ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

6th Gen vs 5th Gen: soft/comfortable ride?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 09:24 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 6th Gen vs 5th Gen: soft/comfortable ride?

Its about time for me to upgrade my 4th Gen (2005) ES 330. I'm going to go with another ES, I think (the other possibility would be going to a GS)

Most important to me in a car is comfort and the traditional, time honored soft/plush lexus ride. I've been reading multiple reviews indicating that the 6th Generation has a firmer ride than prior generations. So I'm almost tempted to get a pre-owned 5th generation 2012 model just to get the soft ride, although it seems silly to get a 4 year old car just for that reason. Is the ride really that different with the 6th generation? It is hard to tell on short test drives but the 6th Generation does seem firmer. Haven't encountered any major bumpy roads on test drives so far though, to really test it out.

-Boston Snowboarder
Old 02-23-16, 05:03 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

If a soft ride is your priority, forget the GS. My experience with the older gen ES's is that they are almost floaty feeling, which I do not prefer. I have a 2013 with 18" wheels, so it's the firmest you'll get in an ES. If I were you, I would only test drive the 6th gen with 17" wheels and try and avoid ones with Bridgestone tires.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-16, 06:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,230 Likes on 863 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike728
If a soft ride is your priority, forget the GS. My experience with the older gen ES's is that they are almost floaty feeling, which I do not prefer. I have a 2013 with 18" wheels, so it's the firmest you'll get in an ES. If I were you, I would only test drive the 6th gen with 17" wheels and try and avoid ones with Bridgestone tires.

Good luck!
totally agree...
Old 02-23-16, 06:11 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Before buying my 2013 ES, I had a 2006 ES. I would have been pretty hard pressed to notice significant ride quality differences between the Generation 4 ES and the Generation 6 ES, other than noticing that the 2013 ES has somewhat more precise handling.

I think that ride quality differences are perceived by some for a couple of reasons. One is that ES vehicles with 18 inch wheels will have a noticeably firmer ride than those with 17 inch wheels, and, as Mike points out, there will be differences depending on the tires installed on the vehicle. Also, it should be noted that the recommended tire pressure for the Generation 4 ES was 29 psi. The recommended tire pressure for the Generation 6 ES is 33 psi. I'm confident that, if I lowered the tire pressure on my 2013 ES to 29 psi, its ride would by as soft or possibly softer than the ride on the 2006 ES that I used to own.
Old 02-23-16, 08:28 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a '14 with the 18" wheels. I had a service loaner that was a '16 and it rode much smoother. I checked and it had 17" wheels. I tried a '16 with the 18" wheels and it rides just like my car. The 17" wheels and Michelin tires seem to be the ticket for the softest and quietest ride on the ES.
Steve
Old 02-23-16, 09:28 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I think there is a huge difference between the 6th and the 4th generation as to road feel. But to me, this is a good thing. My dad has a 4th generation which I had no interest in. In terms of the drive, IMHO, the the 4th is absolutely boring as it feels way too isolated from the road. I do however recognize this is what a lot of people want.

I had some concerns about picking up the 6th generation. However, when I test drove it, I quickly realized that Lexus really has done a 180 on it. Gone is the isolation, the steering is no longer vague, and the car is a lot more communicative to the driver in terms of road feel. The ride is equally as comfortable. However, there is a little more road feel as the suspension is a bit firmer -- but it is no way jarring or rough.

To me, it's an improvement. I would never have bought the 6th if it drove like the 4th. I think Lexus wanted to diversify its demographics to increase sales. This might alienate some of the original loyal customers.... but I think Lexus is really trying to further improve its image.

They don't want to be recognized as the car company that that makes the big cushy futon sofa floating down the highway. Hence the recent development of the RC couple, LFA, and other "F-sport" trim level cars.
Old 02-23-16, 09:32 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I have a '14 with the 18" wheels. I had a service loaner that was a '16 and it rode much smoother. I checked and it had 17" wheels. I tried a '16 with the 18" wheels and it rides just like my car. The 17" wheels and Michelin tires seem to be the ticket for the softest and quietest ride on the ES.
Steve
thanks everyone. Super-good tips! I'm going to look at new or recent year ES's with only 17 inch and the michelins. I have Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my '05 ES and am certainly very happy with the tire.

The next dilemma will be whether to go ES350 versus ES350h. I'm tempted to get the better gas mileage, but have read some posts saying that the hybrid seems to have firmer suspension settings, i.e. rougher ride. But that seems in conflict on some threads. I think I'll carefully test drive each and see if I see a difference....
Old 02-23-16, 09:53 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
thanks everyone. Super-good tips! I'm going to look at new or recent year ES's with only 17 inch and the michelins. I have Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my '05 ES and am certainly very happy with the tire.

