for the older models and i forget which year he said. He told me you will always have the remote start with the FOB, just the app will stop working if you don't pay for the yearly subscription service. What year is your ES? the fob should work either way, as the hardware to control it is already in the car, since the app and FOB worked before your subscription ran out.
Old 01-07-18, 11:56 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by rriccardi
I just purchased a 2017 ES350 and i was told by the dealer that the FOB should always work, even without the subscription. While i was at the dealer picking up the car, i was handed a brochure of "Extras" for the car, and one was remote start at over $1,000!!. I mentioned it to the dealer, and he said, your model has it standard, but only the app has the subscription. the price was for the older models and i forget which year he said. He told me you will always have the remote start with the FOB, just the app will stop working if you don't pay for the yearly subscription service. What year is your ES? the fob should work either way, as the hardware to control it is already in the car, since the app and FOB worked before your subscription ran out.
Sadly, the dealer either knowingly ied to you or was mistaken. Since Lexus started to make remote start standard on all of its models a few years ago, it has been the case that, without a paid subscription, you will not be able to use either the phone app or the fob to start the car, and, when your car is one year old, if you don't pay for the subscription, you won't be able to start the car with either the phone app or with the fob.

There are threads from unhappy owners about this on most/all of the Club Lexus model forums.

Last edited by lesz; 01-07-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 12:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
Sadly, the dealer either knowingly ied to you or was mistaken.
^^ Lesz speaks(types) the truth!
Old 01-07-18, 01:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Sadly, the dealer either knowingly ied to you or was mistaken. Since Lexus started to make remote start standard on all of its models a few years ago, it has been the case that, without a paid subscription, you will not be able to use either the phone app or the fob to start the car, and, when your car is one year old, if you don't pay for the subscription, you won't be able to start the car with either the phone app or with the fob.

There are threads from unhappy owners about this on most/all of the Club Lexus model forums.
What a mess! Lexus RS has been screwed up since the start of Gen 6... Maybe before...I wonder if Lexus is listening to all of these complaints. HELLO! HELLO! Do it like Nissan does... It's FREE (and stays free)... And don't shut off when the door is opened...
Old 01-08-18, 05:38 AM
Halfmoon
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote start for my 2013 ES350

https://www.12volt.solutions/pages/p...lexus~md_es350

I installed 12 Volt Solutions plug n play kit which uses your OEM key fob. Press lock three times and it starts, but will shut off when you open the door too. What ever range you have using your key fob now is the same range the remote start will have. There is no subscription fee using the key fob after purchase. $290

This weekend I installed their Add-On smart phone module $200. This gives you unlimited range and the app works on two phones for one car. It worked well all weekend starting the car and using the GPS locater, but the lock/unlock door didn't work. I can see the lights flash, but doors don't lock. I'll be calling to check on this.

Not endorsing this kit, but it was easy to install without having to cut any wires. Use RECART10 for a small discount.

Another thread on this kit
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...t-install.html

This is the cost for the add-on smart phone app

Old 01-08-18, 09:29 AM
benzmac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pgiinc
And the enform app is so NOT USER FRIENDLY you have to enter code to get in the app then enter code again to start car and then you have to wait for up to minute or more for either success or failure and they want use to pay for this?
My car was 52k retail come on Lexus please do better

Don't make me by A Tesla

Fact The Lexus should a have remote that works from the key FOB and is a easy process,
How many of you can start you car with the key fob first time every time?
you have to press it 3 times 2 short then hold the 3rd time for up to 10 sec
HAHAHAHA its a trick you have to learn

And if you want to charge us for Enform then ok at least make it work within reason
1. The runtime should be adjustable
2. The car should not cut off when you open the door or trunk if you have the key on your person
3. The app should be Touch ID
4. The remote should be much more simple to use
5. How about a running light on or something to let you see you car is on from eyesight
6. Also How about Being able to cut on heated seat and wheel from the app
All this and the fact I don't have a digital mph on the dash somewhere in the center pod
my next car will be a new model 2018 or 19 ES300h or LSxxxh or Tesla

2016 ES300h
2015 NX300h

Philip
You mention having to press it 3 times.What do you press on the Fob? Thanks
Old 01-08-18, 10:00 AM
benzmac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can i remotely start my 2217 es-350 using the fob. What buttons should i press?
Old 02-02-18, 06:34 AM
Greg2012
Driver School Candidate

I am in 100% agreement with this. the Enform app is just as horrible as the Enform website, and the Lexus GPS...slow...ineffective...and incompetent. today I finally had enough and called Lexus to complain about it. let me list the problems with Lexus (caveman) "technology":

Enform app: first, I have 250Mb internet service. it's blazing fast. I open the app and I get a message that it's been awhile since I logged in so I need to re-enter the username and password (which I then need to find) and no, you cannot just use the Touch ID, you need to enter a username and password. once you do that, then the Touch ID will work. After logging in, press remote start. then wait 5 min for it to connect to the car only to discover the doors are unlocked. then get an error and press lock doors. then wait 5 min while it connects to the car to lock the doors. then press start, and wait 5 min while it connects again. during all of this time I could get my coat on, walk a half mile, start my car, and walk back in less time. it's totally stupid and worthless. the only benefit of the enform subscription is the key FOB remote start, which should not require a subscription since it is not internet based. this is just a rip off to the customer.

Enform website: we have 2 lexus cars on the account, and the enform website wont allow you to switch between cars to manage the services. Yes, both cars are there in the drop down, but it doesn't respond when you select a car in the drop down. the is a flat out error in programming. I tried 2 different browsers, safari and Firefox and both didnt work.

lexus GPS: in my most recent purchase I opted out of the GPS. Google maps on my phone is miles better than the clunky lexus gps.
Old 02-02-18, 07:13 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

This thread is just a small microcosm of complaints from Lexus car owners. As Les stated, there are numerous complaints on other forums about other models which are set up comparable to the ES for the remote start accessory. This issue has been ongoing almost since the start of the generation 6 ES back in 2012. I'm surprised and disappointed that Lexus corporate has decided to ignore this issue and continue with the present setup for RS. As previously stated, numerous times, other manufacturers have provided FREE RS capability in their cars without a yearly charge. Honda (Acura) and Nissan (Infiniti) to name two. There will always be a charge for internet access vs. just using a key fob.
The alternative is an aftermarket RS accessory that, once installed, remains free to operate and generally has better range than the Lexus product.
Old 02-02-18, 07:22 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
...There will always be a charge for internet access vs. just using a key fob.
The alternative is an aftermarket RS accessory that, once installed, remains free to operate and generally has better range than the Lexus product.
I would prefer the remote starter I had in my last car. It was a Viper SmartStart, which came with a separate key FOB, but also worked with a phone app. The phone app worked 99% of the time, from anywhere. I think I paid less than $100 for 3 years. It was well worth it. Note: I see that cost is now around $180 for 3 years, which I still think is a good deal.

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform remote start disappoints