ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

base model worth considering?

Old 07-20-14, 08:34 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default base model worth considering?

I need a car for my commute - and am thinking - is the base model worth pursuing?

I could go with fully loaded honda accord touring (fully loaded) but am thinking - it won't have the same feel as a lexus when it comes to driving the car. Therefore, its worth sacrificing the nav etc to get the lexus.

My commute is about 50 miles each way - 48 of those are on a major highway.
Old 07-20-14, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Drive both of them on the highway and see what you think. Personally I would need nav, etc. The Accord is a nice car, not as smooth and quiet as the ES but you get a lot more features for that high $30k price tag.
Old 07-20-14, 08:54 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Also depends on if you're going to use the extra features of the Honda. Some people are fine with simplicity, some are nerds like me that loves all the bells and whistles
Old 07-20-14, 09:19 PM
eperkin3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been driving the base 2014 ES350 model since March 2014 and it is a fantastic ride. I actually test drove and got quotes for both the Honda Accord and the ES350. The Accord is definitely a nice car and perfectly fine, but the ES350 is by far a better value and major upgrade in the "feel" of the car, both interior and the drive. I have the "non" leather like seats, and I find them very comfortable and you don't have to condition them. With the ES350 base model, I enjoy tons of great technology features like Bluetooth, backup camera, blind spot monitoring, park assist, cooled seats, push button start, and this cool touch lock feature on the door handles. I do not have navigation, but there is a display screen and a "mouse" type controller to manage the radio, etc.

To me, the Lexus ES is hands down a better choice.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-14, 09:30 PM
sharmila19
Driver

that's the thing. I am fine with simplicity - I just want to know if I the extra money is worth it.
Old 07-20-14, 09:33 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Originally Posted by eperkin3
I've been driving the base 2014 ES350 model since March 2014 and it is a fantastic ride. I actually test drove and got quotes for both the Honda Accord and the ES350. The Accord is definitely a nice car and perfectly fine, but the ES350 is by far a better value and major upgrade in the "feel" of the car, both interior and the drive. I have the "non" leather like seats, and I find them very comfortable and you don't have to condition them. With the ES350 base model, I enjoy tons of great technology features like Bluetooth, backup camera, blind spot monitoring, park assist, cooled seats, push button start, and this cool touch lock feature on the door handles. I do not have navigation, but there is a display screen and a "mouse" type controller to manage the radio, etc.

To me, the Lexus ES is hands down a better choice.

Good luck!
Wait .... I thought the base model did not have back up camera, blind spot monitoring, park assist and cooled seats.
Old 07-20-14, 11:48 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They may be options to the base model, although I'm not sure if the non-leather NuLex are available with ventilated seats.
Old 07-21-14, 05:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmila19
I need a car for my commute - and am thinking - is the base model worth pursuing?

I could go with fully loaded honda accord touring (fully loaded) but am thinking - it won't have the same feel as a lexus when it comes to driving the car. Therefore, its worth sacrificing the nav etc to get the lexus.

My commute is about 50 miles each way - 48 of those are on a major highway.
Cars like the Accord and the Camry are very nice cars. While they might not have quite the level of refinement of the ES, they are dependable, and the offer lots in the way of features for the money. Only you can decide whether more features or a higher level of refinement is a higher priority to you.

As I suggested in one of your other threads, another alternative that might be worth considering is to buy a used 2013 ES. I'm sure that you would be able to buy a well-maintained and low mileage 2013 ES that is very nicely equipped for less than a pretty basic new 2014 ES. And doing so has a further advantage in that the original owner has already absorbed the first year of depreciation on the vehicle. Even a Certified Pre-Owned 2013 that is well equipped should cost less than a new 2014 that is minimally equipped.

Originally Posted by Arty101
They may be options to the base model, although I'm not sure if the non-leather NuLex are available with ventilated seats.
For the 2013 model year, ventilated seats were not available with the NuLux, but, for the 2014 models, the ventilated seats are available with the NuLux.
Old 07-21-14, 01:52 PM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do lot of highway I would pick the ES. It's so quiet on the highway, it's really a nice car for that. Ho, and the seat are really really comfortable even after driving 5 hours.
Old 07-21-14, 06:03 PM
alpinefun
Rookie

I was in the same boat and I did buy ES350. If you can't decide for your self just follow my case and you will be happy. Trust me.
Old 07-21-14, 06:13 PM
sharmila19
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Cars like the Accord and the Camry are very nice cars. While they might not have quite the level of refinement of the ES, they are dependable, and the offer lots in the way of features for the money. Only you can decide whether more features or a higher level of refinement is a higher priority to you.

As I suggested in one of your other threads, another alternative that might be worth considering is to buy a used 2013 ES. I'm sure that you would be able to buy a well-maintained and low mileage 2013 ES that is very nicely equipped for less than a pretty basic new 2014 ES. And doing so has a further advantage in that the original owner has already absorbed the first year of depreciation on the vehicle. Even a Certified Pre-Owned 2013 that is well equipped should cost less than a new 2014 that is minimally equipped.

For the 2013 model year, ventilated seats were not available with the NuLux, but, for the 2014 models, the ventilated seats are available with the NuLux.

Thank you....I called a couple of places in NJ and all the dealers were not willing to budge on the price of the 2013 models..even used they wanted 35K for cars with 20,000 miles with a luxury package. Believe me, if I could find one for a reasonable price, I would go for it.
Old 07-27-14, 11:35 AM
Bbyboomer
Driver School Candidate

No question your ride would be better in the Lexus. As for bells and whistles? obviously you can get more in an Accord then you would a lexus for the same money. I on the other hand have a 2103 ES350 but want to get the same model but with the ULTRA luxury package.My friend just bought a 2014 Accord,base model,no extra anything. I have to say in a 4 cylinder they have greatly improved the pick up and pep. Personally, I have always had a less expensive commuter car and kept the luxury car at home for roads trips and vacations.
Old 07-27-14, 07:47 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a base model + heated seats (never used), and back up cam is std.

2 things I would like if I had a do over....
blind spot assist, and the rear sun shield.

otherwise I don't miss much, like the nav or ML stereo.

Some owner have complaints on the leather and vented seats. few love the ML stereo.

18" rims would also be nice but in NJ you might be better off on 17"

GL!
Old 07-29-14, 12:24 AM
cowdesigne
Driver School Candidate

I was looking at exactly the same two cars you're considering. I went for the ES350 because it's a much smoother and comfortable ride. I have a really long commute as well, and the comfort I get in the Lexus is far superior. I ended up getting a CPO 2013 ES350 and I'm glad I did. What everyone says here I agree with. You will be far happier in the Lexus after a year than in the Honda.