ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-15, 05:39 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air suspension

Planning on going air soon! I've had lowering springs and now currently on d2 coil-overs, but never done air suspension in my life. Absolutely I been doing some research both online and with fellow local Lexus owners. But since the ES is FWD and has macpherson strut all around, not double wishbone like the other Lexus I'm not sure how comparable the information is. My plans are bags over struts. I'll be using my D2 struts and possibly airlift V2, maybe v3 when it becomes available. My main question is what bags and brackets will work with the d2? Also anything else I should know? I do all the work on my car so taking to a shop is not an option. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-15, 11:47 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,234 Likes on 866 Posts

Can you share what the advantage in changing the factory suspension to air is? Are the modifications from factory plus expense and labor worth the changeover? What about the warranty?.
Old 07-03-15, 12:16 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
Can you share what the advantage in changing the factory suspension to air is? Are the modifications from factory plus expense and labor worth the changeover? What about the warranty?.
Each suspension change has its pros and cons.
Lowering spring offer a mild drop to close the wheel gap but depending on the springs it can create a rougher ride or swag more under heavy load.
Coilovers are more adjustable, you can fine tune the dampening on the struts and ride height but like lowering spring also can create a rougher ride.
Air bags over the strut can create a more comfortable ride and still be able to adjust ride height which is the main reason I'm going air. The cons of air is loss of trunk space due to the air tank and much more complicated install with more things to that can lead to failure such as the air line freezing during winter months... I'm not worried about warranty, but for those who are it all depends on the Tech/service advisor and what the warranty work is. If needed the car can be put back to original before taking to the dealer. I'm already at 50k plus miles and it's only seen the dealership twice which were for the first 2 free service. I've done all maintenance and upgrades myself.
Now is it worth the change over? It all depends on the person and what they want. Kinda like is a Lexus worth the extra money of a equivalent Toyota ? For some yes and other no.

Last edited by MrlexEd88; 07-03-15 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 04:07 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have put air-compressors and tanks in other vehicles, but mainly for air horns. (Around here, most drivers just don't hear electric horns, especially when they are distracted and doing stupid maneuvers. Air horns seem to get their attention.)

I have not done this to this ES, mainly for lack of space. The trunk is small enough already.

If you find a very small compressor, and an air-tank that is specifically shaped to fit the space, that would be interesting.

(BTW -- I like Milwaukee electric tools, but there really is no substitute for real air-tools. Looks like you might have enough space in your barn for a small compressor.)

Last edited by SLH; 07-03-15 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-03-15, 11:11 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Originally Posted by SLH
I have put air-compressors and tanks in other vehicles, but mainly for air horns. (Around here, most drivers just don't hear electric horns, especially when they are distracted and doing stupid maneuvers. Air horns seem to get their attention.)

I have not done this to this ES, mainly for lack of space. The trunk is small enough already.

If you find a very small compressor, and an air-tank that is specifically shaped to fit the space, that would be interesting.

(BTW -- I like Milwaukee electric tools, but there really is no substitute for real air-tools. Looks like you might have enough space in your barn for a small compressor.)

They make special kits for air suspension, in fact air suspension is pretty common in most show cars. My main concern is finding the bags and brackets that'll work with my coilovers.

And I have mainly Matco tools and few snap-on and Carlyle. The Matco battery impact has enough power to break most bolts free if not I have handy breaker and cheater bars. I have a small air compressor for air tools but the compressor and air tools are really loud compared to hand/battery powered. Also I don't like dealing with the air line, but it's all preference because I know some hate dealing with dead battery's LOL

Old 07-05-15, 11:41 PM
gxauto808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ksport and air rex makes kits for the 13+ es350 . I have seen the one from autocustoms in Hawaii and its a full bolt on kit.... that might be a easier route?
Old 07-10-15, 12:26 PM
Wifedriven
Driver School Candidate

My ES350 is on air bags and I cant seem to find the correct settings to make it ride smooth like a factory Lexus. I will try and post a picture of the install tonight.
Old 07-10-15, 09:37 PM
MrlexEd88
Driver

Originally Posted by Wifedriven
My ES350 is on air bags and I cant seem to find the correct settings to make it ride smooth like a factory Lexus. I will try and post a picture of the install tonight.
Thanks, looking forward to seeing some pics
Old 07-12-15, 12:21 AM
Wifedriven
Driver School Candidate

Default Pictures of car

The pictures are from when the previous owner had gold rims on it. Now I'm running stock rims.
Attached Thumbnails Air suspension-accuair2.png   Air suspension-gold-rims2.jpg