ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

GPS Bypass For Constant Video Source

Old 09-17-16, 04:39 PM
Ronegone1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Bypass For Constant Video Source

Hello everyone,

I am running into an issue where I have been able to connect a Chromecast to my NAV unit I am able to successfully display video and images to my display but running into an issue where I have to have the emergency brake and be at a complete stop for this function to work.
There is a Harness sold by Beat Sonic that would bypass the Emergency brake and speed function allowing you to display DVD's, only issue is that the GPS system would knock off the video signal when it senses the car in movement.
Does anyone know how the GPS signal could be bypass or switched off and on?
Was considering adding a switch to the exciting harness for the GPS input but unsure the wiring for the system.
Old 09-17-16, 06:15 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

why isnt it cheaper for the passenger to just use a portable device?
Old 09-19-16, 07:20 PM
Ronegone1
Driver School Candidate

Sadly my passengers are poor and do not have portable devices i must keep them entertained at all times.
Old 09-21-16, 09:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronegone1
Sadly my passengers are poor and do not have portable devices i must keep them entertained at all times.
Good one. Lol. I envision a comedy routine, impressions etc.
Old 09-22-16, 03:06 PM
tagor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ronegone1
Hello everyone,

I am running into an issue where I have been able to connect a Chromecast to my NAV unit I am able to successfully display video and images to my display but running into an issue where I have to have the emergency brake and be at a complete stop for this function to work.
There is a Harness sold by Beat Sonic that would bypass the Emergency brake and speed function allowing you to display DVD's, only issue is that the GPS system would knock off the video signal when it senses the car in movement.
Does anyone know how the GPS signal could be bypass or switched off and on?
Was considering adding a switch to the exciting harness for the GPS input but unsure the wiring for the system.
Hello,
What a timely post!
I have (had) a 2013 ES350. Unfortunately it was recently involved in an accident (total loss). I have ordered a brand new 2017 model, which I pick up in two weeks.
But I did have installed a Navigation/Video Enhancement System from http://www.prestigioussociety.com/
This is a fantastic system, that I could not imagine doing without. They send a small module, and a wire harness with instructions. You basically remove a few trim pieces and install it behind the radio. No cutting wires, all plug and play.
You turn it off and on by toggling the (factory) volume up and down switch on the steering wheel. No one would ever know it's installed.
When turned on you can... Watch a DVD movie on the NAV system, while the car is moving, and you can ALSO (my favorite part) access and program you NAV system or make phone calls. (Basically anything you can do with the car stopped and p-brake on.
Sadly the unit I have is only good up to 2015 model, when they made a change.
Yes, I have ordered a new one for my 2017... LOL
But I do have the old one I would be willing to sell... If interested PM me!
Old 10-16-16, 11:55 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a DIY method for bypassing the emergency brake here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/193739-navigation-hack-diy-part-one-enable-dvd-phonebook-and-mp3-folder-while-moving.html

This method is as easy as modding my Keurig, and now I don't have to spring for that BeatSonic bypass. It doesn't let you edit destination in motion though, seems to only work for DVD playback.
Old 10-16-16, 12:46 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

There's a reason that Lexus has a system in place to stop video when the car moves. It's called distraction which is extremely dangerous to those in the car and those in other cars.
Even if the video is for the passengers, it is distracting to the driver. This is why DVD/video screens are placed in the rear. A very bad idea IMO.
Old 10-16-16, 01:07 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
There's a reason that Lexus has a system in place to stop video when the car moves. It's called distraction which is extremely dangerous to those in the car and those in other cars.
Even if the video is for the passengers, it is distracting to the driver. This is why DVD/video screens are placed in the rear. A very bad idea IMO.
There are plenty of reasons to bypass without trying to watch a movie while driving.. You may want to switch a call from bluetooth, or have a passenger adjust your route/destination etc.

