ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How to change the radio station?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 09:31 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Default How to change the radio station?

Hi guys. Just picked up my ES300h this past weekend and I can't seem to figure out how to change radio stations without going through the screen.

In my previous car (Prius), I was able to change it using the up/down buttons on the steering wheel but on the Lexus, it seems to switch radio modes instead?

I've attached pictures to show the buttons I've tried but have had no success. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails How to change the radio station?-2015_lexus_es_10.jpg   How to change the radio station?-imgres.jpg  
Old 02-17-16, 10:06 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

The buttons on the steering wheel that you have circled in the steering wheel picture should change the radio station, but I believe that you must first have saved the radio stations that you want to scroll through as pre-sets.
Old 02-17-16, 12:06 PM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>but I believe that you must first have saved the radio stations that you want to scroll through as pre-sets.

Yes, that's it. You'll have to use the mouse on the center console to get to the radio menu on the screen, maneuver to the FM settings, and then start selecting pre-sets. Those buttons on the steering wheel would then let you set up and down through those presets (but it gets complicated, those buttons also allow you to step out of your AM/FM radio setting into the SiriusXM sat-radio settings. Getting back to AM/FM is tough)

Unfortunately you're going to have to resort to the owners manual to get smart on a quite complicated entertainment/NAV/ system.
===================================
Angle parked in a parallel universe
Old 02-17-16, 03:12 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

I use the buttons on the steering wheel all the time to change channels. But yes, you need to setup your stations via the mouse and screen. Agreed with pab12, if you need assistance, you'll have to consult the Owner's Manual...with pictures! =)
Old 02-18-16, 06:44 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have begun to use the button on the right side of the steering wheel hub...the one with the "face" on it...and after pushing it and being asked for a command I say something like "tune to channel six" for XM or "tune to station 98.7" for FM, etc., etc. and I find it works every time and is quite convenient. For XM you can also say something like "tune to sixties on six or tune to Howard Stern" etc.
Old 02-18-16, 03:43 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

Didn't know that one...seems useful if you know your station. Haven't tried that. Have you tried pressing the Talk button then saying, "Lower temperature"..."Yes"...and the temperature goes down four degrees! Amazing technology! Or just push the temperature-down button. LOL!

What I do use when I'm bumming around town or in another local is you can push the Talk button and say, "Find nearby " such as "Find nearby Macaroni Grill" and it works 95% of the time. Then enable directions, etc. The point is, you can do this while your driving, but it's designed for "nearby" things not directions across the state.
Old 02-19-16, 06:14 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

press and hold on those steering wheel up/down buttons should get you "seek" functionality, iirc
Old 02-19-16, 08:25 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
Hi guys. Just picked up my ES300h this past weekend and I can't seem to figure out how to change radio stations without going through the screen.

I just use the voice command. I just say Tune 680 AM and it does it. (or similar)
Old 02-19-16, 09:29 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Those of you that are able to use the "TUNE" command, what year ES do you have as it does not seem to work on my 2013.
Old 02-19-16, 11:49 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Those of you that are able to use the "TUNE" command, what year ES do you have as it does not seem to work on my 2013.
That is a Gen 8 system command. So only 2015-up.
Old 02-19-16, 12:48 PM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by offroad200
That is a Gen 8 system command. So only 2015-up.
Thanks, I will try it on my wife's 2015.
Old 02-24-16, 08:51 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Guys... got this finally figured out. The Seek buttons indeed worked as designed. It allowed me to scroll through the Presets. Initially, little did I know that the Pre-sets changed from FM to SAT based on how it was programmed. Therefore, I thought the Pre-set button was actually changing the Audio Mode when in reality, it was just changing to the next Pre-set, which just happens to go to another mode.

I also realized that our audio systems allow different EQ/DSP settings depending on whether you're in AM/FM/CD/Satellite/BT. Great feature!
Old 02-24-16, 12:48 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

jollick, go into Menu/Setup/Voice and enable Expanded Voice Commands (pp 315-320)
Old 02-25-16, 05:39 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by mcomer
jollick, go into Menu/Setup/Voice and enable Expanded Voice Commands (pp 315-320)
Yes I did try it on the 2015 ES350 and it does work, I already had the Expanded Voice Commands turned on. Now if Lexus would have feature updates for free like Apple with their phones or even at a nominal fee, I would be happy.
Old 05-04-19, 07:31 AM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by pab12
>but i believe that you must first have saved the radio stations that you want to scroll through as pre-sets.

Yrs manual to get smart on a quite complicated entertainment/nav/ system.
===================================es, that's it. You'll have to use the mouse on the center console to get to the radio menu on the screen, maneuver to the fm settings, and then start selecting pre-sets. Those buttons on the steering wheel would then let you set up and down through those presets (but it gets complicated, those buttons also allow you to step out of your am/fm radio setting into the siriusxm sat-radio settings. Getting back to am/fm is tough)

unfortunately you're going to have to resort to the owne
angle parked in a parallel universe
have 2015 es 350 without gps keeps default to channel 001 and purchase options for xm but i have already subscribed

Last edited by nyardich; 05-04-19 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: How to change the radio station?