ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

30K mile service

Old 04-23-17, 04:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by newone88
I'm due for 30k service in few months and the service person sent me this email as heads up so I don't get sticker shock.
Is this normal?

Thanks

The price of even the "basic" service is beyond outrageous.

I could have all of the items on the basic list list done on my ES at the local Toyota dealer for well under $200, and that would include paying them to replace the cabin air filter, which is an easy DIY job.

My Toyota dealer charges me $40 for a full synthetic oil change (with a coupon), $10 for a tire rotation and balance, and $105 for the brake fluid flush and replacement, which are the 3 critical elements of the 30,000 mile service.

The dealership that is charging those prices is counting either on vehicle owners with money to waste or on there being many with more money than brains.

I had to chuckle when I read that one of the "perks" of going for the "recommended" level of service is "10% off on your next service". That would mean that, when you brought the car in for the next service, instead of overcharging you by about 500%, they would likely only be overcharging you by about 450% for that next service.

Last edited by lesz; 04-23-17 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-23-17, 06:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

I'm due for 30k service in few months and the service person sent me this email as heads up so I don't get sticker shock.
Is this normal?

Thanks

After seeing this list I thought I might have the "big one". As Les stated these charges are outrageous and ludicrous. They're actually unbelievable... What the hell is zMax and how does it "extend engine life". Then there's the "battery protection service". What does that even mean?
Old 04-23-17, 06:35 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Is this normal?

Thanks
That is not what you average Lexus dealer would charge. I would find another one or go to a Toyota dealer. Also, check your owners manual for the recommended 30,000 service, I do not believe you will find all that they list.The 30,000 mile service on my ES300h was $435.77

Here is the recommended service they did and they also replaced the speaker in my drivers door under warranty and did the PCS recall. I had a loaner for a few days.
FACTORY RECOMMENDED 30,000 mile ES300h
Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Inverter Coolant
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect /Adjust All Fluid Levels
  • Inspect Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Steering Gear Box/Rack And Pinion
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
FACTORY RECOMMENDED
2015 ES350 30,000
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Brake Rotor Thickness and Runout
  • Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Engine Oil With 0W-20 Oil, And Oil Filter
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
Old 04-23-17, 09:26 AM
newone88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the reply, I appreciate it. I thought it was outrageous as well and that is why I posted i here to make sure. I will not worry about it now and will find another dealer when the time comes.

Cheers
Old 04-23-17, 10:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts

Do yourself a favor and achieve great satisfaction from doing it yourself: Change the cabin filter inside the glove box - 5 minutes - about $17.00 at Walmart - $55.00 from dealer.
Change the engine air filter which takes about 10-15 minutes and costs $11.00 at Walmart - $50.00 at dealer. There are Youtube videos which show you how easy it is.

GOOD LUCK!
The following users liked this post:
newone88 (04-23-17)
Old 04-23-17, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Do yourself a huge favor and find an independent mechanic...
Old 04-23-17, 01:54 PM
dsandrews2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
$711 for the least expensive service WOW!!! At 30,000 miles the oil and brake fluid needs to be changed along with a tire rotation. These ordered a la carte should cost you $100 for the brake fluid change, $75 for the oil change and $25 for the tire rotation. The air and cabin filters combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18. It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. Total for all this should be around $256. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor and $100 for the brake fluid change.
My Toyota dealer sent me next door to the Lexus dealer for oil change saying they were required to do so.. Capitol Toyota in Chattanooga, TN
Old 04-23-17, 03:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by dsandrews2
My Toyota dealer sent me next door to the Lexus dealer for oil change saying they were required to do so.. Capitol Toyota in Chattanooga, TN
I think that what you say is likely to happen if the Toyota dealer and the Lexus dealer share the same ownership. Even if they don't, a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer in the same town could also have a mutual agreement not to work on the cars of each other's brand. In my situation, the Toyota dealer doesn't have a Lexus dealer within 100 miles of it, and they welcome service work on Lexus vehicles.

If a Toyota dealer that will work on a Lexus vehicle can't be found nearby, I would suggest finding an independent mechanic with a good reputation. I'm sure that there are several of those in just about any city.
Old 04-26-17, 01:33 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that what you say is likely to happen if the Toyota dealer and the Lexus dealer share the same ownership. Even if they don't, a Toyota dealer and a Lexus dealer in the same town could also have a mutual agreement not to work on the cars of each other's brand. In my situation, the Toyota dealer doesn't have a Lexus dealer within 100 miles of it, and they welcome service work on Lexus vehicles.

If a Toyota dealer that will work on a Lexus vehicle can't be found nearby, I would suggest finding an independent mechanic with a good reputation. I'm sure that there are several of those in just about any city.
Hey Guys... there is a Toyota dealership located right next door to the Lexus dealership where I bought my ES. Both dealerships are owned by the same man...Toyota service writer told me that would not service my Lexus.

