ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

30K mile service

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Don't feel stupid, it's their job to provide good service to you not your job to fact check everything they tell you.

I bet bet they've "changed the rear differential fluid" in plenty of ES350s lol. It's especially egregious that she would suggest such a thing because half of all the cars she puts through service are FWD ES's. You could almost excuse ignorance of a rare car like an LS or LX, but to be a Lexus service rep and not know the ES is FWD? Or to be the same and not know a FWD car has no rear differential...that's inexcusable and I give dealers a lot of benefit of the doubt...
Old 11-14-16, 05:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I neglected to have them change the air in my tires from summer air to winter air... oh well, I'm putting a new set of tires on the ES next weekend.. I'll make sure they get the right air in there then... :-)

Poppa
That is actually a reminder of another way that dealers/service departments have found that allows them to extract money that doesn't need to be spent from their customers, and that is by selling them nitrogen fills for their tires.

To start with, it is questionable whether there is anything more than very marginal value to having what is only a slightly higher percentage of nitrogen in the tires than the 78% of regular air that is already nitrogen. Beyond that, though, even if you do get a nitrogen fill, when you let air out of the tires to maintain proper pressures during the spring/summer, you are letting out some of the nitrogen rich air that was in the tires and that you paid for. Then, when you add air in the fall/winter to bring the pressure back to where it should be with cooler temperatures, you are just putting regular air back into the tires. Unless you go back to the dealer every time you need to add more air to the tires and have them add more of the nitrogen, within a short period of time, your tires end up being reverted to just having regular air in them. Yet, dealers are able to convince a good number of people that it is worth spending $100 or more to have the tires filled with nitrogen.
Old 11-14-16, 07:50 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Back in August I took my 2013 ES300h in for the 30,000 mile service and new wipers, the cost with tax was $435.77. A lot of money! But I have piece of mind knowing my investment is being taken care of as I plan on keeping this car for a very long time.
Old 11-14-16, 06:45 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Hey Poppa, please know that I wasn't trying to make fun of you with my remark. I was just having some fun with the moment. We have all been there a time or three so don't sweat it. Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous dealers but I think there are many honest ones too. Fortunately, I believe I have been pretty lucky with our dealer but who knows. I guess I better have them put that summer air back in my tires now.
Old 11-15-16, 12:45 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Hey Poppa, please know that I wasn't trying to make fun of you with my remark. I was just having some fun with the moment. We have all been there a time or three so don't sweat it.
Not a problem my friend,,, I just assumed you were just having a little fun with it... and that didn't bother me at all.... The only thing I was upset about was my own ignorance... like I said earlier, I am well aware that my ES is a fw drive vehicle so I don't know why It never entered my mind to question the rear differential issue... I can assure you it will be the first question I ask the service writer the next time I'm at the dealership.... Just want to see their reaction.... but again, your remarks didn't offend me in the least, I was having a little fun with it myself... but thanks for dropping me a line...

Poppa
Old 11-15-16, 07:24 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Recently I found out that the dealer uses a no name bulk oil for oil changes, not the Toyota oil or Mobil 1 or anything high quality".

Geez Lexonians! How can we find out if our dealer is doing this? Would definitely like to get the 'good' oil in my 4 wheeled friend. ;-)

Yeh what happened above sounds a little more than the usual dealer's hustle......either gross ignorance, or they're hoping to take advantage

and charge you for something they didn't do. I'm a assuming a FWD vehicle wouldn't even have a 'rear differential', from the comments above.
Old 11-15-16, 07:46 AM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the brake fluid a 30k service? My 30k will happen during the when it is 3 model years old which is the change interval for the fluid. I have a free service contract for the first 4 services (up to 45k) and want them to do this for me without charge/question.
Old 11-15-16, 09:55 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

2013 ES 36 Months or 30,000 Miles
Replace engine oil with 0W-20 oil; replace oil filter
Reset maintenance reminder light
Rotate tires
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace engine air filter
Replace Smart Key battery
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Road-test vehicle

Inspect the following:
Axle shaft boots
Ball joints and dust covers
Body
Brake lines and hoses
Brake rotor thickness and runout
Engine coolant (see page 69)
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Rack and pinion assembly
Steering linkage and boots
Transmission for signs of leakage
Old 11-15-16, 09:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
"Recently I found out that the dealer uses a no name bulk oil for oil changes, not the Toyota oil or Mobil 1 or anything high quality".

Geez Lexonians! How can we find out if our dealer is doing this? Would definitely like to get the 'good' oil in my 4 wheeled friend. ;-)
You kinda have to watch them. I found out from talking to the distributor who sells my dealer their oil...
Old 04-12-17, 07:10 PM
dsandrews2
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Wow, did I get schooled today... took my 2013 ES in to a local Lexus dealership for an oil and filter change.. service writer asked me if I wanted "just an oil change" or the 30K mile service... so I asked her to lay out what all was involved with the 30K service... below is a list of what she told me and what I did..

