30K mile service

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 05:45 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by HouseB328
Yes, old thread, but this kind of stuff just makes you mad. Forget finding another dealership, someone needs to tell them what crooks they are. And that you will spread this news all over their local area until they start becoming honest. Because there are people who are not into cars and especially elderly people who bought their dream Lexus who will fall for this stuff.

Unbelievable that these "dealerships" are actively trying to cheat people. Yes, doing a fuel injector cleaner is one thing, but advertising battery prolongation and engine prolong life?
I agree with this assessment. I think that they are actively trying to pad the bill. This isn't a service writer action, it's the policy of the management. Every manufacturer I've ever seen advises against additives to the oil and simply recommends adhering to the maintenance schedule. Here we have some magic solution that "prolongs engine life". What BS. Can't even guess what the battery abra cadabra means. And yes, some people don't know any better and get screwed by unscrupulous businesses. Especially the elderly because they're so trusting and females only because they know little about cars.
Old 09-03-17, 08:36 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

x2.bc6152. The other thing that I have a problem with is 30k brake fluid replacement. Up until the 70`s I`ll admit this was a problem because of cracked rubber insulators on the brake cylinders allowing water to enter into the cylinders over time and contaminating the brake fluid. When brake cylinders were overhauled or replaced, which happened quite often back then, brake fluid flushing was mandatory. These days its not as prevalent. A check of the brake cylinder boots form time to time is all that's required between brake pad replacements. A check at this time with a brakefluid humidity tester will let you know if there is any humidity. I checked mine ( all 4 cylinders) and the master cyl reservoir and had no humidity at all after 90k miles. I drove a 92 Toyota corolla for over 300k miles and never had any problems. I didn't have a humidity meter back then. I got mine from amazon for around $15. I checked it to make sure it worked by adding 1 drop of water to a very small sample and stirred it and sure enough it showed 2% water.

Last edited by Tetguy; 09-03-17 at 08:38 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-04-17, 04:11 AM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetguy
x2.bc6152. The other thing that I have a problem with is 30k brake fluid replacement. Up until the 70`s I`ll admit this was a problem because of cracked rubber insulators on the brake cylinders allowing water to enter into the cylinders over time and contaminating the brake fluid. When brake cylinders were overhauled or replaced, which happened quite often back then, brake fluid flushing was mandatory. These days its not as prevalent. A check of the brake cylinder boots form time to time is all that's required between brake pad replacements. A check at this time with a brakefluid humidity tester will let you know if there is any humidity. I checked mine ( all 4 cylinders) and the master cyl reservoir and had no humidity at all after 90k miles. I drove a 92 Toyota corolla for over 300k miles and never had any problems. I didn't have a humidity meter back then. I got mine from amazon for around $15. I checked it to make sure it worked by adding 1 drop of water to a very small sample and stirred it and sure enough it showed 2% water.
At least the brake fluid change is recommended by Lexus every 30K miles, but there are many other services never mentioned, or recommended by the manufacturer.