ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Default Screen on start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 06:34 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Default Screen on start up

I have ES 350 2016 with navigation. When you start a car, the screen always defaults to navigation mode. You must press HOME button to get home screen. Is there any way to change the default, so it always starts with the home screen ?
Old 06-20-16, 06:23 PM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I've been trying to determine a solution to this too, but haven't found anything.
Old 06-21-16, 06:51 AM
gotcoffee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 2016 ES300H and it should be the same on the ES 350? Assuming it is, under general settings, you scroll down a little and under auto screen change, select off. Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (11-13-21)
Old 06-21-16, 07:33 AM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I just tried setting "auto screen change" to off, but it didn't change the behavior of going to the navigation screen when I turn on the car. I did look at the navigation system owner's manual, which describes the auto screen change setting as the following:

Select to set automatic screen changes from the audio/air conditioning control screen to the previous screen to on/off. When set to on, the screen will automatically return to the previous screen from the audio/air conditioning control screen after 20 seconds.

I think I need to study the manual a little more. There are still a few things about the ES 350 that I haven't figured out.
Old 06-21-16, 07:49 AM
gotcoffee
Driver School Candidate

After turning the auto screen change to off, did you switch back to another screen like the radio screen prior to turning off the car?
Old 06-21-16, 07:59 AM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

I switched to my home screen, which is split between radio, navigation, and weather.
Old 06-21-16, 08:04 AM
JimHand00
Driver School Candidate

Another interesting thing in the manual is that it says after the initial 5 second caution screen, that the screen automatically switches to the home screen. In my case, it always seems to go to the navigation screen instead of the screen I see when I press the "HOME" button.
Old 06-21-16, 08:25 AM
Talinder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimHand00
I switched to my home screen, which is split between radio, navigation, and weather.
This is the setup I have and want to see when I turn on the car as well. Although my weather is always incorrect as it pulls some podunk town almost an hour away. I live in the 3rd largest city in the state and can't see my local weather in a brand new Lexus. That's a whole other thread I guess.

Hopefully someone comes through with suggestions.
Old 06-21-16, 09:35 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Try the Technology Person at your dealer as they are paid to help you with these things. I feel your pain as some items are buried in the menus. I went through all the menus and settings to help familiarize myself with them.
Old 06-21-16, 06:55 PM
Talinder
Driver School Candidate

What does Auto Screen Change even mean? I tried it too and no dice. I don't live near a dealer so my services are limited.
Old 06-21-16, 07:05 PM
FmrAccord
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if it helps, but, when I'm out and about I keep the screen in my '16 ES350 on the Bluetooth part 100% of the time. I stream music via my phone for my tunes.

When I come back to the car, 99% of the time the Bluetooth screen is what pops up after the useless Navigation warning goes away.

From my experience, if I leave the screen on the home screen, which I have a 50/50 split between Bluetooth and Climate, turn off the car and come back, it will almost always default to full screen navigation.
Old 06-24-16, 09:09 AM
mss1234
Driver School Candidate

Default user interface issues

[QUOTE=gotcoffee;9527619]I have the 2016 ES300H and it should be the same on the ES 350? Assuming it is, under general settings, you scroll down a little and under auto screen change, select off. Hope that helps!

Auto Screen change doesn't help if you are on home screen, before turning car off. Next time you start, it goes to navigation screen. However, you are say on FM radio or Bluetooth screen before turning off, then it does come back to that screen on next start up.

Lexus needs to hire better user interface designer, may hire someone from Google or Apple!
There are several other user interface annoyances as well, for example to switch to FM radio, you may end up pressing radio button 3 to 4 times. Another one is Voice Command is pathetic, most of the time, it can't understand what we are requesting. Compare that to Google Now, or Apple Siri , Lexus Voice feature is very very poor. And to top it off, Lexus/Toyota is adamant about not supporting Android Auto, or Apple Car play.
Old 06-24-16, 11:25 AM
Eagleguy
Rookie

We have a family picture that the screen defaults to after start up. In our 2013 navigation system manual on pages 56 through 59 it tells you how to customize the start up image in our case a family picture until you hit menu and want to view other screens.
Old 06-24-16, 12:03 PM
fiddler1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Talinder
This is the setup I have and want to see when I turn on the car as well. Although my weather is always incorrect as it pulls some podunk town almost an hour away. I live in the 3rd largest city in the state and can't see my local weather in a brand new Lexus. That's a whole other thread I guess.

Hopefully someone comes through with suggestions.
i agree on the weather display. surely that aspect can be altered
Old 06-24-16, 12:20 PM
Talinder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fiddler1
i agree on the weather display. surely that aspect can be altered
Supposedly the weather is pulling from the HD radio so I'm not sure how to fix it. I can't even enter my city's location to get my weather. The first weekend we got the car we were just cruising around the area and I actually got my city to pop up in search results and selected it. However, the next time we started the car we were back to Hooterville. I try to recall my city's weather from the recently searched list and all I get is a spinning disc and then unavailable. I am limited to only viewing the weather for towns that are an hour+ away. The dealership is two hours away and while there the weather showed up accurately so I won't be able to recreate the issue.

In the meantime I've been playing with my home screen trying to make it the default to no avail. Following this thread hoping for a solution.

Quick Reply: Default Screen on start up