2013 ES350 Sound system

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 05:16 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 ES350 Sound system

Hi guys, need some help please.

I am looking at several cars for my parents and the 2013 ES350 is one of them. I don't know much about this specific model. Are these just as reliable as all Lexus cars? I am looking at a high miles one around 90,000 miles to get me in the sub $20k price range. Anything I should know?

Also, I am concerned about the sound system. If I get the non-ML sound, is it easy to upgrade to an aftermarket nav with carplay and a better sound system? The design does not look like s standard double din will work? They will keep this car for about 7-10 years so I want to make sure it will last.
Would it be easy to change the head unti and upgrade the system?

Also, does the stock system support bluetooth streaming audio? Are there non-nav versions out there? Same questions I have about the non-nav.

Also, any suggestions I could get would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-16, 08:09 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

If it is the same design as the 2016, it would be really expensive to replace the head unit. There would be a lot of custom fabrication and a loss of some vehicle functions.
I am looking at the same delima. I have on order a DSP to convert the signal for an amp and then will replace the speakers, but will have to keep the stock headunit.

The stock units do support bluetooth streaming. I believe the non-nav units do as well. (my 2011 4Runner did so I would have to believe the Lexus does.)
Old 11-03-16, 10:20 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't comment about replacing with after market audio system. As for sound quality, I will say that the stock system is just "ok" in the 2013-16 version. The previous generation offered better sound quality IMO. Compared to other manufacturers' cars , could be worse, but could be better. If others say that it is hard to put in an aftermarket system (I am going to assume that this is tough), then strongly consider finding one with the ML system.

If you look at consumer reports, you will see that expected reliability would be predicted to be excellent. For a 2013 with 90K + miles, you will be out of factory warranty, and unlikely that a dealer will offer one with that many miles as certified pre owned (although you never know), but your price will be good. If you do the standard thing - try to take car to a mechanic to check it out, make sure there is no major damage from crashes etc, then you minimize any risk.

I just traded in my old 2005 ES330 with 120K miles for only $4000. It was kinda sad to see it go. It needed a few electronic things to be fixed, but is going to be a reliable and nice car for someone for another 100-200K miles I'm sure. I was tempted to keep it and give to a family member. but no one wanted it...

Originally Posted by maxse
Hi guys, need some help please.

I am looking at several cars for my parents and the 2013 ES350 is one of them. I don't know much about this specific model. Are these just as reliable as all Lexus cars? I am looking at a high miles one around 90,000 miles to get me in the sub $20k price range. Anything I should know?

Also, I am concerned about the sound system. If I get the non-ML sound, is it easy to upgrade to an aftermarket nav with carplay and a better sound system? The design does not look like s standard double din will work? They will keep this car for about 7-10 years so I want to make sure it will last.
Would it be easy to change the head unti and upgrade the system?

Also, does the stock system support bluetooth streaming audio? Are there non-nav versions out there? Same questions I have about the non-nav.

Also, any suggestions I could get would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-16, 10:35 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
IFor a 2013 with 90K + miles, you will be out of factory warranty, and unlikely that a dealer will offer one with that many miles as certified pre owned (although you never know),

I.
To qualify as a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned vehicle, it has to be less than 6 years old and have fewer than 70,000 miles.
Old 11-08-16, 10:01 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys, I don't mind non-CPO car since Lexus is reliable... Do I need to do things like I'm seeing in the Gx470 forum, like change the timing belt, water pump?

I see that the head unit is completely custom and non-standard. So here is my question. Is it possible to then keep the stock head unit but install an aftermaket AMP, speakers, sub, so it sounds awesome and control it with the stock set up?
Old 11-10-16, 06:32 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Do I need to do things like I'm seeing in the Gx470 forum, like change the timing belt, water pump?

The ES has a timing chain, not a timing belt.
Old 11-10-16, 07:00 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks guys, I don't mind non-CPO car since Lexus is reliable... Do I need to do things like I'm seeing in the Gx470 forum, like change the timing belt, water pump?

I see that the head unit is completely custom and non-standard. So here is my question. Is it possible to then keep the stock head unit but install an aftermaket AMP, speakers, sub, so it sounds awesome and control it with the stock set up?
Yes, you can change out the speakers and add an amp/sub and still use the stock radio. Slightly invasive question.. Are your parents really looking for high fidelity sound? I suggest you go to your local dealership and see for yourself if the stock radio is decent enough. For all intents and purposes, I see it more than adequate. But if you can find ML, all the better.
Old 11-21-16, 06:34 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks guys, still searching. Timing chain means it never needs to be replaced correct?
Old 11-22-16, 06:09 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

>Timing chain means it never needs to be replaced correct?

In general that is correct. The lifetime of the chain could be expected to be that of other internal mechanical components. So change the oil regularly, etc., and other things will convince you to get a new car long before the time chain will fail.

=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2