The next dilemma will be whether to go ES350 versus ES350h. I'm tempted to get the better gas mileage, but have read some posts saying that the hybrid seems to have firmer suspension settings, i.e. rougher ride. But that seems in conflict on some threads. I think I'll carefully test drive each and see if I see a difference....
Just an FYI, IMHO my ES300h rides smooth and is library quiet. There is no ES350h. Always check the air pressure in the tires when test driving as some dealers like to pump the tires up to 40psi.
Old 02-23-16, 10:27 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately huge difference between tires on the ES in 6th generation as they come from factory as other posts here mention. And if you want it 'loaded' such as the ultra luxury version, you'll have to find dealer willing to trade out the 18" rims, which are more stiff than 17". Check tire pressures. Don't ask me why, Lexus cars feel very variable in ride and quietness based on wheel/tire/overinflation compared to other makes. A poor tire model can essentially tarnish the Lexus ride. The right tires on GS without sport suspension isn't worth leaving off your short list without a test drive.

In 2016 the mid cycle refresh they allude to some changes in suspension, on back to back tests it's pretty substantial. The 2016, on 17" (not the 18") and in Michelin (not Bridgestone) will yield a comfortable/quiet ride, but not floaty as previous generation was. It feels settled and will out handle what most would ever be able to throw at it semi-legally on the street. Seems to magically soak bumps without wallowing.

For hybrid or not, personal decision and most dependent where going to drive. Gas now here is less expensive than water (or batteries for sure).

Last edited by kellens; 02-23-16 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 11:11 AM
renegad44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a 2013 ES350 with 18's wrapped in Bridgestones....I'm about to change out her tires so which set of Michelin tires are you guys talking about? Thanks....
Old 02-23-16, 12:09 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

i originally purchased a CPO 2011 ES, but after driving a 2013, the difference in ride quality was one of the big reasons I decided to upgrade. The 2013 felt way more stable and solid going down the highway- the 2011 just felt kind of light and bouncy and more 'tin- cannish' i guess by comparison.
Old 02-23-16, 04:33 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Good comments here by everyone. I have a 2013 ES350 with the 18 inch tires and the crappy Bridgestone tires. It's a pretty stiff ride compared to my dad's 2007 Lexus ES.

But I like it because I'm used to Acura cars with a little better handling than most Lexus cars.

I would also recommend the 17 inch wheels for a softer ride. Switching out the cheap Bridgestones would help also. They are already worn out in different patterns, despite regular rotations, balancing and alignments -I'm at 35k miles.
Old 02-23-16, 06:01 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by renegad44
My wife has a 2013 ES350 with 18's wrapped in Bridgestones....I'm about to change out her tires so which set of Michelin tires are you guys talking about? Thanks....
2016 ES has been coming on Bridgestone or Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Not to be confused with Pilot, or MXM4). Bad news though...after years of the Primacy MXV4, Michelin is discontinuing them. They were the only consumer reports excellent tire for both comfort and noise, the new tire from them is called "Premiere". Its reviews online have been less than stellar. More grip as it wears is their sales pitch, but louder and not as soft. Assuming you can't get the MXV4s that are remaining in few sizes, most popular tire for this arena is Pirelli Cinturato P7 plus, or Toyo Versado Noir. Michelin disappointedly no longer has a quiet/soft tire, as the trend has gone to more sporty (a topic on it's own considering most drivers never drive on a track, and USA roads are rough and deteriorating rapidly). Check reviews online, several good sites.

Last edited by kellens; 02-23-16 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 06:11 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
2016 ES has been coming on Bridgestone or Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Not to be confused with Pilot, or MXM4). Bad news though...after years of the Primacy MXV4, Michelin is discontinuing them. They were the only consumer reports excellent tire for both comfort and noise, the new tire from them is called "Premiere". Its reviews online have been less than stellar. More grip as it wears is their sales pitch, but louder and not as soft. Assuming you can't get the MXV4s that are remaining in few sizes, most popular tire for this arena is Pirelli Cinturato P7 plus, or Toyo Versado Noir. Michelin disappointedly no longer has a quiet/soft tire, as the trend has gone to more sporty (a topic on it's own considering most drivers never drive on a track, and USA roads are rough and deteriorating rapidly). Check reviews online, several good sites.
Besides the negatives that you have explained about the Premiere series tires compared to the Primacy MXV4 tires, it can be noted that the Primacy tires are rated as low rolling resistance tires, and the Premiere tires are not. Thus, I would expect that mpg would not be at quite the same level with the Premiere tires as it would be with the Primacy tires. On the flip side, the Premiere tires do have a better tread wear rating and, at most tire dealers, the Premiere tires are priced a bit lower than the Primacy tires.
Old 02-23-16, 07:08 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by AircraftX
Good comments here by everyone. I have a 2013 ES350 with the 18 inch tires and the crappy Bridgestone tires. It's a pretty stiff ride compared to my dad's 2007 Lexus ES.

But I like it because I'm used to Acura cars with a little better handling than most Lexus cars.

I would also recommend the 17 inch wheels for a softer ride. Switching out the cheap Bridgestones would help also. They are already worn out in different patterns, despite regular rotations, balancing and alignments -I'm at 35k miles.
The Bridgestone thing sounds familiar - my 05 ES330 came on lousy Bridgestones - eventually I replaced them with Michelins and currently have the Michelin Primacy MXV4s which are great.

I wil definitely look into only 17 inch wheels. I find the acuras to be too firm and taut…..

Quick Reply: 6th Gen vs 5th Gen: soft/comfortable ride?