Poppa
Old 04-26-17, 07:13 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>Toyota service writer told me that would not service my Lexus.

Find another Toyota dealership. They'll be very happy to see you.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2
Old 09-02-17, 03:59 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Wow, did I get schooled today... took my 2013 ES in to a local Lexus dealership for an oil and filter change.. service writer asked me if I wanted "just an oil change" or the 30K mile service... so I asked her to lay out what all was involved with the 30K service... below is a list of what she told me and what I did..

Change Oil and Filter..... told her yes and also told her I had my own oil in the trunk ( mobil 1 synthetic )

Rotate tiries................. told her to not to worry about this since I'm putting on a new set of Pirelli's next saturday ( YAY!!!! )

Replace Cabin air Filter.... told her to do it "IF" it needed it....ended up being replaced, they brought out the old filter and it was pretty nasty looking

Replace engine air filter.. again, told her if it needed it, and again they showed me mine and it was filthy, so replaced it..

Change Fluid in the Rear differential.... okay, now I'm old school ( 61 years old ), used to be a pretty fair mechanic back in my younger days, and never ever thought about doing this on a car with only 30K miles on it... declined the service..

Then there were the usual oil disposal fees etc etc... so in the end oil and filter change ( and I provided my own oil, and they replaced both air filters... here's the kick in the gut... my bill was nearly $217.00 bucks... With labor included they charged me nearly $140 bucks to change two air filters.... This won't happen again.. changing air filters can't be that difficult and I know I can buy them at pep boys or auto zone or hell, probably at wal mart for a lot less than this... when I heard what my bill was, I took a double take... I didn't get mad because after all I did tell them to change the filters... but over 216 bucks for oil change and 2 filters replaced.... didn't see that coming... live and learn fellas, live and learn.

From now on I will be referencing my owners manual to see what needs to be done and when... looked at a quick reference schedule on line tonight and no mention of a rear differential service at 30K miles... might be different in the owners manual, but I doubt it... I'm just having a bit of trouble getting past the $140 charge alone just to replace 2 air filters.. never again.

Poppa
The air filters are quite easy on the ES. Takes all of 10minutes each, quicker if you don't grab a cool one between filters.
Cabin Filter, I do ANNUALLY. You can find instructions on YouTube. You clear out the glove box and the door is at the back. You can find filters on Amazon for $10. It doesn't pay to check it just do it.
​​​​​​The engine air filter is on the right in the engine bay, I think four clips hold it in place. I switched to K&N as soon as I got the car. Again a regular filter costs$10-$20 on Amazon.
both are easy DIY jobs. I do all my car cabin filters annually, order and replace at same time, makes it easy to keep track of.
Old 09-02-17, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

An old thread, but it still amazes me the dealer would try and sell a rear differential service on a FWD ES. Incredible.
Old 09-02-17, 10:57 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
That is not what you average Lexus dealer would charge. I would find another one or go to a Toyota dealer. Also, check your owners manual for the recommended 30,000 service, I do not believe you will find all that they list.The 30,000 mile service on my ES300h was $435.77

Here is the recommended service they did and they also replaced the speaker in my drivers door under warranty and did the PCS recall. I had a loaner for a few days.
FACTORY RECOMMENDED 30,000 mile ES300h
Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Inverter Coolant
  • Inspect Visually, Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Inspect Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Brake Linings/Drums And Brake Pads/Discs
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
  • Visually Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
FACTORY RECOMMENDED
2015 ES350 30,000
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Body
  • Inspect Brake Rotor Thickness and Runout
  • Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Engine Oil With 0W-20 Oil, And Oil Filter
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
Jollik is correct. I have a 2014 ES 350 and just went in for my 45K service to Lexus and was charged $115. The 45K list is similar to the above (see below) but the point is, for a Lexus dealer, it should be something above $100 or so. While I can replace a few things myself, that $115 is peace of mind knowing everything was looked over (and we know they look for "extra" stuff just in case...so it gets a good look over.)

You can download the "2014 Lexus ES 350 Warranty and Services Guide" (which applies to 2013-15 at least) from: https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...350_WSG_lr.pdf

Matt
Old 09-03-17, 05:18 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, old thread, but this kind of stuff just makes you mad. Forget finding another dealership, someone needs to tell them what crooks they are. And that you will spread this news all over their local area until they start becoming honest. Because there are people who are not into cars and especially elderly people who bought their dream Lexus who will fall for this stuff.

Unbelievable that these "dealerships" are actively trying to cheat people. Yes, doing a fuel injector cleaner is one thing, but advertising battery prolongation and engine prolong life?
Old 09-03-17, 05:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, I don't think they were trying to cheat anybody I just think they're incompetent. Service advisors that know so little about the product they had no idea an ES has no rear differential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 30K mile service