ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer installed spoiler off by around 2mm

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 01:02 AM
Newtype
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer installed spoiler off by around 2mm

I just took delivery of a 2014 ES 350 and ordered the spoiler from the dealer and had them install it for me but because the dealer doesn't have a body shop they outsourced it. When I drove home to inspect the car (because they were closing) I noticed that my spoiler was off centered by around 2mm or so, it's not obvious but would this be consider acceptable as a margin of error? Even if I complain to the dealer they wouldn't be able to do anything anymore since the holes are already drilled right?
Old 06-20-14, 04:04 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Newtype
I just took delivery of a 2014 ES 350 and ordered the spoiler from the dealer and had them install it for me but because the dealer doesn't have a body shop they outsourced it. When I drove home to inspect the car (because they were closing) I noticed that my spoiler was off centered by around 2mm or so, it's not obvious but would this be consider acceptable as a margin of error? Even if I complain to the dealer they wouldn't be able to do anything anymore since the holes are already drilled right?
About 1/16th of an inch? They probably used a template which comes with the spoiler, but that's a pretty close tolerance to notice visually. Looking at my factory spoiler, it looks even, with maybe an inch open on each side. 'Not about to get out my calipers.
Old 06-20-14, 06:14 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

I'm also a stickler for accuracy and extremely critical of any repair, installation or procedure done to any of my cars. I understand where you're coming from. IMO I would think that the spoiler could be moved simply by adjusting the mounting bolts 2MM to the left or right whichever side is off. Maybe one of our members is a body person and could comment.
Old 06-20-14, 06:25 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'm also a stickler for accuracy and extremely critical of any repair, installation or procedure done to any of my cars. I understand where you're coming from. IMO I would think that the spoiler could be moved simply by adjusting the mounting bolts 2MM to the left or right whichever side is off. Maybe one of our members is a body person and could comment.
That was my thought, too. From threads here in which people have posted pictures of their DIY spoiler installations, my recollection is that the spoiler is held in place with mounting bolts and double-faced trim mounting tape. I've never installed a spoiler, but I would guess that there is likely some room for positioning adjustment with the mounting bolts. If that is the case, repositioning the spoiler should be a fairly simple job requiring only the repositioning itself and replacement of the tape.

Even if no body shop technicians see this thread, perhaps, one of those who has done a DIY spoiler installation will chime in.
Old 06-20-14, 06:29 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If they used 3M tape along with the bolts (as they should to water seal it) moving it will basically mean reinstalling it.
Old 06-20-14, 09:09 AM
AFRetired
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a spoiler install about a month ago. Once that 3M tape takes hold, you aren't going to move that spoiler. For a 2mm offset, I wouldn't bother
Old 06-20-14, 11:31 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree. For 2mm it's not worth it as it would be a complete reinstall but if they use inferior tape to reinstall it that would be worse. Also the holes that are drilled into the trunk lid are somewhat larger than needed so there is some play there to move it around. If it's only 2mm off though it's better to leave it as is.
Old 06-21-14, 12:06 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not particularly difficult to remove the 3m tape. Just tedious. The procedure is, basically, to use dental floss to cut the tape between the two parts. If the bolt holes have enough wiggle room so that the part can be positioned properly, it can be removed and reinstalled.

But, the likelihood that any such installation will ever be "perfect" is slim to none. Some positioning error will occur every time. The real question is if the 2mm error is acceptable, and if the installer can remove it without messing up something else. It would be very easy to scratch the paint during the process.

If you have to look carefully to see it, it might be better to let it go.