ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does anyone have RES+ installed in their ES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 10:10 AM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone have RES+ installed in their ES?

I'm considering the RES+ accessory for my 2014 ES300h. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I was looking at the installation manual and it requires an antenna to be stuck to the front passenger side of the glass. Seems like that would be in the way of the view.
Old 06-01-14, 07:11 AM
shotofwine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a thread already on this subject and the ones that have it say the range on the remote is very poor.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ter-range.html
Old 06-01-14, 08:45 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by shotofwine
There is a thread already on this subject and the ones that have it say the range on the remote is very poor.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ter-range.html
I think that you may be confusing RES and RES+. RES is the remote engine starter that allows you to start the vehicle via the fob for the vehicle when in range of the fob. RES+ allows you to start the vehicle from anywhere via a smart phone app.

The thread to which you have linked is an RES thread, but there are some posts toward the end of the thread about RES+.

Note that, while some have not been satisfied with the range of the RES, when I've tested mine, I've found the range to be about 100 feet, if there is direct line-of-sight between the vehicle and the fob, which is about what I would have expected.

It should also be noted that, for RES+, not only is there what seems to me to be a high cost for the hardware, but there is also a subscription charge to be able to use it. To me, somewhere along the line, buying subscriptions for satellite radio, RES+, nav weather, sports, and traffic, Lexus Safety Connect, Lexus Destination Assist, etc. starts to become a bit excessive, and I start to think twice about which of those features are the ones that I'm really going to make enough use of to justify the price of admission.
Old 06-01-14, 09:14 AM
shotofwine
Rookie

Good to know. Paying extra for a smartphone app access sounds a little insane to me.
Old 06-01-14, 04:12 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

I like res+ for a few reasons:
1. On a very hot/cold day I can start the car when I'm still in, for example, a restaurant.
2. I can double-check if I locked the doors. If I didn't, I can lock from anywhere
3. On a related note, if I'm far away from the car I can unlock if, for example, I need to let someone get something out of the car.
Old 06-01-14, 06:32 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,231 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by jakepdx
I like res+ for a few reasons:
1. On a very hot/cold day I can start the car when I'm still in, for example, a restaurant.
2. I can double-check if I locked the doors. If I didn't, I can lock from anywhere
3. On a related note, if I'm far away from the car I can unlock if, for example, I need to let someone get something out of the car.
I'd like to have a remote start that worked as promised, was reasonable to purchase, and didn't have a yearly or monthly subscription charge. I think that the RES+, although it may be a great accessory, is not worth the cost. Just like the Enform yearly charges.
Old 06-01-14, 06:45 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

To each their own, but it seems a bit odd to be turned off by a few hundred dollars when we're talking about a nearly $50k car.

What did you mean about "worked as promised"? It does exactly what I expected it to do for me.
Old 06-02-14, 12:01 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

To each their own, but it seems a bit odd to be turned off by a few hundred dollars when we're talking about a nearly $50k car.

What did you mean about "worked as promised"? It does exactly what I expected it to do for me.
I'm looking at it from a different vantage point. I think that if you spend nearly $50k for a car it should be included... And I would pay " a few hundred dollars" for a RS system but not a subscription every year. If you're happy that's all that really matters.
Old 06-02-14, 06:48 PM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with bc5162 that you would think a $50k car would include a feature like this. But I knew that before I purchased my ES.

@jakepdx, I'm curious how the antenna looks on the passenger side. Any chance you could post a pic?
Old 06-02-14, 08:56 PM
jakepdx
Rookie

It's fairly similar to this. I honestly didn't even notice it for the first week after it was installed, since I'm on the driver's side. Passengers sometimes ask about it, but only really observant ones.
Old 06-03-14, 06:45 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

It's fairly similar to this. I honestly didn't even notice it for the first week after it was installed, since I'm on the driver's side. Passengers sometimes ask about it, but only really observant ones.
I'm a bit confused about what I'm seeing in the picture. Is that the windshield in the photo?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-14, 08:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
I'm a bit confused about what I'm seeing in the picture. Is that the windshield in the photo?

Thanks.
Click on the "this" link Lesz. You'll see the antenna.
Old 06-03-14, 01:49 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
Click on the "this" link Lesz. You'll see the antenna.
I had clicked on the link, and I know that I'm seeing a picture of the antenna, but what I wasn't sure of is whether the antenna is attached to the windshield or whether it might be another window on the passenger's side of the vehicle.
Old 06-04-14, 07:05 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I had clicked on the link, and I know that I'm seeing a picture of the antenna, but what I wasn't sure of is whether the antenna is attached to the windshield or whether it might be another window on the passenger's side of the vehicle.
That's definitely the windshield. You can make out the visor and the black dots around the mirror.

It's much more obtrusive than I would have thought, though.
Old 06-04-14, 07:20 AM
jakepdx
Rookie

I think the scale is confusing. One skinny black of an antenna extends about an inch below the shading dots at the top of the windshield. It's seriously barely noticeable, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have RES+ installed in their ES?