ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Toyota Techstream OBD3

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 10:38 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Toyota Techstream OBD3

I purchased a cable and DVD from Amazon for Lexus OBD. The DVD wouldn't work and I found that they had sent me the wrong software. They told me to keep the 16 pin cable. So having cable in hand I went to look for applicable Techstream software for our cars. I did find the official Toyota download site but one requires a key to unlock the download. Also, every one I found states that the PC OS must be XP 32 bit. No Win 7 -8 - 10 or 64 bit machines.

Do any of you computer wizards have any advice for this? Does anyone have a link to a known good product to buy with the software? I already have the cable, just need the software but do not have an XP PC just Win 8.1 and Win 7.

It seems that most of the listings on Ebay and Amazon are Chinese companies using pirated software that sometimes works and sometimes don't. I already have Carista.
Old 05-06-16, 08:00 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I heard it from a friend of a friend who said she heard it from another friend...

It's possible to load Windows XP in a virtual machine using VirtualBox, so you can run 32 bit Windows under 64 bit Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. There's also a way to get Techstream working without too much hassle. Google's your pal.
Old 05-07-16, 05:59 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I purchased a cable and DVD from Amazon for Lexus OBD. The DVD wouldn't work and I found that they had sent me the wrong software. They told me to keep the 16 pin cable. So having cable in hand I went to look for applicable Techstream software for our cars. I did find the official Toyota download site but one requires a key to unlock the download. Also, every one I found states that the PC OS must be XP 32 bit. No Win 7 -8 - 10 or 64 bit machines.

Do any of you computer wizards have any advice for this? Does anyone have a link to a known good product to buy with the software? I already have the cable, just need the software but do not have an XP PC just Win 8.1 and Win 7.

It seems that most of the listings on Ebay and Amazon are Chinese companies using pirated software that sometimes works and sometimes don't. I already have Carista.

If you have the cable you can easily google to find the software and drivers to get the mini vci to work. It can work on windows 7 machines that are 32 bit and windows xp 32 bit no problem. If you don't have a 32bit machine you can download a virtual machine program and load windows xp or windows 7 32 bit and run it on your laptop. Basically you will run windows xp/7 32 bit on the windows 8/10 laptop. Also it is technically possible to run it on a 64bit computer but you have to be sorta tech savy to make it work. The way i connect it to the es350 is i have a windows 10 laptop with a virtual machine program that runs windows 7 32bit. The software works fine and connects to the car no problem.

Furthermore if you don't want to mess with any of that you can buy a mini vci that is compatible with windows 64bit but they cost ~$80.

Google is your friend or i could PM you and lead you in the right way.
Old 05-07-16, 06:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

[QQUOTE=chromedome;9476150]I heard it from a friend of a friend who said she heard it from another friend...

It's possible to load Windows XP in a virtual machine using VirtualBox, so you can run 32 bit Windows under 64 bit Windows 8.1 or Windows 10. There's also a way to get Techstream working without too much hassle. Google's your pal.[/QUOTE]

Was this also an REO Speedwagon reference?
Old 05-07-16, 07:24 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I heard it from a friend of a friend who said she heard it from another friend...
Never heard of a relationship like that before
Old 05-07-16, 09:50 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to work for a lexus dealer and now for a fleet car company and have access to TIS and techstream and i can say one thing is they just recently switched over to a more secured system for all their access and software. the techstream will work with window 8.1 as i have it on one of the work computers but it is not compatible with windows 10. you can go straight to drewtechnology who makes the mongoose dlc cables for toyota and you can download the install driver off the toyota website
Old 05-07-16, 10:13 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

REO Speedwagon? Haven't heard that band in ages. There's a way of getting all this working but it's a gray area
Old 05-10-16, 08:58 PM
wdtony
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found success but only after days of troubleshooting. Bought the TIS Techstream MVCI cable and software disc online for about 23 bucks. 5 versions of software were included, I found success with version 7.1......

Now can do all sorts of stuff and check the status of my RX330 2005 automobile.

Important to download the MVCI driver first, then download TIS software. Then setup properly. Have to bypass the network key by changing a value which, will try to post a link for here.

Bought a used laptop online with XP 32 bit. If you do this try to buy one with service pack 2 or 3 and hopefully will have an old version of Java version 6 update 7 or greater, On the laptop, the newest Java version isn't compatible and the one that is compatible for XP isn't made anymore, If you go to Java, you'll eventually be sent to Oracle where the archived downloads are. Not sure if necessary but mine wouldn't run without Java..

