ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tire Noise GS, ES & LS ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 06:16 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tire Noise GS, ES & LS ??

I noticed when completing a number of test drives of several Lexus' (or Lexi) how immensely sensitive all 3 are, especially the ES, to different tires. The cars are so very quiet, but seems to amplify any road surface changes more than other makes of car, even other quiet cars, of less expense. I'm no engineer. Any idea why Lexus is so sensitive to tire selection and noise, and anything that will temper it?
Old 11-04-15, 07:55 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

1st - I believe it is due to the car's quietness that we notice it more.
2nd - The dealers tend to over inflate the tires. If you can, be sure to check them before the test drive and make sure they are at the specified amount on the label located on the driver's door. It makes a difference in ride and noise.
Old 11-04-15, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Tires are very important to how a Lexus rides and the noise level you get, always has been that way.

What tempers it is making sure you always run the quietest riding tires available.
Old 11-04-15, 10:31 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Tires are very important to how a Lexus rides and the noise level you get, always has been that way.

What tempers it is making sure you always run the quietest riding tires available.
So true, not sure why Lexus is so 'tire sensitive' though. Other reply might have some of a point that the car's quiet to begin with. The Lexus' on a not super quiet tires make a Chevy Aveo seem quiet though. Odd.

MXV4 going away, not a lot of quiet options out there. CR doesn't have any "excellent" low noise tires any more. Didn't know if any other way to make the car less noise sensitive to tire/road surface.

Thanks for everyone's insights.
Old 11-04-15, 10:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
The Lexus' on a not super quiet tires make a Chevy Aveo seem quiet though.
I wouldn't go that far at all, especially up the chain. The LS comes on terrible Bridgestone EL42 tires that get poor marks for being loud, yet its very quiet. I'm sure on better tires it will be even quieter. The GS is more sensitive and the ES still (I've had them all).

What has always perplexed me is, knowing that why does Lexus choose to outfit some of their cars with loud tires from the factory?!? For instance, the ES comes on very quiet Primacy MXV4s OR loud Bridgestones. The GS comes on quiet Primacy MXM4s OR loud Dunlops. Luck of the draw what you get. Makes a big difference too.

MXV4 going away, not a lot of quiet options out there. CR doesn't have any "excellent" low noise tires any more. Didn't know if any other way to make the car less noise sensitive to tire/road surface.
Like I posted in another thread, I would choose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus or the Toyo Versado Noir. he Toyos aren't as widely available, and TireRack doesn't sell them. My independent does, and I put them on the GS to replace the Primacy MXM4 when they wore out, was very happy. I had intended to get the Pirellis but they were out.

Tons of reviews out about the Pirellis, overwhelmingly positive. Not nearly as many about the Toyos although what is there is also very positive.

I recently emailed TreadDepot (they stock both) and asked their opinion:

Good morning Steve,

I can honestly say you aren’t going to go wrong with either tire. Both are premium lines that will give you an excellent ride and low noise. Between the two, the Pirelli has slightly better light snow traction (if that’s important), a little bit better dry traction, and it’s still a lower rolling resistance tire. Downside is some people think it’s a little bit louder, but I’ve driven cars with them and didn’t think that was the case at all. The Toyo’s will offer a slightly better ride and are a little quieter, but you do lose a little bit of mileage warranty over the Pirelli. I’d go with the Toyo if noise and ride are more important and the Pirelli if you want better handling. Again, both are excellent choices for your LS and you’re really only talking minor differences between them. If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email!

Andrew
For your ES purchase though, just request that they give you the Primacy MXV4 as that tire is still being shipped by Lexus. You'll be good until time to replace.
Old 11-04-15, 11:04 AM
kellens
Pole Position

I wouldn't go that far at all, especially up the chain. The LS comes on terrible Bridgestone EL42 tires that get poor marks for being loud, yet its very quiet. I'm sure on better tires it will be even quieter. The GS is more sensitive and the ES still (I've had them all).

What has always perplexed me is, knowing that why does Lexus choose to outfit some of their cars with loud tires from the factory?!? For instance, the ES comes on very quiet Primacy MXV4s OR loud Bridgestones. The GS comes on quiet Primacy MXM4s OR loud Dunlops. Luck of the draw what you get. Makes a big difference too.

Like I posted in another thread, I would choose the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus or the Toyo Versado Noir. he Toyos aren't as widely available, and TireRack doesn't sell them. My independent does, and I put them on the GS to replace the Primacy MXM4 when they wore out, was very happy. I had intended to get the Pirellis but they were out.

Tons of reviews out about the Pirellis, overwhelmingly positive. Not nearly as many about the Toyos although what is there is also very positive.

For your ES purchase though, just request that they give you the Primacy MXV4 as that tire is still being shipped by Lexus. You'll be good until time to replace.
Good advice, and yea, maybe the Aveo was an exaggeration ...but your point well made, different tires, same car from factory feels like different car to me.

I also saw SWLS15 that Toyo seems to have great return policy, 500mi/45 day. Seems a great option. Good luck!

Last edited by kellens; 11-04-15 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-06-15, 01:31 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read through this and the info on the P7+. Just bought a GS and the dealer is checking to see if they can order this for me. I would pay the difference which is fine. The ratings look stellar.

Done deal, dealer is great.
Thx

Last edited by BB11; 11-06-15 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 01:45 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
Any idea why Lexus is so sensitive to tire selection and noise, and anything that will temper it?
Because under the carpets, under the back seat, under the trunk mat / rear wheel housings and inside the doors of Toyota/Lexus vehicles there is no dense, heavy sound barrier insulation nor thick acoustical absorber insulation like American luxury cars used to have in the 1990's and earlier decades.

Back in the 1970's when automakers were not obsessed with weight reduction some basic American cars like the Chevy Impala / Caprice had 2-3 layers of thick sound insulation under the carpets, plus acoustic insulation inside the doors, behind the rear seat and inside the trunk.
Old 11-16-15, 06:29 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Because under the carpets, under the back seat, under the trunk mat / rear wheel housings and inside the doors of Toyota/Lexus vehicles there is no dense, heavy sound barrier insulation nor thick acoustical absorber insulation like American luxury cars used to have in the 1990's and earlier decades.

Back in the 1970's when automakers were not obsessed with weight reduction some basic American cars like the Chevy Impala / Caprice had 2-3 layers of thick sound insulation under the carpets, plus acoustic insulation inside the doors, behind the rear seat and inside the trunk.
I know weight cuts have made some hit in all cars, and has become a good excuse for makers to save money, which is always the incentive. Seems Lexus, though quiet in other ways, is louder than many CURRENT production cars as far as variation in road/tire noise. You could almost use their cars to test how quiet tires are as they seem to be magnified. Some of this is the car is otherwise so quiet.

Where's the best value to cut the noise? Pulling carpet and adding padding/matting? Door panels? Trunk?
Old 11-16-15, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Best value is good tires.