ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Disappointment in the Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-14, 04:16 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disappointment in the Mark Levinson

Is anyone disappointed in the Mark Levinson radio in the 2013/14 ES 300h? I've come from a 2010 Acura TL Tech with the ELS system and had great expectations for the ML. But in the first week of ownership I was convinced something was wrong with the sound system. It was pleasant enough but had no punch to it and seemed to lack dynamic range. No solid lows or sparkling highs I had enjoyed in the TL.

By the time I returned to the dealer for my first inspection I asked them to check it out and even provided a CD. They said it was working okay and even brought an identical model to mine into the bay for comparison. I had to acknowledge that it sounded the same but pointed out some instrumental parts in the music that were lacking. The technician agreed with me but insisted that there was no problem with the radio.

So now after 2 months I still feel that the ML doesn't live up to the hype that I've read in past reviews. Be interested in your experiences with the radio. BTW I'm aware of the amplifier problem from last year's model but I am not experiencing distortion. Just anemic sound.
Old 07-05-14, 03:03 PM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same, it's good, but not stellar. When on Satellite radio, I think the sound come too much from the center which sound unbalanced, on other source like the bluetooth, it sound better.
Old 07-06-14, 06:31 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Any stereo will sound it best after you adjust the setting using a music CD as a reference.
Anything that changes after that is the source material's blame not the stereo.
Old 07-06-14, 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Bear in mind that the ML Audio varies idely in quality depending on the model. Its much better in say the LS...in the ES its never been incredible...I had it in the 03, didn't bother with the 2010 and thought the audio in the 2010 was just as good as the ML in the 2003.

I also didn't bother on the GS.
Old 07-06-14, 07:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Bear in mind that the ML Audio varies idely in quality depending on the model. Its much better in say the LS...in the ES its never been incredible...I had it in the 03, didn't bother with the 2010 and thought the audio in the 2010 was just as good as the ML in the 2003.

I also didn't bother on the GS.

True.
I had ML in an '08 GS and '12 ES350 UL and wasn't impressed at all.
In an LS,a much different story.
Old 07-06-14, 07:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Acura seems to have a great system, I've heard this complaint before from people coming from Acuras.

I think part of it may be that the Acura system, say a Bose system or a JBL system has a more "American rock & roll" sound. The ML is a more "classical" sound. I have a coworker who has a GX with the ML, and he's a huge jazz and classical guy and he says the ML is the best system that he's ever had in a car and LOVES it. I've never been hugely impressed, even in the LS (my dad's 04 had ML). I actually miss the old Lexus Nakamichi system. That was the best audio I've had in a car.

The issue may be that for the sort of music we're listening to, the ML falls short.
Old 07-06-14, 11:13 AM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everybody, the ML is a mediocre system. I had it on my 2007 and it was the same, no improvements over 7 years. It was packaged with my Ultra Luxury model otherwise I would not have wanted it.
Old 07-06-14, 12:54 PM
jachim1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel same it's not same ml that i had in my ls460 but i paid same money for the upgrade
Old 07-06-14, 03:34 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Keep in mind that the tone settings are all separate. You have different settings for FM, Satellite, USB Media, etc. So, if you have not already done so, check and adjust the settings while in each mode separately. I have the ML system in my 2006 GS and my 2013 ES300h and am very happy with the audio quality since I have adjusted the settings to my taste. I also had an LS with ML and find them all to be good.
Old 07-06-14, 06:00 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Acura seems to have a great system, I've heard this complaint before from people coming from Acuras.

I think part of it may be that the Acura system, say a Bose system or a JBL system has a more "American rock & roll" sound. The ML is a more "classical" sound. I have a coworker who has a GX with the ML, and he's a huge jazz and classical guy and he says the ML is the best system that he's ever had in a car and LOVES it. I've never been hugely impressed, even in the LS (my dad's 04 had ML). I actually miss the old Lexus Nakamichi system. That was the best audio I've had in a car.

The issue may be that for the sort of music we're listening to, the ML falls short.
Both my 2006 and 2010 Acura TLs had the ELS system which I believe is made by Pioneer. The 2010 system was an improvement over the earlier one but I'm comparing the ML to the 2010 version. I mostly listen to jazz and classical both of which sounded much better in the TL.
Old 07-06-14, 06:05 PM
don1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jollick
Keep in mind that the tone settings are all separate. You have different settings for FM, Satellite, USB Media, etc. So, if you have not already done so, check and adjust the settings while in each mode separately. I have the ML system in my 2006 GS and my 2013 ES300h and am very happy with the audio quality since I have adjusted the settings to my taste. I also had an LS with ML and find them all to be good.
Good point but I do have the settings adjusted for each source. The TL had tone, balance and fade controls and an additional subwoofer control which the ML lacks. I think that part of the problem is lack of a good subwoofer in the ES and the ability to control its volume.
Old 07-07-14, 06:36 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by don1
Good point but I do have the settings adjusted for each source. The TL had tone, balance and fade controls and an additional subwoofer control which the ML lacks. I think that part of the problem is lack of a good subwoofer in the ES and the ability to control its volume.
The ES has bass, treble, balance, and fade - even on the basic Lexus stereo. But neither the basic nor the ML has anything to control the sub directly. That would be nice. I guess I typically just use the bass control for more or less subwoofer. Turning down the mid setting into the negatives will also give more bass.

I had the ML in my IS-F and did not care for it at all. I would definitely not pay for it in an upgrade specifically.
Old 07-07-14, 01:45 PM
Amphibulus
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could people share what are their settings to make it sound good on the satellite radio in the ES?

I have tryied lot of settings, and I feel the sound still come too much from the center of the front console. I don't know why they did not put any tweeter on the front door.
Old 07-08-14, 07:06 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphibulus
Could people share what are their settings to make it sound good on the satellite radio in the ES?

I have tryied lot of settings, and I feel the sound still come too much from the center of the front console. I don't know why they did not put any tweeter on the front door.
There is nothing you can do to fix XM's sound. The issue is on their end, it's super compressed. The ML system just highlights this. On lower end systems, like the one in my wife's CR-V, it's acceptable. Her speakers have much less range.
Old 07-08-14, 07:37 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Amphibulus

Maybe a speaker change?
Those fronts seem pretty easy to get to. (Still researching that myself)
There is a thread here about that.

Quick Reply: Disappointment in the Mark Levinson