If you get the "Unable to connect to VIM" code, go to HELP and test the cable. It takes a few minutes but if you get all red, it's not working right. Was the way downloaded software in the wrong order. Live and learn.

If one driver/software version doesn't work, just keep trying all versions. Found success on the third attempt.

I found a pretty basic walkthrough here:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/3662490-post975.html

Techstream ABCs and 123s: Reference point for all new users

In the beginning, getting a personal working version of Techstream up and running was a tricky trial and error process. With more experience, some of the difficulties have been worked out. Fortunately for those just joining the group, it's easier now. But through the research process, you might not realize this. Here is the most basic start to finish setup process to save time and redundant Q&A exchanges.

_____First_____

Decide if you're installing this software on a 32 bit or 64 bit system. Some of the cables only have 32 bit drivers available, but tweaking the files to install them on 64 bit systems is possible if your abilities allow it. Depending on your confidence level and computer knowledge, your choice may already be made.

To find out if your computer is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, do the following:

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

Under System, you can view the system type.

If your computer is running Windows XP, do the following:

Click Start.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

If you don't see "x64 Edition" listed, then you're running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.

If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you're running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.

For the easier setup, go with a 32 bit windows system, a 64 bit system that you can run a 32 bit virtual machine on, or get one of the cables that have 64 bit drivers available. The simplest gig would be to find an old 32 bit XP laptop, or fork over another week's allowance for a Mongoose MFC so you can use Techstream on a 64 bit laptop easily. The descriptions for the cables and the available drivers for each is below. This decision will dictate which cable is best for you.

_____Second_____

Get yourself a cable. Getting Techstream won't do you any good without something to connect to a car. The cable you choose will set the stage for what extra work will be necessary to get the Techstream software functional.

Drew Technologies Mongoose Pro MFC - Most expensive, but most likely highest quality and best supported of all aftermarket cable options. It will be any cable looking like this that you can find by searching for Mongoose Toyota Techstream etc on eBay and Amazon. 32 and 64 bit driver downloads are available on the manufacturer's website as well as in my link later in this post making for easy setup on any computer.
https://i.imgur.com/AjAeb5C.jpg

Drew Technologies Mongoose MFC (not Mongoose Pro) - Originally used by dealerships for Techstream Lite, they range in price from $50ish to about as much as about $400-500 depending on who is selling it and how ignorant they are about the item they have. Under $100 is an awesome price for any original Mongoose MFC though. They're much more difficult to track down online because there aren't as many of them out there and they have been discontinued for a while. 32 and 64 bit driver downloads are still available on the manufacturer's website as well as in my link later in this post making for easy setup on any computer.
https://i.imgur.com/jQWGQkx.jpg

Chinese MVCI - Most commonly used in these forums. These cables all look mostly the same although the font on the sticker seems to switch between normal and italic depending on where it's made, but they all usually say the same stuff on the label (Mini-VCI J2534 Standard OBDII Interface). Tons of these from all over the place (mostly China/Hong Kong) can be found on eBay and Amazon by just searching for Techstream. The available driver for these cables requires 32 bit system only. To tweak the files for 64 bit installation, refer to this thread post: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html
If this is within your abilities, this is the most affordable cable and can be used on 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
https://i.imgur.com/dOf99Yw.jpg

XHorse MVCI - More affordable than the Mongoose products. The Chinese MVCI cable is a clone of the guts of this XHorse cable which is why their cables come with a disc with XHorse drivers.
https://i.imgur.com/RVBmDyz.jpg

All of these cables have been used by experienced DIY Techstream users and information for setting them up is readily available throughout this thread as well as in the instructions below.

_____Third_____

Now you need the software. Techstream software can be found all over the place, and there are many versions floating around in the various Techstream threads in different forums. The version updates are simply bug fixes and new model support. With bug fixes and version updates, new bugs arrive, so the biggest benefit to the newer versions is simply model support. The current latest version supports all models through 2014.

Here (hopefully) is a consolidated source for the software as well as simple setup instructions and common cable drivers:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/roz41hj65c94xlu/VDug_JV5NJ

If this link doesn't work, the availability of Techstream software is still pretty good. The sources for downloading it change, drop, respawn elsewhere and so on and so forth. You no longer need the patch files, TISKEY files or anything else to activate the software. Just follow the instructions below. Digging through the forum threads for links to download is the best start for the software if you can't get it here.

_____Fourth_____

Put it all together. This is information from the dropbox file available above but included here as a clean walk through.

