ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Suspension modifications for a softer ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 09:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have test driven the current generation ES before on the standard OEM Bridgestone Turanza ER33 215/55R17.
It may be a touch firmer than previous generations, but it is far from what I would describe as firm.
I think the current ES has a lovely & beautifully balanced ride.
[It is the current model GS which is firm].

However, if you insist, then:
1) Check tire pressures.
2) Change to Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S tires.

3) Consider downsizing to 16" rims, provided the front brake disc size allows.

4) Test drive the updated 2016 ES350 & check if the update is any softer?
If they are softer, then ask parts department to compare front coil & front shock absorber part numbers with your 2015 ES to see if Lexus has genuinely upgraded the front suspension?
If they have really upgraded the front suspension, then you could fit the updated springs/shockies to your car.
Normally, manufacturers only upgrade the front suspension, rather than both the front and the rear suspension - to minimize costs for them.

Also test drive the Toyota Avalon, noting the tire & wheel sizes.
It is often possible to fit Avalon suspension onto ES! Check out the possibility?
[I fitted 1997 Camry suspension onto my 1997 ES].

NB.
Aftermarket coils with shorter travel will only cause the car to bottom out quickly, and often a firmer ride is dialled-in to prevent this.
For legal reasons, it is difficult for aftermarket suppliers to soften the ride, because this actually compromizes the vehicle's active safety.
Normally, it is far more common for aftermarket suppliers to firm the ride up.

5) Consider changing to Hyundai Genesis or Benz E Class etc, which have genuinely softer suspension...

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-06-16 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 08:49 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is something that I spent some time looking into, before finally settling on a 2016 ES 350. It is pretty soft, although in my opinion it
could be softer. I think someone with back issues would probably still have problems.

I can tell you that my Mom has a lot of back and bone issues, and I took her test driving a bunch of cars. The ES 350 2016 was the one she
said bothered her 'the least'.

We never test drove the Hyundai Genesis though. The LS would have been too expensive.
Old 11-07-16, 08:52 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I also spent some time testing the Dodge Chargers and Challengers, because they have the old 'double Y' suspension (as opposed to the
more common McPhearson struts). I heard this was a superior system, and would take bumps better.

They seemed better than my Accord, but in a way not as smooth as the ES 350. It's really hard to get a good idea without driving one after the other.

I also heard the Chrysler 300 (one of them) is good.
Old 11-07-16, 12:15 PM
MWLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension modifications for a softer ride

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. After doing some research, here's some information I found that may be of interest:

1) According to BC Racing, they do have custom coilovers that fit my 2015 ES350. However, they are not available with springs that are softer than stock and the ride height will be at least 1 to 1-1/2 inches lower. They also stated that in general, there are no suspension systems of any kind that will be softer than stock.

2) My online research indicates that the part numbers of both the front and rear struts for the 17" wheels changed from 2015 to 2016 (I didn't compare the struts for the 18" wheels). I'll defer to other posters as to how the ride comfort of the 2015 compares to the 2016. If the ride comfort of the 2016 is indeed better, then perhaps it's due a change in struts.

3) As I mentioned in my original post, 16" wheels and higher profile tires will fit the car, according to Tire Rack. Their specific recommendations for my objective were to go to a 225-60-16 tire size and Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tires. This setup should be a little softer, but I suspect that it will not result in a significant difference in the stiffness of the ride motions over bumps and uneven surfaces.

By the way, jloftus, I did drive a 2014 Chrysler 300 and found the ride to be excellent over rough surfaces--it gobbled up large bumps and had more of a traditional "big car" ride (there were other issues that caused me not to buy the car, though).
Old 11-07-16, 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

One thing that has an impact on how older cars ride and newer cars ride is seat construction. Older Lexus cars for instance had springs in their seat designs, new ones don't. When I drive an older Lexus I always notice how much of your perceptions of the ride comes from the absorbent nature of the seat suspension.
Old 11-07-16, 12:35 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

That's a good point about the older cars. That could be part of the reason why my Mom's old Mercury Grand Marquis seems so good
on the bumps - even after 70K miles.
Old 11-07-16, 02:02 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MWLex
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. After doing some research, here's some information I found that may be of interest:

1) According to BC Racing, they do have custom coilovers that fit my 2015 ES350. However, they are not available with springs that are softer than stock and the ride height will be at least 1 to 1-1/2 inches lower. They also stated that in general, there are no suspension systems of any kind that will be softer than stock.

