ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What optional features do you find the most useful?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-15, 08:58 AM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What optional features do you find the most useful?

I am shopping for a new 2015 ES350 and there are a lot of optional packages and features that are available. I know everyone have their own taste and comfort level, but I want to know what are some of the options that you purchased (or wish you had)?

Below is the list and the MSRP:

Code:
PACKAGES					MSRP
Premium Package 				$730
   -inc: remote linked memory, Memory Exterior 
   Mirrors, Memory Driver Seat, Memory Steering 
   Wheel, Genuine Wood Trim
Luxury Package					$1370
   inc: remote linked memory, Leather Seat 
   Trim, Memory Exterior Mirrors, Climate 
   Control Seats, heater and ventilation, 
   Memory Driver Seat, Memory Steering Wheel, 
   Genuine Wood Trim
Ultra Luxury Package 				$2935
   -inc: remote linked memory, Semi-Aniline 
   Leather Seat Trim, Memory Exterior Mirrors, 
   Climate Control Seats, heater and 
   ventilation, Power Rear Sunshade, Memory 
   Driver Seat, Memory Steering Wheel, 
   Genuine Wood Trim, Ambient Lighting
Radio: Mark Levinson Audio Package w/Navi	$2695
   -inc: EMVN, 1 DVD, ML, 15 speakers 
   and SDARS audio

OPTIONS						MSRP
Pre-Collision System                            $1,500
Wheels: 18" X 7.5jj 5-Twin Spoke Aluminum Alloy $880
Wheels: 17" X 7jj Split 10-Spoke Aluminum Alloy $110
Power Rear Sunshade				$210
Rain Sensing Wipers w/Deicer			$155
High Intensity Discharge (Hid) Headlamps 	$565
Heated & Ventilated Front Seats			$640
Lane Departure Alert				$1015
Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert	$500
Hard Disk Drive Navigation System w/Backup	$1795
Intuitive Parking Assist			$500
One-Touch Power Trunk				$400
3 Spoke Leather & Wood Steering Wheel 		$330
3 Spoke Leather & Bamboo Heated Steering Wheel 	$300
3 Spoke Leather & Wood Heated Steering Wheel	$480
Old 01-30-15, 09:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

This is very subjective, but my absolute favorite options are the panoramic sunroof and ML sound system. The pano only comes with the UL package, but you get several other goodies with it, like seat cushion extender, semi-aniline leather, etc... Outside of those, the blind spot monitors and power trunk would be next. At first I was upset that I couldn't get PCS on my pre-configured ES, but it doesn't seem to be all that great. At least not worth the $1.5k to me.
Old 01-30-15, 10:49 AM
roxy208
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree the pano sunroof and ML sound are the reasons I got the UL package. Also blind spot / cross traffic alert, power trunk, rain sensing wipers.
I also like the look of the 18 in wheels.
Old 01-30-15, 06:18 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have purchased 4 Es300h in the past 3 years. All with luxury packages. I just stepped into my new 2015 Es300h with the UL package and ML sound system.
I can say that I like the seat extender the most on this car. I can hardly tell the difference in the sound system, the ambient lighting is really not that awe inspiring. The passenger seat memory comes to use that was not in my other cars.
Would I go all out again on the next car, probably not.
The BSM, HID, Park Assist, and Heated Seats are for me important.
Lane Departure get hardly used.
Remote Start, now that one can use their smart phone.
Step off plane walk ten minutes to a warm car.
Old 01-30-15, 06:35 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

my car is pretty basic. 300h
only thing I would change is add the blind spot monitoring. and maybe that rear sun shade.
Old 01-31-15, 03:33 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is a 300h with the UL package, ML radio, plus some of the options.

The Intuitive Parking Assist is helpful for getting into tight parking spaces.
The Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Cross Traffic Alert is extremely useful for backing out of parking places in busy lots, and for changing lanes in heavy traffic. The backup camera is also very useful. After getting used to those, I don't think I would want a car without them.

Remote Start is nice to turn the AC on a few minutes early on hot summer days. The power trunk is nice. The seat-extender just makes the chair the same size that it should have been in the first place.
Old 01-31-15, 04:32 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2014 300h is the top trim and has most of the features you list. Some were not optional such as the 18" wheels. I find virtually all of the options valuable but one that I didn't see on you list is the automatic high beams. I probably get the least amount of use from that feature but that has more to do with the type of roads I'm usually on where there is considerable traffic even at night.
Old 01-31-15, 06:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

My first new car purchase was a 1968 Camaro. At that time, a nicely equipped car meant that it had an AM radio, a heater, and the "air conditioning" was manually cranking down the windows and driving a little faster.

My first vehicle with real AC was bought in 1974, and once I had air conditioning, I never would have considered buying another vehicle without it. My first vehicle with power windows was bought in 1983, and, after that, I wouldn't have considered buying a vehicle without power windows. I bought my first vehicle with a navigation system in 2001, and, after that purchase, I would not have considered buying another vehicle without a navigation system.

Similarly, though about 50 years of buying vehicles, every time that there was a new feature on a vehicle that I've bought, I would have felt like something was missing if a future vehicle purchase didn't have that feature, and I'm sure that there are lots of features on my ES, including things like the blind spot monitor, cross traffic alert, etc. that I will want on vehicles that I purchase in the future.

So, for me, it would be difficult to identify a single "must have" feature. Instead, it is the combination of features in total that creates a package of things that I wouldn't want to be without.
Old 01-31-15, 07:40 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The single thing I wish my 300h had most is the auto dipping side mirror function when reversing. My car didn't come with driver settings memory, although it has power adjustable seats, an extended thigh cushion and power adjustable steering. Apparently Toyota are cheap and nasty enough to offer dipping mirrors with memory seats only. Now I wish I could retrofit the stuff...
Old 01-31-15, 09:31 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
my car is pretty basic. 300h
only thing I would change is add the blind spot monitoring. and maybe that rear sun shade.
Please extrapolate on why you like the sun shade. Thanks.
Old 01-31-15, 10:32 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really appreciate the blind spot monitor with the rear cross alert. Very nice when backing out of parking lots.
Old 02-01-15, 12:19 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

For me, this is an easy one, without question 2 of my favorite things about my es are the additions of the blind spot monitor and the cross traffic alert. Can't tell you how many times one of those safety features has saved my bacon.... two other features I really enjoy on the car include memory seat settings as well as the heated seats.... Never really gets too cold here in Louisiana but on those occasional days where it gets a bit nippy, there are times I just turn on the heated seat and don't even bother with the climate control....

Poppa
Old 02-01-15, 12:16 PM
GrumpyDave
Driver School Candidate

Now that I have it, the cross traffic alert is something I hope to never be without again. Blind spot detection (in the same package) is the icing on the cake.
Old 02-01-15, 02:34 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heated steering weel.
Old 02-01-15, 04:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Earlier in this thread, I posted saying that, every time I buy a new car with some new feature or option, from that point on, I don't want to be without that feature or option.

Reading the responses of others in this thread confirms, for me, that that must actually be true, because, when others have said that they really appreciate some feature, whether it be heated seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitor, or any of a number of others, I find myself reacting by thinking "yes, that is something I don't want to be without when I purchase cars in the future".

Quick Reply: What optional features do you find the most useful?