Setup Instructions for 32 bit MVCI, 32 bit XHORSE, and 32 or 64 bit Mongoose
Please make sure your windows system is 32bit(Windows xp or 7) or that you have a Mongoose cable in which case you'll have the 32 or 64 bit driver for your cable as needed and these instructions will work fine, or refer here: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...-8-64-bit.html for 64 bit MVCI/XHORSE cable installation instructions.

step1. install "TIS_Techstream_Setup.exe"

step2. After the installation, don't run the Techstream software.

2.1 Install the cable driver for whichever cable you're using such as MVCI (xhorse) driver or Mongoose cable driver.
2.2 If you ran the MVCI driver, this step will probably not be necessary, but other cable drivers may require you to change Techstream Function value. Now is the time to check the function setting by following these instructions:

To activate any version of techstream, install whichever techstream .exe you choose, then open My Computer, C: Program files\Toyota Diagnostics \Techstream\Env

open IT3System.ini file and scroll down to

AVAILABLE FUNCTION SETTING

Switch TISFunction=1 to TISFunction=0

Click File, and Save.

step3. Now run the Techstream software. Again in this case, the MVCI driver may bypass this, or if you opened Techstream before installing those drivers, these fields may show up. If they do:
3.1 Select any region.
3.2 Select the language you want,
3.3 Put anything you want in the registration fields then OK.

step4. Interface Select
4.1 Click the [Setup] menu, then click the [VIM Select], then select the cable you're using in the drop down list of "Interface Setup", then Click [OK]

_____Fifth_____

Techstream? What is it good for?

This software is used by the dealers to communicate directly with the on-board computers in all 1996-present Toyota, Scion, and Lexus models.

Start by connecting to the vehicle. Turn your ignition key ON and click the Connect to Vehicle button at the left. Various fields may be required at the first connection prompt. TMMK product (Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky) can be found on the inside of the door jamb if this applies. VSC or w/o VSC, Smark Key or w/o Smart Key, and Laser cruise or w/o Laser Cruise are some of the most common options asked for in this first menu. For newer models, the majority of these fields auto-populate, but for some older models, you may need to manually select all information for the vehicle you're connecting to.

Once connected, you'll see a window displaying all of the ECUs your vehicle has. Most didn't realize their car had this many computers. All of these ECUs are expensive, so now you know exactly which parts some of those monthly car payments are paying for. The legend describes the status of each ECU. Yellow for all unknown ECU status, White means communication with ECU is normal, White with asterisk means the software either isn't connecting properly to this particular ECU, or your car doesn't have this ECU but it was included in the list like many generic ECUs are.

From the start, they will all show up yellow because you haven't actually connected specifically to any of them yet. Running a health check (blue button near the left edge) will actually force the software to dig through each ECU one by one to check for stored information such as diagnostic trouble codes. You will probably wait a minute or two for this depending on how many ECUs your vehicle has. Having the vehicle running usually makes the health check more complete. The health check report will display a new window with the ECUs found and give you any Diagnostic Trouble Codes stored in each one. You can now click System Select near the top left tab to go back to the display of all ECUs and their status.

Each ECU controls a particular part of the car whether it be the engine, the anti theft, or the tire pressure monitor system TPMS. Double clicking any ECU or clicking once and clicking the green arrow at the lower right will take you to the list of DTCs for that ECU. Hopefully you'll have none. Pending or Current codes are current problems. Pending means it has identified a problem, but the system may be set up to wait until it sees it again to confirm it is a problem that you should be made aware of by storing it as Current and turning the Check Engine Light or Message Indicator Light MIL on.

You can also enter most ECUs and check the Utility button to the left of the screen. You may find individual customization options within each that you wish to change. If you aren't sure what it is, it's best to leave it alone.

Techstream is capable of far far more than these simple things, but for first time use, those simple tasks will at least get you more familiar with the software and how to navigate it.
The following users liked this post:
BigMau (01-03-18)
Old 05-21-16, 02:20 PM
oldkystude
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Best overview I've seen, and the most current!

My "car" computer is an old emachine laptop running 32 bit XP so no problems there. I got one of the chinese clones from amazon. The tech stream software was in a wizard and installed on my c drive normally. its version 10-10-018. but the cd did not contain a wizard to install the driver and it would not recognize the adapter so I assume it was a driver issue.

short version of a long driver story is i found the xhorse driver on a chinese site, downloaded, it was packaged in a wizard and i finally got connected to my 2004 430LS/UL. Got to all the tech stream screens ok, using either the NA or EU versions setting up. (did the function 1 to function 0 thing first). All good except it will not connect to any ECU not on the POWERTRAIN list. All the engine stuff seems fine and since my radar cruise (Not a typo, its radar)is on the powertrain page i have options to program the aiming.

