ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Got to spend some time with a 2016...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Got to spend some time with a 2016...

As many of you know, I have posted at length about the issues I have with some of the choices Lexus took with the 2013 redesign of the Lexus ES, and ultimately it spurned me to upgrade to the GS when the lease was up on my 2010 ES. My issues consisted of complaints about the grade of some interior plastics, exterior choices such as clip on exhaust outlets vs the welded tips on my 2010, etc.

Anyways, I am very happy to report that Lexus has truly addressed most of my issues with the 2016 mid cycle refresh of the ES. There are still some low rent plastics on the inside, same material on the lower dash and lower doors, but the new trim at the sides of the console, door touch areas are better, seat materials and stitching are better, additional console wood, and the new color palettes really do a lot to make the interior feel more upscale.

I feel confident in saying that had this ES been the one that I had been looking at in 2012 I likely would not have upgraded to the GS.

Good job, Lexus!
Old 11-22-15, 12:07 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As many of you know, I have posted at length about the issues I have with some of the choices Lexus took with the 2013 redesign of the Lexus ES, and ultimately it spurned me to upgrade to the GS when the lease was up on my 2010 ES. My issues consisted of complaints about the grade of some interior plastics, exterior choices such as clip on exhaust outlets vs the welded tips on my 2010, etc.

Anyways, I am very happy to report that Lexus has truly addressed most of my issues with the 2016 mid cycle refresh of the ES. There are still some low rent plastics on the inside, same material on the lower dash and lower doors, but the new trim at the sides of the console, door touch areas are better, seat materials and stitching are better, additional console wood, and the new color palettes really do a lot to make the interior feel more upscale.

I feel confident in saying that had this ES been the one that I had been looking at in 2012 I likely would not have upgraded to the GS.

Good job, Lexus!
Thanks for the update...any thoughts on ride characteristics vs '13-'15 ES? Somewhere I read that they "strengthened the frame"...I think that is what it said. Haven't seen much about it though. Thanks...TomMartin
Old 11-22-15, 12:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't drive it, I'll try and get one as a loaner when I put my LS in for the 10k service.

I personally never felt the 13-15 rode poorly. I know some people do.
Old 11-22-15, 01:37 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I thought it was just part of the business model- to leave things out in the early run models, so there are things to add back in for the 'refresh'.
Old 11-22-15, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't agree with that philosophy, hopefully Lexus won't going forward either.
Old 11-22-15, 02:52 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good thoughts and mirrored what I thought. They hit all the interior spots that mattered. Sure, could be more, but eventually it'd be an LS. I don't think it was by design they waited to improve it. I imagine the focus groups after the build agreed with SW15LS, and the testing required for seemingly small changes is mind blowing.

The 2016 has some changes they really don't go into detail one, one is the handling, they say they 'turned and adopted stiffening" similar to IS. I thought the drive/ride was less rigid and whatever they did, it is much better.

Same for sound, what ever they added, helps with any sounds coming from up front. With acoustic glass in the car (which happens randomly unless you request it to be changed if yours didn't have it), you're really only at the mercy of the tires and road surface for noise.

I haven't read any 'expert' reviews online about the 2016 that weren't based on the reviewer driving a prior year and just mentioning the changes, though it wasn't compared or even driven.

Last edited by kellens; 11-22-15 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the car IMHO now is what it should be as an entry level Lexus.

Yeah they added some sort of sound deadening to the firewall, and the chassis tightening.

I'll try and take one for a spin soon.
Old 11-22-15, 03:07 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Yeah the car IMHO now is what it should be as an entry level Lexus.

Yeah they added some sort of sound deadening to the firewall, and the chassis tightening.

I'll try and take one for a spin soon.

I doubt the ride will impress you much compared to your LS, but a large step in the right direction and if driven back to back with a '15, would be surprised if you didn't notice some softening and tweaks. It's not to GS level by any stretch for handling, but 'addressed' the ride about to the same level they addressed the interior's shortcomings IMO and quieter than any other Lexus but the LS. I'm sure Genesis and others chasing the comfort cruise crowd helped speed this along too.
Old 11-22-15, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not fair to compare it to the LS, but I'd be very interested to see what they've done with it.

Have you driven the current GS? I felt it was quieter than the 13-15 ES in all but intake sound.
Old 11-22-15, 05:22 PM
kellens
Pole Position

It's not fair to compare it to the LS, but I'd be very interested to see what they've done with it.

Have you driven the current GS? I felt it was quieter than the 13-15 ES in all but intake sound.
I've driven at 2015 GS, but not the new 2016 (which have only seen photos of, unsure if at the dealers yet). The 2016 Ultra Luxury ES I drove had the acoustic side glass by coincidence as did the GS. The ES noticeably quieter in both engine/road/exhaust noise, and wind noise the same (non-existent). ES smoother riding and drives light, almost nimble for it's interior space. The GS better and more refined steering and sporty road engagement, and if had fun, smooth roads to play on it would be a contender for me. Drove 2015 SWB LS same day, and as you well know, takes interior a notch up, as does the refinement overall, and road/engine noise takes another noticeable drop. Drove large and substantial.
Old 11-22-15, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I look forward to driving a 2016...
Old 11-22-15, 09:13 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I disagree with the OP, I sat in a few 2016 ES300h and ES200 and I didn't feel much of a difference compared to my 2014 car. The hard plastics are still there and the material feel hasn't improved. The shifter looks nicer but it's just a pleather cover over the same gate style shifter. The NuLuxe seats also felt similar. The added soft touch material on the center console looks good though.

What really wowed me was a light gray interior color that I've never seen before. It looked amazing compared to my dark gray interior.

Then I sat in an RC200t and... Mind blown. The interior design and quality is leaps ahead of the new RX and NX and makes the ES look cheap. Well, the ES *is* cheap, but my old Acura had better interior materials. The ES is better built and it's very quiet, the main reasons I got it, and the hybrid drivetrain is a lovely thing.
Old 11-22-15, 09:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of it I think is color. Contrasting colors, richer colors help ordinary plastics and materials look and feel better.
Old 11-22-15, 11:17 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish they added auto folding mirrors and I wish the tailpipes would have been integrated better like the GS. They hang low and look out of place when looking at the rear. Other than that I am loving my 16 from the 13. It does seem to ride better.
Old 11-23-15, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Everybody gets all hot and bothered about the auto folding mirrors, you should have seen the threads in the 4GS forum after they omitted that on the 2013. Well, I have them on the LS and I don't see what all the hoopla is about

Quick Reply: Got to spend some time with a 2016...