ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Purpose for ENFORM App

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 09:36 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Purpose for ENFORM App

What is the purpose of the ENFORM (smart phone) app? I downloaded the App a while ago on my iPhone so that I can access the "apps" through the car's screen.

I don't find Yelp, OpenTable, or Facebook as useful apps to be used in a car. It's kind of pointless to me.

The only thing I found useful is iHeartRadio and Pandora. BUT, I rather access these apps through my phone while it is connected to bluetooth to turn on the music. It's less cumbersome than to have to navigate through the car's screen.

Am I missing something? Is there more that I can do with the APP?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-16, 09:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I use Pandora extensively through it, but the benefit I like the most is the ability to send an address from my phone to the car before I head out.
Old 05-11-16, 09:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

I find using Slacker and Pandora via Enform, to be much more engaging than through BT. On the flipside, XM/Sirius sounds 10x better via BT, than using the antenna. It's much less compressed via the internet.
Old 05-11-16, 11:23 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

I use the destination search through voice all the time. It is much more up to date than the navigation system and understands commands better.
Old 05-11-16, 12:11 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I use the destination search through voice all the time. It is much more up to date than the navigation system and understands commands better.
+1 to that.

The Enform update that allows you to use Enform to search for and enter destinations transformed use of the ES navigation system from one that I considered to be quite cumbersome to one that is a pleasure to use. Not only does it make it easier to enter destinations with voice commands, including while the vehicle is moving, but it recognizes voice commands much better, and it comes up with destinations using a much more current data base than the data base on-vehicle in the navigation system.
Old 05-11-16, 12:26 PM
mrsteve7
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
+1 to that.

The Enform update that allows you to use Enform to search for and enter destinations transformed use of the ES navigation system from one that I considered to be quite cumbersome to one that is a pleasure to use. Not only does it make it easier to enter destinations with voice commands, including while the vehicle is moving, but it recognizes voice commands much better, and it comes up with destinations using a much more current data base than the data base on-vehicle in the navigation system.
I'm curious as to what gets "passed" by Enform to the native navigation system for the destination. Is this a coordinate? (i.e. longitude/latitude) Or an address, in which case it would need to be "known" to the native nav system. If coords, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for destinations it seems.
Old 05-11-16, 12:58 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrsteve7
I'm curious as to what gets "passed" by Enform to the native navigation system for the destination. Is this a coordinate? (i.e. longitude/latitude) Or an address, in which case it would need to be "known" to the native nav system. If coords, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for destinations it seems.
I'm not sure how the Enform app and the navigation system work together, but, when give a voice command to search for a destination, the app searches its data base and generates a list of possible places and their street addresses. When you select the one that you want, the app generates directions to that address and enters them into the navigation system. It can also be noted that the data base that it is using includes a good number of places that are not included in the data base of the car's navigation system.
Old 05-12-16, 07:34 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Does one have to have a paid up subscription to Lexus Enform to use the App? I let mine expire because it was kind of steep, I thought for a 911 emergency button. Can the app work even if one the free one year subscription is expired?
Old 05-13-16, 04:37 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zes
Does one have to have a paid up subscription to Lexus Enform to use the App? I let mine expire because it was kind of steep, I thought for a 911 emergency button. Can the app work even if one the free one year subscription is expired?
Using the Enform apps, including Pandora, Open Table, setting destinations, etc. is free and does not require a paid subscription. You need a paid subscription if you want Safety Connect or Destination Assist. Also, if your vehicle is equipped with one of the 2 remote start systems that works through a smart phone connection, you need to have a paid subscription.
Old 05-13-16, 05:14 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

There are a couple of subscriptions for the 2013 and 2014 and only one I know of for the 2015 that is a combination. At least that is the way I see it on lexusdrivers. You need an account if you do not have one, it is free, there you can find the options for each make and model. One feature that I value is the stolen car finder which should save you some money on your auto insurance like LoJack does. I also value the SOS feature and Police notification if the air bags deploy as seconds count if you are seriously hurt in an accident. Just my opinion. I also like the app for my 2015, Enform Remote. Lets me make sure the car is locked and other info and notifies me if it is left unlocked.

Last edited by jollick; 05-13-16 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 08:26 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks all. Guess I will have to play with Enform some more. It is a good idea to check if the find car feature reduces insurance premiums. In that case it pays for itself and the other benefits are free.
Old 05-15-16, 06:51 AM
neoflys
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the enfom app, but I need to open the app from iPhone every time to connect back. Is this how it's suppose to work? Do I need to open the app manually to establish the connection again?
Old 05-15-16, 10:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by neoflys
I like the enfom app, but I need to open the app from iPhone every time to connect back. Is this how it's suppose to work? Do I need to open the app manually to establish the connection again?
Don't need to do that on my Android.
Old 05-15-16, 11:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
Don't need to do that on my Android.
Likewise. With my Android phone, as long as the phone is turned on (and BlueTooth connection is enabled), I don't need to do anything else to get it to work with Enform.
Old 05-15-16, 02:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I just leave the Enform app running in the background on my iPhone and then it connects every time I start the car, without any further interaction. If I don't have the app running, I still get the full Bluetooth functionality, of course assuming the Bluetooth is enabled on the phone. So I can play music if I start Pandora on the phone, or place/receive phone calls. I just can't use the apps from the infotainment screen.

Bottom line: if the app isn't loaded in your phone's memory, you will not have Enform functionality with the car. If I understood your question, you don't already have it loaded on the phone when starting the car so there cannot be any interaction between the two. You don't need to "open" it, but you do need to have it running in the background on the phone. Please clarify if I am misunderstanding your scenario.

Quick Reply: Purpose for ENFORM App