Change Oil and Filter..... told her yes and also told her I had my own oil in the trunk ( mobil 1 synthetic )

Rotate tiries................. told her to not to worry about this since I'm putting on a new set of Pirelli's next saturday ( YAY!!!! )

Replace Cabin air Filter.... told her to do it "IF" it needed it....ended up being replaced, they brought out the old filter and it was pretty nasty looking

Replace engine air filter.. again, told her if it needed it, and again they showed me mine and it was filthy, so replaced it..

Change Fluid in the Rear differential.... okay, now I'm old school ( 61 years old ), used to be a pretty fair mechanic back in my younger days, and never ever thought about doing this on a car with only 30K miles on it... declined the service..

Then there were the usual oil disposal fees etc etc... so in the end oil and filter change ( and I provided my own oil, and they replaced both air filters... here's the kick in the gut... my bill was nearly $217.00 bucks... With labor included they charged me nearly $140 bucks to change two air filters.... This won't happen again.. changing air filters can't be that difficult and I know I can buy them at pep boys or auto zone or hell, probably at wal mart for a lot less than this... when I heard what my bill was, I took a double take... I didn't get mad because after all I did tell them to change the filters... but over 216 bucks for oil change and 2 filters replaced.... didn't see that coming... live and learn fellas, live and learn.

From now on I will be referencing my owners manual to see what needs to be done and when... looked at a quick reference schedule on line tonight and no mention of a rear differential service at 30K miles... might be different in the owners manual, but I doubt it... I'm just having a bit of trouble getting past the $140 charge alone just to replace 2 air filters.. never again.

Poppa
They did change your oil. I did the same service as you but paid $350.00. Dealer provided oil and filter. Your next service interval is 10k miles, I believe. Lexus is not cheap.
Old 04-12-17, 07:24 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Perhaps they can even check the blinker fluid levels?
It's free at Autozone.

The following users liked this post:
TechNut (04-12-17)
Old 04-20-17, 12:54 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

A few years back, shortly after I purchased my ES, I took it in for an oil change. as I always have done, I purchased my own oil ( mobil 1 synthetic ) to use in the oil change... The service writer told me that they would certainly use my own oil, but that it wasn't cost effective because they had mobil 1 oil made specifically for lexus to use at thier dealerships.... I'm a curious kind of guy so I called Mobil and got some tech on the phone.. I asked him if they made oil for Lexus and he informed me that they did make oil for various auto manufacturers, but he added "nothing is better than the Mobil 1 Synthetic " that you can buy off the shelf at wal-mart or your local auto parts store. To me, that sounded like he was telling me that what I bought at wal mart or auto zone was a better mobil 1 product than whay they made for the dealerships. I don't know that to be the case, but that's how I took it. Since then, I still take my own oil.... and I'm not bashful about standing at the shop door watching the tech changing my oil to make sure he uses it... I"ve gotten old, don't trust anyone anymore.. isn't that terrible?

Poppa
Old 04-20-17, 03:54 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Yeh what happened above sounds a little more than the usual dealer's hustle......either gross ignorance, or they're hoping to take advantage

and charge you for something they didn't do. I'm a assuming a FWD vehicle wouldn't even have a 'rear differential', from the comments above.
My service manager confirmed your comment about the bulk oil. He said if someone comes in and buys oil they get Toyota synthetic in quart sizes. When they do oil changes they use synthetic from drums. He told me the brand but I can not remember. I have heard of it but certainly was not a well known brand. This is why I bring my five quart jug of Mobil1 bought at Walmart for $24. Not only do I save money but I know a highly rated oil is being used.
The following users liked this post:
dsandrews2 (04-20-17)
Old 04-22-17, 08:47 PM
newone88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm due for 30k service in few months and the service person sent me this email as heads up so I don't get sticker shock.
Is this normal?

Thanks

Old 04-23-17, 03:55 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by newone88
I'm due for 30k service in few months and the service person sent me this email as heads up so I don't get sticker shock.
Is this normal?

Thanks

$711 for the least expensive service WOW!!! At 30,000 miles the oil and brake fluid needs to be changed along with a tire rotation. These ordered a la carte should cost you $100 for the brake fluid change, $75 for the oil change and $25 for the tire rotation. The air and cabin filters combined takes five minutes and the air filter can be bought on line at Lexus Parts World for $18. The cabin air filter can be bought at Walmart for $18. It is the Fram Fresh Breeze #10285 with carbon and baking soda to filter the air. Wiper blade inserts again can be bought at Lexus Parts World for $20 for both refills and takes five minutes to replace. At Lexus Parts World use cl5 in the promo code for 10% discount. Total for all this should be around $256. If you go in and ask for the 10,000, 20,000 30,000 maintenance you will be paying big bucks for a lot more items you do not need checked and inspected. Once a year replace the key fob battery cr2032. Keep receipts for everything. I take my oil filter bought at Lexus Parts World and 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 purchased at Walmart for $24 to my local Toyota dealer and they charge me $20 labor and $100 for the brake fluid change.

Quick Reply: 30K mile service