ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Sidetracked- Toyota Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 12:59 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I drove my car normally without trying to be a hyper-miler squeezing every last yard out of a gallon of gas, and I averaged 35 - 36 mpg throughout. A little less in winter with the fuel mix and more in the warmer months. Gas is not going to stay around $3 a gallon over the life of your ownership, but it will take several years to recoup the extra cost.

I drive into NYC every day (about 60 miles R/T) and fill up every two weeks. I love that about the car.
Old 06-20-16, 01:13 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

I purchased my ES300h in January 2013. My calculated average MPG for all fuel used is 36.0. 100% around town.
I traded in my 2006 RX300 to purchase this car. To date I have purchased $2,153.02 in gas. My RX got 18 mpg doing the same commute so I have saved $2,153.02 in gas cost so far compared to keeping my RX. I plan on keeping my ES for as long as it runs.
Old 06-20-16, 01:13 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice to hear. yeah if I go with lexus i'll be sticking with the ES350, but with prius i'll be going with a more economical car so gotta decide with the priorites are long term

Originally Posted by jonmanch
I drove my car normally without trying to be a hyper-miler squeezing every last yard out of a gallon of gas, and I averaged 35 - 36 mpg throughout. A little less in winter with the fuel mix and more in the warmer months. Gas is not going to stay around $3 a gallon over the life of your ownership, but it will take several years to recoup the extra cost.

I drive into NYC every day (about 60 miles R/T) and fill up every two weeks. I love that about the car.
Old 06-20-16, 02:12 PM
1HipNip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choosing between a 2016 ES or a 2016 Prius will all boil down to your personal preference. As I have stated, I currently have a 2015 ES350 as well as a 2011 Prius III.

I use my Prius primarily for business. I can take it anywhere in Southern California and not worry about parking it and people tripping on the "L" emblem. I visit clients from South Central Los Angeles to East LA to SGV to San Bernardino to Temecula. Is it exciting to drive? NO! Is it comfortable to drive for extended periods? NO! But it gets me from Point A to Point B, and I don't get the negative attention when I have to go to less desirable neighborhoods. There is a 5-year gap between my 2011 Prius and the new 2016 Prius. Have I checked out the new Prius models? No. Would I consider buying one right now? NO! The value is just not there. I should have bought a Corolla or a 4-banger Camry to use for my business (I was using a 2002 IS300 SportCross for the business prior to getting the Prius).

The ES350, on the other hand, is a large car; spacious, comfortable, quiet, excellent seats and engine response when needed. I currently have 5 vehicles at the moment, and the ES350 and the GX460 are the most comfortable vehicles of the 5.

Will you get more value for your money by buying an ES300h hybrid ? Will the money you save on gasoline be worth the extra premium you're going to pay for the ES300h hybrid? How many miles of driving will it take for you to be able to recover the premium you paid for an ES300h instead of getting an ES350? Only you can answer those questions.
Old 06-20-16, 02:26 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

We have an ES350 and a Prius V in the driveway.

Take a good look at the Prius V instead of the regular Prius. Quite a bit more room and versatability and the size of the back seat leg room is fantastic. Rear seats recline as well.

Great car. I am in Canada and here the V outsells the regular Prius, but I know in the US it is the other way around . Had it for 3 years and very cheap upkeep and nary a problem
Old 06-20-16, 02:30 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

I'll take a good look at all the great points everyone has taken the time to respond with, Thank you! I know you have to drive a lot of different cars to get the point where you can share the pros and cons and I appreciate all of you sharing that with me, thanks for the help
Old 06-20-16, 04:38 PM
Talinder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prosgal73 are you far away fro m the Lexus dealership or something? Just asking because a lot of your questions can only be answered by you driving the vehicles yourself. It's hard for people to tell you how to feel.

