ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Cracked Winshield Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 04:08 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cracked Winshield Advice

Ok - it happened - car just turned over 1k miles and we took an incoming rock on the windshield today. Impacted extreme driver side edge and caused two major cracks originating from point of impact - one over a foot long and the other about 6 inches. Safelite is gonna come out to replace but mentioned we may need the dealer to adjust lane departure cameras.

Does anyone have any experience to share or advice to offer? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks in advance, Bill G

Whoops - unable to edit misspelling in thread title

Last edited by gmanusmc; 09-19-16 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 04:16 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Sorry to hear about your windshield issue --- the thing that I hate most about windshield matters is that it could happen at anytime and anywhere. It sucks.

I don't know about a thing about LDW equipment, but my first advice for you is to not use Safelite for these type of repairs. Safelite is mediocre at best. I would let them replace a basic windshield on your everyday car. However, I will never let them touch a Lexus with special equipment.

Maybe you can Yelp for another windshield repair facility that has some good reviews and begin there. Where in CA are you?
Worst come worst you can do a dealership although I think most will sublet out the work. But at least you would have a solid warranty from the dealer. I assume you are paying out of pocket for only your insurance deductible?
Old 09-19-16, 04:52 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by azipod
Sorry to hear about your windshield issue --- the thing that I hate most about windshield matters is that it could happen at anytime and anywhere. It sucks.

I don't know about a thing about LDW equipment, but my first advice for you is to not use Safelite for these type of repairs. Safelite is mediocre at best. I would let them replace a basic windshield on your everyday car. However, I will never let them touch a Lexus with special equipment.

Maybe you can Yelp for another windshield repair facility that has some good reviews and begin there. Where in CA are you?
Worst come worst you can do a dealership although I think most will sublet out the work. But at least you would have a solid warranty from the dealer. I assume you are paying out of pocket for only your insurance deductible?
Thanks - we are in South Orange County. The local dealership is gonna have their glass guy call me tomorrow. I'll hit him with some questions to see if I get a warm and fuzzy about his service. It sounds like I can set it up through the dealer and they will stand behind it with a warranty.
Old 09-19-16, 05:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Per multiple previous threads on this board, others have reported problems with things like rain-sensing wipers after getting their windshields replaced with non-OEM glass.

If it was my car, I would definitely have the dealer do it with the original equipment glass. I don't know what kind of comprehensive insurance coverage you have, but, in my case, my comprehensive coverage is $0 deductible. So, there would be no out-of-pocket cost to me regardless of who does the job or what glass is being used. In some cases, the insurance company might try, at first, to use a less expensive alternative, but, if you push the point and insist on the OEM glass, they are likely to approve of using it.
Old 09-19-16, 05:47 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Per multiple previous threads on this board, others have reported problems with things like rain-sensing wipers after getting their windshields replaced with non-OEM glass.

If it was my car, I would definitely have the dealer do it with the original equipment glass. I don't know what kind of comprehensive insurance coverage you have, but, in my case, my comprehensive coverage is $0 deductible. So, there would be no out-of-pocket cost to me regardless of who does the job or what glass is being used. In some cases, the insurance company might try, at first, to use a less expensive alternative, but, if you push the point and insist on the OEM glass, they are likely to approve of using it.
Yeah - neglected to mention all the details - already talked with insurance folks - they will cover it and approved OEM replacement. I'll probably just run the whole thing through the local dealer to make this as seamless as possible. Hopefully no unexpected issues will pop up. I'm thinking using OEM will eliminate rain sensing and lane watch camera issues? I hope so.
Old 09-19-16, 06:49 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have personal experience with an RX and windshield replacement by a 3rd party without OEM parts. The rain sensing wipers never worked as precisely as before the replacement. I won't make this mistake again with a windshield that has electronics in it; go with the dealer.
Old 09-19-16, 07:24 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by modad
I have personal experience with an RX and windshield replacement by a 3rd party without OEM parts. The rain sensing wipers never worked as precisely as before the replacement. I won't make this mistake again with a windshield that has electronics in it; go with the dealer.
Thanks modad! I'm definitely seeing a trend here about staying with OEM and using a trustworthy provider. This forum is a lifesaver!
Old 09-20-16, 09:03 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the full price is to replace a windshield with all the tech gadgets?
Old 09-20-16, 10:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the full price is to replace a windshield with all the tech gadgets?
I just did a quick search of posts on this board, and I found several posts in which people told what they paid for windshield replacements on the ES. The range of prices paid went from a low of around $1500 to a high of around $2000 for OEM glass. I'm not sure whether the price variation was related to different electronics in the windshields or to some other factor. I also found another post in which someone said that he/she paid around $1200, but I believe that was with non-OEM glass.
Old 09-20-16, 12:56 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Gonna have the replacement done Friday - will report back the final cost and details.
Old 09-22-16, 02:31 PM
ESh888
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP WITHOUT TESTING THE RAIN SENSOR! I have had my windshield replaced twice at a SoCal Lexus dealership. On both visits they forgot to add a gel/seal on the rain sensor which means the intermittent and automatic feature will no longer work. On the last visit I had them test it with the glass cleaner in their spray bottle. It only took the installer 5 min to place the gel/seal. I didn't have any issues with the LDW.
Old 09-22-16, 03:51 PM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Safeco did a great job with my replacement. I requested a Lexus windshield which they did and they sent a mobile service to my place of work and tech did a great job. I have gps, rain sensing wipers and everything works perfectly!
Old 09-22-16, 04:18 PM
aleksfox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my story. 2013 ES 350, white/tan purchased 9/2013 in SoCal. On 3/17/2014 (6 months later!) huge crack in windshield developed the day after a car wash. Started bottom of passenger side, went half way up then nearly straight across all the way to driver's side. I literally watched it grow. Farmers Insurance/OEM replacement -- total $2100. Done in the parking lot at work by Penske. On 5/19/2014 (TWO months later) same exact thing. Left the Dealership after routine service and courtesy car wash. Next morning the exact same crack in nearly the exact same location. OEM replacement by Penske at the same price. Since then, no issues; all sensors, etc work fine. Friend who is a BMW guy, thought it was improper installation the first two times. Good luck and I will be interested in hearing your outcome.
Old 09-22-16, 04:44 PM
Kenster
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got a chip which turned into a growing crack on my 2016 NX200t.

Called the insurance company which recommended using SafeLite as the installer. I can use OEM glass without any additional out-of-pocket cost. Will let you guys know how the install goes and if there are any concerns.
Old 09-22-16, 05:54 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kenster
Just got a chip which turned into a growing crack on my 2016 NX200t.

Called the insurance company which recommended using SafeLite as the installer. I can use OEM glass without any additional out-of-pocket cost. Will let you guys know how the install goes and if there are any concerns.
Recommend you Google Safelite complaints prior to allowing them to do the work. They don't seem to have a good reputation any more.

Quick Reply: Cracked Winshield Advice