ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Front Doors Flimsy

Old 06-17-14, 03:38 PM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Doors Flimsy

Has anyone realized how flimsy the front doors are? It's like when you close them you can see them shake/bounce as if therer isnt any reinforcement inside.
Old 06-17-14, 04:02 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? I complained how heavy and solid they were when I first got my ES.
Never could shut the door completely because they were so heavy.
Old 06-17-14, 04:08 PM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

yeah, everytime i close it i can see the door metal waving
Old 06-17-14, 04:20 PM
Lexusxoxo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pzerp
yeah, everytime i close it i can see the door metal waving
I would have the dealer check that.. Doesn't sound right.
Old 06-18-14, 02:04 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Can't say that I've noticed that on mine...

Poppa
Old 06-18-14, 04:55 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Has anyone realized how flimsy the front doors are? It's like when you close them you can see them shake/bounce as if therer isnt any reinforcement inside.
Not my '14! The doors close with a quality sound and feel surpassing that of my '07.
Old 06-18-14, 06:29 AM
IS350atWOT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. I have the 300h. You can see the door vibrate when you shut it. It's kind of concerning, but I don't think there's anything wrong. They probably cut some weight out of the doors to save on gas mileage which in turn made them a little less sturdy. I doubt it sacrifices safety or anything.
Old 06-18-14, 01:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I have to say that, in the year since I bought my ES, reading posts on this board has enlightened me about all of the things that are "wrong" with my car, and I've spent more time than I should have spent trying to detect all of these "known issues" in my vehicle. I've spent more time than I should have spent trying to find the supposedly defective leather/padding in the seats. I've spent too much time looking at the passenger seat headrest to see if, when the vehicle is moving, it is rattling about in some sort of abnormal manner. I've driven too many miles with the audio system off to try to hear the rattle in the driver's side window that is supposed to be there. Similarly, I've spent time trying to hear the engine knock that is supposed to be there. I could go on with the list, but you get the idea. And I must not be looking hard enough because, no matter how much I look, I can't find the "problems" that are supposed to be there. Perhaps, what I've learned most of all is that reading in internet forums is a good way to cause one to have diminished confidence in the products that he/she has bought.

I hate to admit that I just spent 10 minutes standing in my driveway, opening and closing the driver's side front door, and looking for "shake/bounce" in the door when it closed. If there is any, I certainly can't see it.

Since I can't see your vehicle, I can't know for sure what you are seeing, but, if you are seeing a flexing of the sheet metal in the door when it shuts, I suggest that it could well be caused by the fact that the ES is built as air-tight as it is. The act of closing the door increases the air pressure inside the cabin. That increased air pressure needs to be relieved, and it could be that the door is flexing a bit as the excess air in the cabin is finding its way out. I know that the fairly air-tight storm door at the front door of my house does the same when it is closed and when the main door is shut. Thus, if the ES door is flexing a bit when it is being closed, it could well be because of how well-built/air tight the vehicle is and not because the door is "flimsy".
Old 06-18-14, 01:23 PM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lesz
I have to say that, in the year since I bought my ES, reading posts on this board has enlightened me about all of the things that are "wrong" with my car, and I've spent more time than I should have spent trying to detect all of these "known issues" in my vehicle. I've spent more time than I should have spent trying to find the supposedly defective leather/padding in the seats. I've spent too much time looking at the passenger seat headrest to see if, when the vehicle is moving, it is rattling about in some sort of abnormal manner. I've driven too many miles with the audio system off to try to hear the rattle in the driver's side window that is supposed to be there. Similarly, I've spent time trying to hear the engine knock that is supposed to be there. I could go on with the list, but you get the idea. And I must not be looking hard enough because, no matter how much I look, I can't find the "problems" that are supposed to be there. Perhaps, what I've learned most of all is that reading in internet forums is a good way to cause one to have diminished confidence in the products that he/she has bought.

I hate to admit that I just spent 10 minutes standing in my driveway, opening and closing the driver's side front door, and looking for "shake/bounce" in the door when it closed. If there is any, I certainly can't see it.

Since I can't see your vehicle, I can't know for sure what you are seeing, but, if you are seeing a flexing of the sheet metal in the door when it shuts, I suggest that it could well be caused by the fact that the ES is built as air-tight as it is. The act of closing the door increases the air pressure inside the cabin. That increased air pressure needs to be relieved, and it could be that the door is flexing a bit as the excess air in the cabin is finding its way out. I know that the fairly air-tight storm door at the front door of my house does the same when it is closed and when the main door is shut. Thus, if the ES door is flexing a bit when it is being closed, it could well be because of how well-built/air tight the vehicle is and not because the door is "flimsy".
Old 06-18-14, 02:00 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time my doors vibrate is when I crank up the audio!
Old 06-18-14, 04:05 PM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

That could definitely be a good reason!
Old 06-18-14, 04:32 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

That could definitely be a good reason!
It should be pretty easy to check. Just roll down a window in the car and see what happens to the door flex when you close the door with the open window to provide a place for excess air pressure to relieve itself. I can't guarantee it, but I'd say that there is a good chance that you are seeing the door flex a bit because of how air-tight the build of the car is. I've seen cars with air-tight build actually have the windows flex a bit when the door is closed.
Old 06-18-14, 05:22 PM
scutmud
Driver School Candidate

Default Molding vibrates

I notice the molding below the door vibrate, but not the door itself
Old 06-19-14, 05:42 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't close my ES doors that hard so I don't see any of this.
Old 06-19-14, 07:39 AM
Pzerp
Driver School Candidate

It should be pretty easy to check. Just roll down a window in the car and see what happens to the door flex when you close the door with the open window to provide a place for excess air pressure to relieve itself. I can't guarantee it, but I'd say that there is a good chance that you are seeing the door flex a bit because of how air-tight the build of the car is. I've seen cars with air-tight build actually have the windows flex a bit when the door is closed.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Doors Flimsy