I don't condone watching movies while driving but I certainly condone bypasses and DIY projects
Old 10-18-16, 06:38 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Originally Posted by Grizsk
There are plenty of reasons to bypass without trying to watch a movie while driving.. You may want to switch a call from bluetooth, or have a passenger adjust your route/destination etc.

I don't condone watching movies while driving but I certainly condone bypasses and DIY projects
Both sides make valid points with regards to safety and responsibility.

I am on the bypass side, as I've installed the bypass on my own car. It's good. I don't watch DVDs while driving. I do want the capability if I'm on a long trip with wife. I would also use the bypass if my passenger can help me make changes to otherwise blocked features.

There's a line between safe vs risky use. I don't agree with taking away freedoms (ie watching DVDs in motion) in the name of safety. I'm a responsible guy and believe in taking responsability for my actions. Of course, that's me. It's also my limited opinion on the subject.

Different subject, but along the same vein: At the end of the day, when I'm in my apartment parking lot, I drive 5 - 10 mph looking for a parking spot. During this time, I take my setbelt off for comfort, and the car beeps at me. I don't like that sound, so I turned it off. There's no law or good reason (imo) that the car should beep at me during this time. So while it is a safety feature that I disabled, I don't think it makes me irresponsbile or reckless.

Sorry for droning on.

Richard
Old 10-19-16, 06:59 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

not sure how u turn off the beep
Old 10-19-16, 06:01 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brent1944
not sure how u turn off the beep
I used techstream to do it. Disabled driver/passenger seatbelt beep, which is not listed as dealer modifiable option. Also, stopped rear shade from going down in reverse and put lane change signal to 7 "blinks" from 3 (default).

Very much a DIY project, just need the cable and software and about 15 - 20 minutes.

Richard
Old 10-20-16, 05:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,227 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Ws
I used techstream to do it. Disabled driver/passenger seatbelt beep, which is not listed as dealer modifiable option. Also, stopped rear shade from going down in reverse and put lane change signal to 7 "blinks" from 3 (default).

Very much a DIY project, just need the cable and software and about 15 - 20 minutes.

Richard
There's a very easy way to stop the seatbelt beeping. Connect it and keep it connected until you stop driving the car. One click = no beeping...
Old 10-20-16, 06:12 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5Ws

Richard
And the cost? monthly fee?
Old 10-20-16, 06:31 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Ws

There's a line between safe vs risky use. I don't agree with taking away freedoms (ie watching DVDs in motion) in the name of safety. I'm a responsible guy and believe in taking responsability for my actions. Of course, that's me. It's also my limited opinion on the subject.

Richard
I have no issue whatever with the idea that people should have the "freedom" to make decisions for themselves regarding "safety vs. risk". However, I do have a problem with such "freedom" when the decisions that people make have the potential of risking the safety of other drivers on the road. A long-held principle related to freedoms and rights has been that our freedoms and rights extend only to the point where they have the potential of interfering with the rights and freedoms of others. Regardless of whether you are a "responsible guy", having the ability to watch video from the driver's seat comes with an increased likelihood, for many drivers, of distracting them and resulting in risks to the safety of other drivers on the road, and I will take issue with those who feel that their "rights" extend to the point where they cause increased risk to my safety.
Old 10-20-16, 08:41 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I have no issue whatever with the idea that people should have the "freedom" to make decisions for themselves regarding "safety vs. risk". However, I do have a problem with such "freedom" when the decisions that people make have the potential of risking the safety of other drivers on the road. A long-held principle related to freedoms and rights has been that our freedoms and rights extend only to the point where they have the potential of interfering with the rights and freedoms of others. Regardless of whether you are a "responsible guy", having the ability to watch video from the driver's seat comes with an increased likelihood, for many drivers, of distracting them and resulting in risks to the safety of other drivers on the road, and I will take issue with those who feel that their "rights" extend to the point where they cause increased risk to my safety.

Well said

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS Bypass For Constant Video Source