ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

sealed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 05:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

I hope that everybody is writing this down as there will be a quiz later on...
Old 12-04-17, 09:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

From 1 CL member to another..... really appreciate the additional post info, and usefulness. I'm sure you have had help here on the forum yourself before, and are just adding to a returning with the above info. Thanks.
Old 12-06-17, 09:53 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Although this was for my IS I think this thread has helped quite a few people on this forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
Old 12-06-17, 11:50 AM
Sammytime
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny wine es 350

Originally Posted by jgscott
Been reading this thread and others about the no fluid change. Im going to be changing mine as soon as I completely figure out the procedure and temperature and am sure of what to do.

A Lexus Service manager vs dirty transmission fluid?

The Dirty fluid changing to new Wins in my car. I will be draining it soon, and am trying to figure if I can disconnect at the Transmission cooler line to drain even more. I'm also trying to see what's up with the filter, if there is one, Ill be cleaning it if its a metal screen, or replacing it if other, and not a tear down to get to. Ill also do the drain and fill about 4 times, in 1 to 2 week period to get it all out of there. Then maybe once every 2 oil changes after that.

I would think that if you are not keeping the car past 100k, no need to bother, but....... if keeping the car it needs to done, Lexus Service Manager or not.

Also does anybody else's ES350 Whine a little? Mine does, think its the Trans but not sure. It shifts fine tho. Heard others say theirs does, and it stopped after 1 drain and fill, but came back later. I'm thinking needed more 3 quart drain and fills. I'm also going to refill with the Amsoil Full Synthetic Transmission fluid for Toyotas. My car is a 2013 ES350 UL with 66k miles on it.
2014 ES 350. Just at dealer for tranny wine. Shop foreman states their is a noise and put in a tag to lexus. They came back with typical of vehicle. This is BS. There are issues with the six speed and Lexus Corporate does not want to address it. Time for a class action suit....
Old 12-06-17, 11:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

I've not heard nor have I seen numerous posts on this forum regarding malfunctioning 6 speed transmissions in the 6th. generation Lexus Executive Sedan... Not saying that every one that comes out of the factory is perfect, but class action? I don't think so...

Last edited by bc6152; 12-06-17 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-06-17, 06:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 355F1
Although this was for my IS I think this thread has helped quite a few people on this forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
I would not do a flush on a 100k car that never had one before. Almost a guaranteed transmission problem later down the road IMO.

If the Avalon and ES350 have the same Tranny, there are Toyota Dealers who have seen problems. I checked the Carfax on a 2013 ES350 with 91k, that had a Lexus Tranny flush due to customer complaints about it, and the Tranny went out.

And thanks for the link, but does the IS250 AWD have the same Tranny as the ES350?
Old 12-06-17, 06:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sammytime
2014 ES 350. Just at dealer for tranny wine. Shop foreman states their is a noise and put in a tag to lexus. They came back with typical of vehicle. This is BS. There are issues with the six speed and Lexus Corporate does not want to address it. Time for a class action suit....
Thanks I was wondering if I was the only one to have the slight whine.

Ask the Dealer to drive a new one with you, see if the same whine is there, if not?
Old 12-07-17, 03:39 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would not do a flush on a 100k car that never had one before. Almost a guaranteed transmission problem later down the road IMO.

If the Avalon and ES350 have the same Tranny, there are Toyota Dealers who have seen problems. I checked the Carfax on a 2013 ES350 with 91k, that had a Lexus Tranny flush due to customer complaints about it, and the Tranny went out.

And thanks for the link, but does the IS250 AWD have the same Tranny as the ES350?
My local Lexus Service Manager confirms what you posted. I asked him about a change and he said will cause more harm than good. Refused to take my $$$$.
Old 12-07-17, 04:58 AM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, you should maintain regularly by 15/20K interval.
Second not flush with chemical cleaning, that will kill your transmission since you never changed fluid.
Old 12-07-17, 07:37 AM
Sammytime
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bc6152
I've not heard nor have I seen numerous posts on this forum regarding malfunctioning 6 speed transmissions in the 6th. generation Lexus Executive Sedan... Not saying that every one that comes out of the factory is perfect, but class action? I don't think so...
if it is mechanical it is subject to failure. Just because it is a Lexus does not mean it is infallible. Throughout my years of selling to Repair shops I have seen a lot of strange things and this is no different. Anytime a dealer says it is typical to the vehicle (all of the 2014 ES 350 6 speeds) means they do not have an answer and are not ready to deal with a re-call. When the shop foreman says there is a problem in the transmission, I tend to believe him. Dealers cannot fore Lexus to reimburse them for a repair. In this case with a transmission wine Lexus does not want to handle the cost of issuing a recall. I test drove two other 2014 at another dealer and neither made the noise. Lexus needs to accept they have an issue and fix it!!!!!
Old 12-29-17, 01:05 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Out of curiosity, I checked the transmission fluid on a 2016 Camry 6-speed automatic with 31,243 miles I rented recently. As the photo shows below, the fluid really darkened after that modest amount of mileage and also smelled moderately oxidized. This is a faster rate of deterioration than I ever witnessed with the 3 and 4 speed Toyota automatics of the 1980's - 2000's:
Old 12-29-17, 03:59 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammytime
if it is mechanical it is subject to failure. Just because it is a Lexus does not mean it is infallible......
Sammytime, I agree totally and 100% with you... Anything mechanical tends to fail at one point in time or other. The more REASON I SUPPORT giving your tranny a fresh ATF as frequent and regular as possible. Machines tend to wear and fail..... Thanks Sammy

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Out of curiosity, I checked the transmission fluid on a 2016 Camry 6-speed automatic with 31,243 miles I rented recently. As the photo shows below, the fluid really darkened after that modest amount of mileage and also smelled moderately oxidized. This is a faster rate of deterioration than I ever witnessed with the 3 and 4 speed Toyota automatics of the 1980's - 2000's:
Thanks for having the courage to share this; I hope folks who believe in the "forever fluid" will think twice about it - frequent drains and fills would not harm!!!!
Old 12-29-17, 04:52 AM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

now I am sure you know why I bought and set up easy drain and refill kit for every 20K. 35 year with different Toyota transmissions, I never had a single failure.
I drive a lot and hard. changing fluid is very cheap insurance.

Last edited by camlex; 12-29-17 at 06:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (12-29-17)
Old 12-29-17, 09:14 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by camlex
now I am sure you know why I bought and set up easy drain and refill kit for every 20K. 35 year with different Toyota transmissions, I never had a single failure.
I drive a lot and hard. changing fluid is very cheap insurance.
Camlex, you're RIGHT - A very cheap insurance (if you have to compare the cost of tranny failure/replacement). A wise decision is drain and refill !!!!
Old 12-29-17, 06:28 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been driving cars for over 40 years. Zero transmission failures in all those years and zero transmission repairs.

Did I change fluids religiously? No (except on manual transmission cars).

I really feel some of you are seriously overdoing it with this 20K miles transmission fluid change. Even in the old days under severe conditions, they did not recommend that.

Quick Reply: sealed transmission