ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

sealed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-17, 07:02 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
I have been driving cars for over 40 years. Zero transmission failures in all those years and zero transmission repairs.

Did I change fluids religiously? No (except on manual transmission cars).

I really feel some of you are seriously overdoing it with this 20K miles transmission fluid change. Even in the old days under severe conditions, they did not recommend that.
And I've been driving cars for over 50 years without any tranny issues. Dodges, Ramblers, Fords, Mitsubishis, Hondas, and never an issue and never an auto trans fluid or filter change. I agree Maikerusan that this is pure hype and overkill. The only trans oil I ever changed was on my 1931 Ford with 800W oil. I'm doing what Lexus recommends and have faith that the car will run just fine... No trans fluid changes on my car...
The following users liked this post:
jollick (01-01-18)
Old 12-30-17, 04:36 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
And I've been driving cars for over 50 years without any tranny issues. Dodges, Ramblers, Fords, Mitsubishis, Hondas, and never an issue and never an auto trans fluid or filter change. I agree Maikerusan that this is pure hype and overkill. The only trans oil I ever changed was on my 1931 Ford with 800W oil. I'm doing what Lexus recommends and have faith that the car will run just fine... No trans fluid changes on my car...
Wishing you good luck.....
Old 12-30-17, 07:34 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by hisstojay
Wishing you good luck.....
From what I've seen on the forums, you're the one that may need the luck. Changing your tranny fluid when it's not a recommended service, will void your transmission warranty. So, good luck!
Old 12-30-17, 02:22 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

X3... I drove a 1992 Corolla to 485,000 kms (aprox 300,000 miles) with no tranny problems and color was still quite pink when I sold the car. No sign of oxidation either. Same for my wife's 2000 Camry xle v6. It only has 150,000 kms (90,000 miles) no problems of any kind other than a wiring short.
I`m 73 now, retired and I don`t have to drive to earn a living anymore. Your not going to catch me wasting my time and MONEY changing oil in my new Lexus when its not required. Anybody with expired warranty are free to spend their money as they choose. I notice that Camlex`s refill kits are gathering dust.... Hmmmm
Old 12-30-17, 04:31 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for your comments. I once knew the owner of a GM car dealership and even he admitted that tranny fluid changes were not required and were nothing but a cash grab....now if a GM guy can say that (considering the quality of some of their transmissions), it speaks volumes.

Do these posters suggesting constant tranny fluid changes on a Lexus really think that Lexus would deliberately sully their well earned reputation for quality...if the fluid changes really were needed, you would be darn sure they would build the cars that way with the ability to easily change the fluid and make it a recommended procedure...but they don't.
Old 12-30-17, 04:37 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for your comments. I once knew the owner of a GM car dealership and even he admitted that tranny fluid changes were not required and were nothing but a cash grab....now if a GM guy can say that (considering the quality of some of their transmissions), it speaks volumes.

Do these posters suggesting constant tranny fluid changes on a Lexus really think that Lexus would deliberately sully their well earned reputation for quality...if the fluid changes really were needed, you would be darn sure they would build the cars that way with the ability to easily change the fluid and make it a recommended procedure...but they don't.
Perhaps I speak completely out of place here but do you think there is possibility that Lexus is pursuing a strategy that when the transmission goes out which most likely will occur after all powertrain warranty runs out 50% will buy a new lexus transmission and 50% will buy a new lexus?
i have changed the tr fluid 4 times on my 02 highlander and it has improved shifting hesitations...the truck is a 225k miles and shifts well
Old 12-30-17, 05:36 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by heidihidin
Perhaps I speak completely out of place here but do you think there is possibility that Lexus is pursuing a strategy that when the transmission goes out which most likely will occur after all powertrain warranty runs out 50% will buy a new lexus transmission and 50% will buy a new lexus?
i have changed the tr fluid 4 times on my 02 highlander and it has improved shifting hesitations...the truck is a 225k miles and shifts well
I think you are confusing Lexus and Chrysler.