But it could be that, like me, you don't have a dealership nearby. I just had to make the time on a Saturday to go try the car for myself. No one could have described to me how the car would fit me personally in regards to size, blind spots, comfort, etc. Same with my husband. He would have gone with the IS, ES, or GS based on internet queries. But for both of us after sitting in the ES we knew it was the right choice for us. I was wanting a smaller car as well, but so far I haven't had any difficulty with the ES size. I mean a backup camera is standard and you can get park assist.
Old 06-20-16, 09:08 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Talinder I have test driven it but a bit big thus all the reservations but I think maybe going on a second test drive might be worthwhile with all the reservations I have. Great car but ease of driving isn't quite there since I've been used to much more compact cars but honestly I don't think it's worth it to get an IS 200t if the ES has all those safety features And seems to be more car for the money, I considered the 200t but everyone's steering me to ES so that's why I'm wavering....honestly hadn't considered the ES until recently. Thanks but yes it's something I have to figure out myself and be comfortable with

Originally Posted by Talinder
prosgal73 are you far away fro m the Lexus dealership or something? Just asking because a lot of your questions can only be answered by you driving the vehicles yourself. It's hard for people to tell you how to feel.

But it could be that, like me, you don't have a dealership nearby. I just had to make the time on a Saturday to go try the car for myself. No one could have described to me how the car would fit me personally in regards to size, blind spots, comfort, etc. Same with my husband. He would have gone with the IS, ES, or GS based on internet queries. But for both of us after sitting in the ES we knew it was the right choice for us. I was wanting a smaller car as well, but so far I haven't had any difficulty with the ES size. I mean a backup camera is standard and you can get park assist.
Old 06-21-16, 05:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Talinder I have test driven it but a bit big thus all the reservations but I think maybe going on a second test drive might be worthwhile with all the reservations I have. Great car but ease of driving isn't quite there since I've been used to much more compact cars but honestly I don't think it's worth it to get an IS 200t if the ES has all those safety features And seems to be more car for the money, I considered the 200t but everyone's steering me to ES so that's why I'm wavering....honestly hadn't considered the ES until recently. Thanks but yes it's something I have to figure out myself and be comfortable with
Have you looked at other brands/models? There are a lot of good alternatives that might appeal to you more.
Old 06-21-16, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Whether or not the ES is more car for the money than the IS is a matter of taste. The IS has a lot of handling prowess, better chassis, it's a RWD setup, it's a more dynamic car, sportier car. If those things are important to you the IS is the car that is more car for the money. They're just different.

People here are saying that because this is the ES forum. If you asked in the IS forum there would be plenty of people that would never even consider an ES.
Old 06-21-16, 12:29 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

True true, I think the 200T has worst gas mileage than the ES based on your input here though so that's what I'm also evaluating but yes handling would be compromised

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Whether or not the ES is more car for the money than the IS is a matter of taste. The IS has a lot of handling prowess, better chassis, it's a RWD setup, it's a more dynamic car, sportier car. If those things are important to you the IS is the car that is more car for the money. They're just different.

People here are saying that because this is the ES forum. If you asked in the IS forum there would be plenty of people that would never even consider an ES.
Old 06-21-16, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Fuel economy should be about the same, perhaps slightly better on the IS200t, difference is it requires premium fuel.
Old 06-21-16, 12:50 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

yes vs regular gas...pros and cons...probably will test drive the ES once more and then decide, thanks

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Fuel economy should be about the same, perhaps slightly better on the IS200t, difference is it requires premium fuel.
Old 06-21-16, 07:02 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
yes vs regular gas...pros and cons...probably will test drive the ES once more and then decide, thanks
I've driven my brother's 8 year old prius plus test driven the newer Praises. To me, the ES300h is a far superior car. No comparison in my mind. The Prius feels budget compared to the ES. Yes, the latest generation ES is probably not as nice decor and quality wise as it was 10 years ago in the last generation, but is nicer than a Prius. But of course...the price of an ES is higher....

If cost were an issue , I would still much rather get a couple year old ES (personally I would get a certified pre owned) than a new Prius
Comfort and quietness are important to me and the ES excels in these areas.