Bridgestone Turanza 18'' Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 08:53 AM
GTGaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone Turanza 18'' Wheels

Hi CL members,

I recently purchased 2014 Lexus ES with Luxury package and upgraded 18'' wheels that comes with Bridgestone Turanza. My car put on 19k miles and the tires looks fine. But my ride is not smooth and i can feel every bump in the road and lot of road noise on rough surfaces.
By going through CL forum i found its the characteristic of 18'' wheels combined with Bridgestone tires.

Do I need to just replace the tires(Michelin, Pirelli) to get the smooth ride or I need to change my wheels as well (to 17'').

People who owned the Bridgestone 18'' please share your experience.

Old 09-23-16, 10:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Changing tires and monitoring pressure should be all you need. I have the Bridgestones on 18" wheels, so I know they're not that great. The ride improved significantly after reducing the air pressure to 32psi, from the close to 40psi the dealer gave it to me with. That said, I'm looking forward to the day I can replace them. I'm only at 17k miles in 3 1/2 years, so that may be awhile.
Old 09-23-16, 12:32 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

my first set of tires were the bridgestones, and they were decent, but the michelins that i replaced them with(after they wore out) were much, much better. mike is right, lowering tire pressure helps a lot with all the bumps.
Old 09-23-16, 12:46 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I had Bridgestone Turanza tires some years ago on my Gen 4 ES. They were certainly noisier than Michelin Primacy MXV4s which I got later, but I'm not sure about harsher/bumpier. There are several things you can do , each of which probably would make some difference, as people have mentioned. The more you do, the more additive difference: How many steps you want to take is up to you, but obviously would'nt want to get 18 inch new tires, and then later decide to switch to 17 inch!

1) change tires. Depending which tire, may make a difference, but might just be quieter with equal bumpiness. Not sure if other tires truly can change the feel of bumps .... ? But noise for sure can be reduced.
2) Reduce air pressure - for sure will make it softer
3) reduce from 18 inch wheel to 17 inch wheel, hence a thicker tire.

Originally Posted by GTGaz
Hi CL members,

I recently purchased 2014 Lexus ES with Luxury package and upgraded 18'' wheels that comes with Bridgestone Turanza. My car put on 19k miles and the tires looks fine. But my ride is not smooth and i can feel every bump in the road and lot of road noise on rough surfaces.
By going through CL forum i found its the characteristic of 18'' wheels combined with Bridgestone tires.

Do I need to just replace the tires(Michelin, Pirelli) to get the smooth ride or I need to change my wheels as well (to 17'').

Old 09-23-16, 12:48 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

see also this thread:;;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-wheels-3.html

Originally Posted by GTGaz
Hi CL members,

Old 09-23-16, 12:53 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

although looks like some posters have commented on Pirelli Cinturato P7 having a softer ride.

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I had Bridgestone Turanza tires some years ago on my Gen 4 ES. They were certainly noisier than Michelin Primacy MXV4s which I got later, but I'm not sure about harsher/bumpier. There are several things you can do , each of which probably would make some difference, as people have mentioned. The more you do, the more additive difference: How many steps you want to take is up to you, but obviously would'nt want to get 18 inch new tires, and then later decide to switch to 17 inch!

1) change tires. Depending which tire, may make a difference, but might just be quieter with equal bumpiness. Not sure if other tires truly can change the feel of bumps .... ? But noise for sure can be reduced.
2) Reduce air pressure - for sure will make it softer
3) reduce from 18 inch wheel to 17 inch wheel, hence a thicker tire.
Old 09-26-16, 07:01 AM
GTGaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Changing tires and monitoring pressure should be all you need. I have the Bridgestones on 18" wheels, so I know they're not that great. The ride improved significantly after reducing the air pressure to 32psi, from the close to 40psi the dealer gave it to me with. That said, I'm looking forward to the day I can replace them. I'm only at 17k miles in 3 1/2 years, so that may be awhile.

Thank you Mike. Reducing the air pressure to 32psi made the difference.
Old 09-30-16, 10:26 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've experimented with several tires on my friends' Lexus ES - and out of the 4 tested, the Bridgestone Turanzas that come from the factory are the worst. It seems like a very cheap tire. Very good experience with the Pirelli Cinturato P7
Old 10-01-16, 12:55 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

I wonder also if ride quietness and softness is better if going to a H speed rated tire rather than a V rated?

Originally Posted by HouseB328
I've experimented with several tires on my friends' Lexus ES - and out of the 4 tested, the Bridgestone Turanzas that come from the factory are the worst. It seems like a very cheap tire. Very good experience with the Pirelli Cinturato P7
Old 10-01-16, 02:24 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Tire Rack reviews lead me to put Continental Extreme Tracs on a car because they
had great traction both wet and dry and a very quiet smooth ride. They did however
wear very quickly (25K miles) just as the reviews also pointed out.
Old 10-01-16, 02:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I wonder also if ride quietness and softness is better if going to a H speed rated tire rather than a V rated?
Very good question if the speed rating also affects the ride softness and noise; does anyone know?
However, it may affect car insurance changing the tire speed ratings?