fetv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Key Factors To Speed Up Oil Extraction-Engine Oil Change

Old 10-07-16, 03:13 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The first 2 things are a known and have been for years.. The extraction?? id never do it..Doesnt get all the oil. Guess he isnt changing the filter full of Dirty oil either..
Old 10-07-16, 04:18 PM
fetv
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brent1944
The first 2 things are a known and have been for years.. The extraction?? id never do it..Doesnt get all the oil. Guess he isnt changing the filter full of Dirty oil either..
Yes, the first 2 things are obvious, but the third one is new and I think it is the most important factor.

Also you may not get all the oil this time, but you will get next time. My opinion, it is not a big deal. For those lazy people who don't change their oil often, this is an easy alternative.
Old 10-07-16, 04:43 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,238 Likes on 870 Posts

There's no good substitute for a conventional oil change where ALL of the oil is drained and a new filter installed. Any impurities contained within the filter simply recirculate through the engine. With the extended oil change schedules now in place they could be in there for a year... Not a good idea IMO.
Old 10-07-16, 04:53 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Nah, he does. He posted a video (see below).

I love the tree branch dip stick for checking level in the bucket. Can probably "upgrade" the suction to the bucket with an A/C vacuum pump(http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/a-c-vacuum-pump). Autozone loans them. But why loan when you can buy for one easy payment of $300? Can also punch a small hole in the suction tubing, just above the oil level, to allow aspiration of small air bubbles into the tube.

Fun video. Thanks for posting.

Richard
Old 10-07-16, 04:58 PM
fetv
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5Ws
Nah, he does. He posted a video (see below).

I love the tree branch dip stick for checking level in the bucket. Can probably "upgrade" the suction to the bucket with an A/C vacuum pump(http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/a-c-vacuum-pump). Autozone loans them. But why loan when you can buy for one easy payment of $300? Can also punch a small hole in the suction tubing, just above the oil level, to allow aspiration of small air bubbles into the tube.

Fun video. Thanks for posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woWjjqn-xb0

Richard
Thank you for your comments. The autozone loan could be a good idea (I did not know this before). Also I will try your idea of the small hole in the tubing next time.
Old 10-20-16, 12:59 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

There's nothing wrong with extraction. 99% of an oil change is because the oil loses its ability to provide protection as it breaks down due to heat and stress. By replacing your oil whether it be drain and refilling or extraction, you're doing just that. Of course replace your filter.

As long as the extractor reaches the bottom of the pan (which is where the dipstick goes) then you are emptying the oil. Pay attention to how much oil you refill and if it meets the mark on the stick. If it's the factory specified amount that you put back in AND the mark on the stick is where it needs to be, then your extractor pulls from the correct place. If you're that concerned about sediment at the bottom, then do a drain every 2 or 3 changes. But really that concern is negligible at best. That's what your oil filter and oil pump strainer are for (assuming there's even sediment to begin with) There shouldn't be if you are changing your oil frequently.

I've used this with my BMW for years with great results: http://amzn.to/2exzl9C
Old 10-20-16, 08:31 PM
fetv
Rookie

Nice to see other car owners extracting the oil without fear. You amazon link of the manual pump says "flex hose", I know what can dipstick hose do, but what does this flex hose do?
  • Includes 5 feet of flex hose and two dipstick hoses

Originally Posted by E46CT
There's nothing wrong with extraction. 99% of an oil change is because the oil loses its ability to provide protection as it breaks down due to heat and stress. By replacing your oil whether it be drain and refilling or extraction, you're doing just that. Of course replace your filter.

As long as the extractor reaches the bottom of the pan (which is where the dipstick goes) then you are emptying the oil. Pay attention to how much oil you refill and if it meets the mark on the stick. If it's the factory specified amount that you put back in AND the mark on the stick is where it needs to be, then your extractor pulls from the correct place. If you're that concerned about sediment at the bottom, then do a drain every 2 or 3 changes. But really that concern is negligible at best. That's what your oil filter and oil pump strainer are for (assuming there's even sediment to begin with) There shouldn't be if you are changing your oil frequently.

I've used this with my BMW for years with great results: http://amzn.to/2exzl9C
Old 10-21-16, 10:21 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ill just get it done at the Toyota dealer......