I need the other stuff besides powertrain, specifically the air suspension test which is the only reason I'm enduring this tech headache. it seems that any ECU on the CAN bus is not coming up. I did the Communication Bus Check and got the error message S604-04 saying "There is no system found on the communication bus"

So the amazon reviews speak of people buying 3 of these things to get a good one, bad solder joints they fix, and the software loading problems. I may have all of the above or I'm just an idiot, but i am a very persistent idiot.

I just bought another one off ebay that looks the same but sold out of east coast usa. It arrives tuesday. Before I send this one back for refund are there any other ideas I could try?
Old 05-21-16, 03:31 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Originally Posted by oldkystude

My "car" computer is an old emachine laptop running 32 bit XP so no problems there. I got one of the chinese clones from amazon. The tech stream software was in a wizard and installed on my c drive normally. its version 10-10-018. but the cd did not contain a wizard to install the driver and it would not recognize the adapter so I assume it was a driver issue.

short version of a long driver story is i found the xhorse driver on a chinese site, downloaded, it was packaged in a wizard and i finally got connected to my 2004 430LS/UL. Got to all the tech stream screens ok, using either the NA or EU versions setting up. (did the function 1 to function 0 thing first). All good except it will not connect to any ECU not on the POWERTRAIN list. All the engine stuff seems fine and since my radar cruise (Not a typo, its radar)is on the powertrain page i have options to program the aiming.

I need the other stuff besides powertrain, specifically the air suspension test which is the only reason I'm enduring this tech headache. it seems that any ECU on the CAN bus is not coming up. I did the Communication Bus Check and got the error message S604-04 saying "There is no system found on the communication bus"

So the amazon reviews speak of people buying 3 of these things to get a good one, bad solder joints they fix, and the software loading problems. I may have all of the above or I'm just an idiot, but i am a very persistent idiot.

I just bought another one off ebay that looks the same but sold out of east coast usa. It arrives tuesday. Before I send this one back for refund are there any other ideas I could try?
On techstream go to Help then click on DLC3 cable check. It will start showing green/red boxes on which features your cable supports. On older models such as your 2004 i believe you need k-line support. Their are different versions of mini vci. The "best" knock off to get is one with firmware v2.0.4. I think you are missing k-line support so that is why you are not getting all ecu's. I recommend getting a good clone of ebay for $60 if you really need to mess with all car features.
Old 05-21-16, 03:52 PM
wdtony
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldkystude

The only input I have is that it took trying 3 versions of drivers and software until mine worked. I'm not sure why. But I tried the 10 version the 9 version and then finally the 7 version worked. It's worth a try using another version besides 10.10.018 if you received 5 versions like I did with the CD. I am a novice with this so someone else might be able to explain the differences between the software versions.
Old 05-28-16, 08:45 AM
oldkystude
Driver

I found my problem! I opened up the mini adapter and found this.

See it?

R12 was never soldered on one end!
Old 05-28-16, 08:53 AM
oldkystude
Driver

So I sent this one back to Amazon and spun the big Amazon vendor wheel to select a different source. I stuck with USA shippers. The next one I got looked identical externally but had a totally different circuit board. (Sorry, no photos). In one area of the board it did say "ver2". I take that as being version 2. Using the same software I connected to my air suspension ecu normally. I assume I could connect to the others on the CAN bus now but did not try. My problems are only with the air suspension so I'll move my discussion to that area.

Thanks for your hard work helping others with techstream! I hope this helps someone also but I have no idea how to get a good adapter. Just stick with USA shippers to reduce your shipping time till you get one that works.
Old 07-27-16, 03:55 PM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I just got a Mini VC1 on amazon. Only one driver and software came with it. It installed perfectly on my old XP laptop. When I hooked it up to my 2016 RX 350, it did not acknowledge the vehicle, and I couldn't get any live readings/ settings ect. When I hooked it up to my wife's 2013 RAV4, it worked perfectly. I have no idea what's wrong unless Lexus changed something with the 16's so the old software doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to grab TPMS sensor ID#"s...
Old 07-27-16, 06:32 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Originally Posted by DenverRx
I just got a Mini VC1 on amazon. Only one driver and software came with it. It installed perfectly on my old XP laptop. When I hooked it up to my 2016 RX 350, it did not acknowledge the vehicle, and I couldn't get any live readings/ settings ect. When I hooked it up to my wife's 2013 RAV4, it worked perfectly. I have no idea what's wrong unless Lexus changed something with the 16's so the old software doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to grab TPMS sensor ID#"s...
Most likely you have an old version of techstream software. What version did the cd come with?

Quick Reply: Toyota Techstream OBD3