2) My online research indicates that the part numbers of both the front and rear struts for the 17" wheels changed from 2015 to 2016 (I didn't compare the struts for the 18" wheels). I'll defer to other posters as to how the ride comfort of the 2015 compares to the 2016. If the ride comfort of the 2016 is indeed better, then perhaps it's due a change in struts.

3) As I mentioned in my original post, 16" wheels and higher profile tires will fit the car, according to Tire Rack. Their specific recommendations for my objective were to go to a 225-60-16 tire size and Pirelli P7 All Season Plus tires. This setup should be a little softer, but I suspect that it will not result in a significant difference in the stiffness of the ride motions over bumps and uneven surfaces.

By the way, jloftus, I did drive a 2014 Chrysler 300 and found the ride to be excellent over rough surfaces--it gobbled up large bumps and had more of a traditional "big car" ride (there were other issues that caused me not to buy the car, though).
Why not test drive your 2015 back to back with the 2016 yourself, and let us know how they compare?

Be careful, some times the new 2016 could be even firmer than your 2015.
Be very careful; the way new management under Akio Toyoda is going, I wouldn't be surprised if 2016 ES is firmer, because the 2015 GS got firmer than original 4GS's via the front shockies.

Also compare sway bar part numbers.

Also compare Avalon ride.
Often the Avalon is softer than ES...

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-07-16 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 08:13 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Sometimes I wonder if the firmness can vary by car. I mean two different cars that are the same model having different firmness. Maybe they don't
pay that much attention to the tightness of the suspension, and kind of wing it. After all, for most people it's not a big issue.
Old 11-10-16, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jloftus
Sometimes I wonder if the firmness can vary by car. I mean two different cars that are the same model having different firmness. Maybe they don't
pay that much attention to the tightness of the suspension, and kind of wing it. After all, for most people it's not a big issue.
With modern high precision manufacturing, especially with Toyota/Lexus, I would find that very hard to believe.
Old 11-11-16, 11:27 AM
ncee
Rookie

Default Softer ride

Wow, this is the same issue for many folks who purchased Avalons (although the 2016 is MUCH better). I for one, had considered an air suspension system at one time, but decided, before I would invest $2000.00 + for an air suspension, I would give more serious consideration for a used LS 460

Oh, I know about back issues. On a recent 2 week trip, my back gave out on the 3rd day. 2 Chiropractors, 1 Osteopath, 2 massages and some great pain bills from Canada (Over the counter)

For what it's worth, seems like the only way to get a REAL Old fashion floaty ride, is to buy an old car

​​​​​​​
Old 11-11-16, 12:15 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Yep I think you're right. Our old Mercury Grand Marquis is still better than any newer car I've experienced.

People in the 'modern era' want a hard ride I guess, for some unfathomable reason.
Old 11-11-16, 12:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Or is it that they're young - they want both the looks and the speed, while we're getting old, so we don't care for the looks, nor the speed?
Old 11-11-16, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are actually a lot of really good riding cars for sale right now...I've had this argument in the CarChat forum
Old 11-12-16, 04:03 AM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
There are actually a lot of really good riding cars for sale right now...I've had this argument in the CarChat forum
Is the new Genesis G90 one of them?
Old 11-12-16, 08:50 AM
ncee
Rookie

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
Is the new Genesis G90 one of them?
I haven't driven the 2016, 2017, but the 2015, wasn't REAL comfortable. Nice, but not great.

Quick Reply: Suspension modifications for a softer ride