Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (es350 2014): 6 Steps To Change Canister Type Oil Filter

This is for my es350 2014. How to change the canister type oil filter:

Old 06-30-16, 06:35 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

A very well done presentation. When I change my oil I don't bother with the small filter cap or the drain hose. I remove the entire filter canister, drain it, replace the cartridge and "O" rings and spin it back on. No special tools required, just any filter wrench. Don't forget to drain the oil pan which was not shown here and I don't know how it would be done without raising the car...

Last edited by bc6152; 06-30-16 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 06:39 AM
notabot
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Helpful thanks! I still have a few free maintenance periods to go, but maybe in a couple of years...
Old 06-30-16, 08:38 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Torque values for those using a torque wrench
Attached Thumbnails (es350 2014): 6 Steps To Change Canister Type Oil Filter-torquevalues.png  
Old 06-30-16, 10:47 AM
fetv
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc6152
A very well done presentation. When I change my oil I don't bother with the small filter cap or the drain hose. I remove the entire filter canister, drain it, replace the cartridge and "O" rings and spin it back on. No special tools required, just any filter wrench. Don't forget to drain the oil pan which was not shown here and I don't know how it would be done without raising the car...
Thank you for your tip of not removing the filter cap. Very interesting simplified step since my previous dealer made the cap very tight. Are you saying you will not replace the small o-ring? Can any other experts here in this forum comment on your new way?

No, I did not forget the oil pan, you may have seen some tubes in the video. I am still editing my next video showing how I used oil extraction tube to drain the oil (next video will be released sometimes next week).
Old 06-30-16, 11:44 AM
fetv
Rookie

Originally Posted by notabot
Helpful thanks! I still have a few free maintenance periods to go, but maybe in a couple of years...
I remember the dealer promised a few free maintenance periods, however I only had one service at the dealer. I checked my paper work, the free maintenance was not mentioned. How do you know how many free times do you have?
Old 06-30-16, 12:02 PM
notabot
Driver School Candidate

I just bought mine as a CPO at the end of May. Part of the sale was 2 years or 4 scheduled maintenance intervals (whichever comes first). Luckily for me, the next scheduled maintenance interval (my first) will be the 30,000 mile service. I feel a little guilty since the previous owner (leaseholder) had the oil changed roughly every 5,000 miles. However, the dealership changed the oil when they did the CPO certification at around 23,000 miles.

Edit: To clarify, I believe I have 2 services of just tire rotations and also the 30,000 mile service and the 40,000 mile service.

Last edited by notabot; 06-30-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-30-16, 01:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fetv
Thank you for your tip of not removing the filter cap. Very interesting simplified step since my previous dealer made the cap very tight. Are you saying you will not replace the small o-ring? Can any other experts here in this forum comment on your new way?

No, I did not forget the oil pan, you may have seen some tubes in the video. I am still editing my next video showing how I used oil extraction tube to drain the oil (next video will be released sometimes next week).
If you do not remove the small drain cap then you don't have to replace the "O" ring. My car will be 4 years old in September and I've replaced the small "O" ring once, when I did the first oil change according to instructions. After, I realized that one did not have to remove the small cap and thus didn't have to replace the "O" ring either. I have never had a leak in almost 4 years. FYI - the Lexus technicians do not use the plastic insert and vinyl hose when they change your oil. They just spin off the whole canister and let it drain.
Old 06-30-16, 04:18 PM
fetv
Rookie

I just bought mine as a CPO at the end of May. Part of the sale was 2 years or 4 scheduled maintenance intervals (whichever comes first). Luckily for me, the next scheduled maintenance interval (my first) will be the 30,000 mile service. I feel a little guilty since the previous owner (leaseholder) had the oil changed roughly every 5,000 miles. However, the dealership changed the oil when they did the CPO certification at around 23,000 miles.

Edit: To clarify, I believe I have 2 services of just tire rotations and also the 30,000 mile service and the 40,000 mile service.
My car is a new one, my dealer simply verbally said a few free times, it is not written in the contract. So I am wondering if there is a industry standard for lexus, how many times a new car would receive free services. I only went once and it was free.
Old 06-30-16, 04:20 PM
fetv
Rookie

If you do not remove the small drain cap then you don't have to replace the "O" ring. My car will be 4 years old in September and I've replaced the small "O" ring once, when I did the first oil change according to instructions. After, I realized that one did not have to remove the small cap and thus didn't have to replace the "O" ring either. I have never had a leak in almost 4 years. FYI - the Lexus technicians do not use the plastic insert and vinyl hose when they change your oil. They just spin off the whole canister and let it drain.
I like your idea, and would like to know if other people here would agree.
I assume the plastic nipple would make the operation less messy, correct?
Old 06-30-16, 05:28 PM
notabot
Driver School Candidate

I believe the first two are free for a new Lexus.
Old 06-30-16, 06:04 PM
fetv
Rookie

I believe the first two are free for a new Lexus.
Did couple DIY already, I am wondering if I can go back to get my second free service.
Old 06-30-16, 06:06 PM
fetv
Rookie

Does the dealer replace the small o-ring every time?
Old 06-30-16, 07:00 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Does the dealer replace the small o-ring every time?
Ask your Service Manager.
Old 07-01-16, 04:14 AM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like your idea, and would like to know if other people here would agree.
I assume the plastic nipple would make the operation less messy, correct?
Yes, draining the filter housing via the drain plug makes things less messy. My filter drain plug was over-tightened by the last mechanic to service the filter - this was a Ford dealer from where the car was purchased. Instead of the drain plug loosening, the entire housing began to loosen when I changed the oil myself. Made quite a splash in the oil catch pan below, and I'm sure it would have been less "eventful" by first draining the housing. I'm sure Lexus have a big honkin' catch pan on wheels to drain the oil with the car on the lift, so they've no worries about splash should they remove the entire housing at once.

Quick Reply: (es350 2014): 6 Steps To Change Canister Type Oil Filter