ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2014 ES350 Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 07:40 PM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 ES350 Leather Care

I just picked up a used ES350. The leather is in perfect condition. My car came with heated/AC seats which IMO has softer leather than those without the heater/AC. I guess it feels softer because of the perforation. What cleaners/conditioners should I use to keep the leather looking new?
Old 03-05-16, 07:14 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I like this product. Has great reviews, and no greasy feeling.

Weiman Leather Wipes, 30 ct: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food Weiman Leather Wipes, 30 ct: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
[/QUOTE]
Old 03-14-16, 09:24 AM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

zymol leather conditioner, by far the best leather conditioner, expensive but worth it.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-care...FQiqaQodcUIPYA
Old 03-21-16, 02:15 PM
mannym
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used zymol and agree it is great, however some lexus models use NuLuxe, the vinyl that looks like leather. is zymol good for this type of material as well?
Old 09-08-16, 04:19 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

How often do you apply it?
I have the Lux package leather. Have read the posts about how this leather seems of lower quality than in decades past, so I want to do whatever I can to preserve its comfort and durability.

Originally Posted by sapd911
zymol leather conditioner, by far the best leather conditioner, expensive but worth it.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-care...FQiqaQodcUIPYA
Old 09-09-16, 03:59 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

Zaino leather cleaner followed by leather in a bottle. Cleans protects and keeps the leather smelling like new.
Old 09-09-16, 10:14 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Don't waste your money on leather conditioners. The leather in our cars is coated to protect it. No conditioner can penetrate that coating. So, although it might make you feel better, it does nothing but sit on the surface until you wipe it off. Believe me, I've tried them all (Zaino, Lexol, Leatherique, and several others I can't remember). The best thing you can do for your leather is to vacuum it, then take a damp cloth and gently remove any dirt on the surface. Do this monthly. Also, be careful how you enter and exit the driver's seat. The bottom seat side bolsters usually get the most wear and tear because of regular abrasion from sliding in and out of the vehicle. Also, try to keep your leather seats out of the sun, if possible. This type of maintenance is all you need. However, I do use Leather Masters leather protectant. I find this provides an additional barrier on the surface that protects against dye transfer from blue jeans.
Old 09-09-16, 10:49 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

thanks - this is where it is interesting that there is such divergence of opinions!

I didnt do much with my 05 ES' leather and it held up pretty well. Felt a bit tougher and dry after 10 years but still was in good shape without doing anything specific than cleaning with water, and being kind to it. (same thing with my coach leather bag actually)
But as per the posts, its seems that the current generation ES leather is not as great as in decades past so I worry about its longevity.

Originally Posted by MDames2
Don't waste your money on leather conditioners. The leather in our cars is coated to protect it. No conditioner can penetrate that coating. So, although it might make you feel better, it does nothing but sit on the surface until you wipe it off. Believe me, I've tried them all (Zaino, Lexol, Leatherique, and several others I can't remember). The best thing you can do for your leather is to vacuum it, then take a damp cloth and gently remove any dirt on the surface. Do this monthly. Also, be careful how you enter and exit the driver's seat. The bottom seat side bolsters usually get the most wear and tear because of regular abrasion from sliding in and out of the vehicle. Also, try to keep your leather seats out of the sun, if possible. This type of maintenance is all you need. However, I do use Leather Masters leather protectant. I find this provides an additional barrier on the surface that protects against dye transfer from blue jeans.
Old 09-09-16, 11:16 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the leather isn't as it was before, and the perforated vented leather makes them even weaker, imo.
Old 09-09-16, 11:37 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

not intending to be argumentative - but just thinking out loud:

Since the leather is perforated, I assume the leather in each hole is not coated, so if one put on a liquid conditioner that got in the holes, would it moisturize the leather?
The risk then is, if you use too much, you gum up the holes and decrease effectiveness of the ventilation!

Originally Posted by MDames2
Old 09-09-16, 11:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had perforated leather on my two Lexus and never gave them any special car other than occasional wipe down with a slightly damp cloth or some kind of cleaner/conditioner. In both cars the leather held up great and looked like new. One was tan and the other a light gray. It's more durable than you'd think.
Old 09-09-16, 12:57 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Boston: even with the holes in the perforated leather, the entire surface IS coated. Putting conditioner into the holes will not cause it to absorb into the rest of the leather. It won't hurt your leather to put conditioner on it. It just isn't going to help it either. The key is to REGULARLY clean it, keep it out of the sun as much as possible, and try not to slide across the surface too much. If you follow this, your leather should wear well. But remember, leather is an organic product. It will eventually degrade with age. This cannot be avoided. But you can delay the process and make it look nice longer with consistent maintenance. For more information on Lexus leather care I recommend you go to the AUTOMOTIVE CARE & DETAILING forum here on Club Lexus. There is a sticky at the top of this section entitled "All About Lexus Leather". It is very informative.

Last edited by MDames2; 09-09-16 at 01:01 PM.