Lexus is not in the business of shafting their clients by having failures occur outside of warranty. It goes against the whole ethos of the company and in fact of the Japanese system of manufacturing.
Old 12-30-17, 06:53 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The 6 speed automatics run hotter (180-195 degrees vs 145-175) hence oxidize the transmission fluid faster than the 3 and 4 speed Toyota automatics of decades past, hence need more fluid changes in order to last as long. The 6 speeds also generate more wear debris (they require 4 magnets in the pan and a large paper element filter vs. 2 magnets and a coarser metal filter screen for the older 3 and 4 speeds). The fluid itself of the 6 speeds (WS fluid) is much thinner (lower viscosity) than the Dexron II, III and Type T-IV fluids used in the 3 and 4 speeds, hence probably does not prevent wear as well, which could, in part, explain why the 6 speeds need more magnets to trap steel gear wear debris and a larger, more efficient fluid filter to trap the non-magnetic wear debris.
Old 12-30-17, 07:37 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by gemigniani
The 6 speed automatics run hotter (180-195 degrees vs 145-175) hence oxidize the transmission fluid faster than the 3 and 4 speed Toyota automatics of decades past, hence need more fluid changes in order to last as long..
So, again, if that is the case why does Lexus themselves say no fluid changes are needed?
Old 12-30-17, 10:30 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
The 6 speed automatics run hotter (180-195 degrees vs 145-175) hence oxidize the transmission fluid faster than the 3 and 4 speed Toyota automatics of decades past, hence need more fluid changes in order to last as long. The 6 speeds also generate more wear debris (they require 4 magnets in the pan and a large paper element filter vs. 2 magnets and a coarser metal filter screen for the older 3 and 4 speeds). The fluid itself of the 6 speeds (WS fluid) is much thinner (lower viscosity) than the Dexron II, III and Type T-IV fluids used in the 3 and 4 speeds, hence probably does not prevent wear as well, which could, in part, explain why the 6 speeds need more magnets to trap steel gear wear debris and a larger, more efficient fluid filter to trap the non-magnetic wear debris.
Yes automatic transmissions on newer cars tend to run a bit hotter than decades past but the oil does not oxidize quicker. One of the reasons is that the newer ones run on WS fluid which is engineered to retard oxidation.Another reason is that you need oxygen to oxidize a fluid.These transmissions are sealed. No chance of much oxygen getting in there to cause oxidation. I would like to think that the engineers at Toyota Ford Chrysler and Gm to name a few who recommend Ws Fluid in their sealed transmissions did their homework. Lexus has been using this trans since 2007 I believe, and I haven't heard of a recall to replace it..WS fluid approved specs have been out since 2005.
Old 12-31-17, 06:29 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I think you are confusing Lexus and Chrysler.

Lexus is not in the business of shafting their clients by having failures occur outside of warranty. It goes against the whole ethos of the company and in fact of the Japanese system of manufacturing.
+ 1. The thought of Lexus deliberately planning obsolescence in a major component boggles the mind... Indeed not in the mindset of a Japanese company.
Old 12-31-17, 11:58 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tetguy
These transmissions are sealed. No chance of much oxygen getting in there to cause oxidation.
ES fluid change interval recommendations actually remained the same when the company adopted so called "sealed" (dipstickless) transmissions. Proof: the 2018 ES350 and 2003 ES300 maintenance guides BOTH specify "replace transmission fluid" at 60,000 miles if the car is operated under conditions that cause the fluid to heat up more than usual. The 2003 ES300 was dipstick equipped.
Old 12-31-17, 03:15 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

What about the CVT in the 300h?
Old 12-31-17, 04:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

But few of the drivers of Lexus cars on this forum would qualify under the "special conditions" such as police cars and taxis...
Old 01-01-18, 11:15 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
What about the CVT in the 300h?
I just looked at the 2013 ES300h service intervals and all mileage just states to check for leaks only. No recommended changes.

Quick Reply: sealed transmission