ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

30K mile service

Old 11-13-16, 02:01 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 30K mile service

Wow, did I get schooled today... took my 2013 ES in to a local Lexus dealership for an oil and filter change.. service writer asked me if I wanted "just an oil change" or the 30K mile service... so I asked her to lay out what all was involved with the 30K service... below is a list of what she told me and what I did..

Change Oil and Filter..... told her yes and also told her I had my own oil in the trunk ( mobil 1 synthetic )

Rotate tiries................. told her to not to worry about this since I'm putting on a new set of Pirelli's next saturday ( YAY!!!! )

Replace Cabin air Filter.... told her to do it "IF" it needed it....ended up being replaced, they brought out the old filter and it was pretty nasty looking

Replace engine air filter.. again, told her if it needed it, and again they showed me mine and it was filthy, so replaced it..

Change Fluid in the Rear differential.... okay, now I'm old school ( 61 years old ), used to be a pretty fair mechanic back in my younger days, and never ever thought about doing this on a car with only 30K miles on it... declined the service..

Then there were the usual oil disposal fees etc etc... so in the end oil and filter change ( and I provided my own oil, and they replaced both air filters... here's the kick in the gut... my bill was nearly $217.00 bucks... With labor included they charged me nearly $140 bucks to change two air filters.... This won't happen again.. changing air filters can't be that difficult and I know I can buy them at pep boys or auto zone or hell, probably at wal mart for a lot less than this... when I heard what my bill was, I took a double take... I didn't get mad because after all I did tell them to change the filters... but over 216 bucks for oil change and 2 filters replaced.... didn't see that coming... live and learn fellas, live and learn.

From now on I will be referencing my owners manual to see what needs to be done and when... looked at a quick reference schedule on line tonight and no mention of a rear differential service at 30K miles... might be different in the owners manual, but I doubt it... I'm just having a bit of trouble getting past the $140 charge alone just to replace 2 air filters.. never again.

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 11-13-16 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-13-16, 03:39 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,050 Likes on 687 Posts

Every 10,000 miles I get oil changed and tire rotation. If at the Lexus dealership this should be less than $100. Every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed and again about $100. Every 20,000 miles change the air and cabin filters. This combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18, It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. You are done until 100,000 miles. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $15 labor.
Old 11-13-16, 05:24 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

You now have the right idea about replacing the filters yourself -very easy and available at any auto parts store. Someone with very minimal car knowledge can replace those.

But you should complain to the dealership on trying to get a rear differential fluid replacement done. What the hell? That service advisor should be more knowledgable, or they were trying to get you to buy unnecessary services.
Old 11-13-16, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,497 Likes on 1,800 Posts

$217 isn't bad for that from the Lexus dealer. Remember their labor rate is like $140 an hour.

I pay $200 at my dealer for just an oil change and tire rotation, that includes the oil though.

What's more troubling is the dealer was either so stupid or crooked they tried to get you to pay for a rear differential service on a FWD ES350 that doesn't have a rear differential LOL
Old 11-13-16, 06:54 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,228 Likes on 861 Posts

Next time you go to this dealer ask about the rear differential and ask if they provide KY along with the bill...

As other members have correctly stated, changing the air filters takes no more than 10 minutes of your time. A real rip from the dealer.
Old 11-13-16, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Or if they can also lube the muffler bearings lol
Old 11-13-16, 07:02 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Or if they can also lube the muffler bearings lol
Ha! That's a good one...
Old 11-13-16, 07:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 690 Likes on 507 Posts

Perhaps they can even check the blinker fluid levels?
Old 11-13-16, 08:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I can see where this thread is going. In all seriousness Poppa, you really should have the flux capacitor changed out at 30k miles.
Old 11-13-16, 08:30 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

While it is particularly troublesome to see a dealer trying to sell a service that doesn't even apply to the vehicle being serviced, it is not uncommon for dealers, when a car is brought in for scheduled maintenance, to try to sell the customer services beyond those included in the manufacturer's list of services that should be performed.

The dealers that do so are ones that I would definitely avoid, but I also would suggest looking into using either a Toyota dealer or an independent mechanic for service. In the 15 years or so that I've been driving Lexus vehicles, I've been using the local Toyota dealer for both scheduled maintenance and repairs (although I've had only minimal need for repairs on any of my Lexus vehicles). Consistently, the prices that I've paid for such maintenance and repairs at the Toyota dealer has been less than half of what the Lexus dealer would have charged for the same work.
Old 11-13-16, 09:03 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes, all I ever do is oil changes at now 10,000 mile intervals. Tire rotations are either at Discount Tire or by myself. Cabin filter is myself as well. Since I lease and get the first service free I can get three years for $200. I am driving this car less and may not even have to do the 30K service so maybe $100.

NEVER ask for the 30K or any other dealer recommended service. You didn't do bad at all though, I have seen much higher charges. And you probably got a wash and some free food. I think it is good to at least make yourself visible at you dealer occasionally just in case some major ever does happen.

Dave Mac
Old 11-13-16, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The problem really is that these service advisors know nothing about the cars they're servicing. She has no idea what model is FWD, or RWD, or AWD, what has a differential or doesn't. Good SA's are few and far between.

I too like the convenience and experience of the dealer, but usually I use my independent mechanic. Recently I found out that the dealer uses a no name bulk oil for oil changes, not the Toyota oil or Mobil 1 or anything high quality. Especially bad considering they're charging $150 for a synthetic oil change. So I firmly believe with a good independent mechanic you're paying less AND getting better service.

I can't wait to tell my guy next time I see him this dealer wanted to change the differential fluid in a FWD ES lol
Old 11-13-16, 11:38 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS

I can't wait to tell my guy next time I see him this dealer wanted to change the differential fluid in a FWD ES lol
That's bad, really bad... a note to the SM is in order on this one.
Old 11-13-16, 06:03 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa

From now on I will be referencing my owners manual to see what needs to be done and when..
I am not much different that you in age, but I have been doing that for the past 30 years or so.... Took one instance many years ago to convince me to do that.
Old 11-13-16, 10:40 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Hey guys, really appreciate all of your comments and I gotta tell you, I feel like an absolute idiot.... I know thats a fw drive vehicle, yet it never entered my mind about the rear differential..... There is a toyota dealership located right next door to the "only" lexus dealership in town. Unfortunately both of those dealerships are owned by the same man, and the toyotal dealership told me they will not service my lexus there, that I had to take it to Lexus.... there is another Toyota dealership here in town but it is clear across town, close to a 30 to 35 minute drive. As for using the dealership from time to time just so they see me in person periodically, they see me just about every weekend. One of the perks from buying my car from them was free car washes for as long as I own the car. No drive thru wash, they have 4 or 5 guys in the back hand washing the cars all day long. about the service, and things you guys mentioned like getting my having the flux capacitor changed or lubing the muffler bearings, or changing the blinker fluid... you guys missed one, I neglected to have them change the air in my tires from summer air to winter air... oh well, I'm putting a new set of tires on the ES next weekend.. I'll make sure they get the right air in there then... :-)

Poppa

Last edited by Poppa; 11-13-16 at 10:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 30K mile service